Concordia Captain "tripped and fell" into lifeboat, really??

darrengs

The second in command made him go.

No, no ........ the third in command was pushed by the people who were getting in the life boat ....... and he pushed the second in command who in turn fell on the captain and made him tripp ....... that is how all of them ended up in that boat.

No, no ........ the third in command was pushed by the people who were getting in the life boat ....... and he pushed the second in command who in turn fell on the captain and made him tripp ....... that is how all of them ended up in that boat.

Hmmm...maybe as a last resort, passengers made him go saying we dont need you.

And he must have been carrying a bottle of superglue since he got stuck there for an hour.

"Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60 to 70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That’s how I found myself there.” He said he got stuck in the lifeboat for an hour before it was lowered into the water off the coast of Giglio island.

Also with him was Dimitri Christidis, the Greek second in command of the Concordia and Silvia Coronica, the third officer, according to La Repubblica newspaper."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022170/Costa-Concordia-captain-says-he-tripped-and-fell-into-lifeboat.html

We all know how hard it is to climb back out of a lifeboat and maybe give your place to a passenger. Much easier to just keep your seat warm and wait for someone to lower you to the sea.

I've read every piece of info I could and withheld my opinion until now.

This is the all time most absurd excuse I have ever heard. Its so stupid I am drawn to it like a moth to a flame, its like watching one of those reality tv shows, its so bad you can't turn away.

I do love the tee shirts the Italians are wearing. The ones that say "get theF**# back on the ship".

Guess his 2nd and 3rd officers must have tripped too since they were all in the same lifeboat. COWARDS.

For me, the audio recording between the Port Authority and the Captain says it all.

Bravo to the Port Authority, the rescuers on land, the off duty Captain Bosio and the brave staff that actually helped. The Captain just keeps digging himself into a deeper hole.

This!

He's incredibly foolish for steering the ship so close to shore, and then trying to say the rock was not on his map. (it's not on the map now, it's sticking out of the side of his ship!)

He's irresponsible for not holding a muster drill before setting sail, and not making sure ahead of time that each lifeboat had a designated driver who knew how to drive the boat!

He's stupid for wasting an hour turning the ship around when he should have called a mayday and ordered the ship abandoned the second it started taking on water. Had he done so, the lifeboats on both sides of the ship could have been used and more people would have made it off safely without overcrowding the life boats.

He's a disgusting coward for abandoning ship before the passengers and when caught, for giving the Coast Guard an argument when they ordered him back on board.

He's inhumane for not making sure everyone else got off the ship, and for not assisting them to do so!

And he's a total idiot if he thinks anyone is going to believe his "I fell into a life boat" fairytale.

Did none of these personality traits show themselves before this? He shouldn't have been allowed to play with a plastic boat in a bath tub, much less captain a cruise ship!

Before the three stooges tripped and all fell into the same lifeboat, I had read that Chicken of the Sea was seen drinking in the bar? I can't find anything more about that. If so, and he was SUI (Sailing Under the Influence) was he trying to get out of there before they were able to do a sobriety check on him???

Before the three stooges tripped and all fell into the same lifeboat, I had read that Chicken of the Sea was seen drinking in the bar? I can't find anything more about that. If so, and he was SUI (Sailing Under the Influence) was he trying to get out of there before they were able to do a sobriety check on him???

Not only SUI, but driving a ship while talking on his cell phone!

I'm afraid that would require a level of intelligence and forethought.

I don't see either. As a person who has lost a child, and two brothers my heart goes out to those suffering a loss. As a human being my heart goes out to those forced to live though a terrifying event. In many ways the actions of some people have made my heart swell. In many ways the actions or inaction of some people have broken the same heart.

I do know this, I will never get on a ship of that size, regardless of who is running it.

Now, how do I get one of those nifty tee shirts??!!!!

He's incredibly foolish for steering the ship so close to shore, and then trying to say the rock was not on his map. (it's not on the map now, it's sticking out of the side of his ship!)

He's irresponsible for not holding a muster drill before setting sail, and not making sure ahead of time that each lifeboat had a designated driver who knew how to drive the boat!

He's stupid for wasting an hour turning the ship around when he should have called a mayday and ordered the ship abandoned the second it started taking on water. Had he done so, the lifeboats on both sides of the ship could have been used and more people would have made it off safely without overcrowding the life boats.

He's a disgusting coward for abandoning ship before the passengers and when caught, for giving the Coast Guard an argument when they ordered him back on board.

He's inhumane for not making sure everyone else got off the ship, and for not assisting them to do so!

And he's a total idiot if he thinks anyone is going to believe his "I fell into a life boat" fairytale.

Did none of these personality traits show themselves before this? He shouldn't have been allowed to play with a plastic boat in a bath tub, much less captain a cruise ship!

Very well said!

"The cruise ship captain under fire for abandoning his vessel while thousands of passengers scrambled for rescue has reportedly come up with an explanation for his flight - he accidentally tripped and fell into a lifeboat."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57361085/report-captain-claims-he-tripped-into-lifeboat/

This is getting absurd now.

And it just started moving towards land...how convenient!

I totally agree - excellent post !

Praying for those lost.

If he tripped and fell into the lifeboat, it contradicts what he earlier told the Port Authority Officer, De Falco:

Italian Coast Guard Capt. Gregorio De Falco: "Captain. This is De Falco from Livorno."

Schettino: "Commandant, I’ve also alerted the company… I’m being told that there are still passengers on board, apparently they are about one hundred… but I repeat…"

De Falco: "Captain. You are not able to tell me an exact figure? About a hundred people, it seems?

Schettino: "Commandant, I am not able to give you an exact figure because let me explain... while we were evacuating the last passengers… now we are all here with all the officers…"

De Falco: "Where are you? On the lifeboats? All the officers?"

Schettino: "Yes, we are with the second commander…"

De Falco: "Forgive me, but before you were only with a sailor. If the officers managed to get down, it means that they could still move."

Schettino: "Yes...in fact...

De Falco: "Then why don’t they get back on board? To monitor the operation and then they can tell us. Thank you."

Schettino: "No it is not possible…"

De Falco: "Send them on board. Send one person on board to coordinate..."

Schettino: "But I am doing the coordination."

De Falco: "I’m giving you an order captain. You need to send someone on board."

Schettino: "We are going on board to coordinate."

De Falco: "Exactly. You need to get on board to coordinate the evacuation. Is that clear?!"

Schettino: "But we can’t get on board now…the ship is now…(hard to understand)..."

De Falco: "Why did you tell them to get down?"

Schettino: "What do you mean get down? We abandoned the ship…the ship turned ..."

De Falco: "...and with one hundred people on board you abandon the ship? (expletive)"

Schettino: "I did not abandon any ship with 100 people…the ship (hard to understand)...we were catapulted into the water..."

De Falco: We’ll see later what happened. OK? Now tell me everything that takes place. Everything. Get under with the lifeboat (not very clear at this point). Don’t move. Clear?"

Schettino: "Commandant..we are here…we are here..."

That would not be the first lie Schettino told. He made an announcement to the passengers that the problem was an electrical malfunction. The first conversation with the port authority was deceptive as well:

Port authority: "Concordia, We ask you if all is well there."

Concordia: "All is well. It is only a technical failure."

Sounds like 3 lies, and counting... :mad:

Archived