Anchorage

gschwartz001

My DH and I are planning an few days touring independently before joining our RCCL cruisetour in Anchorage in July. We are spending a couple days in Fairbanks then flying to Anchorage to pick up tour. We arrive at 6pm and meet our cruisetour the next day. Since the cruisetour does not plan anything for arrival day, we have the fnight we arrive and the full day on Sunday in Anchorage. Any ideas of what we can do that day in Anchorage or good places to go Saturday night? Do we need a rental car or is it easy to get around using taxis? We are staying at the Anchorage Marriott if that helps from a transportation perspective. Thanks!

Since you're doing a cruisetour, I'm guessing a rental car isn't an option for you, but I'd rent a car and drive along the Turnagain Arm. Lots to see and do for a full day :

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Otherwise look at the Anchorage city web site for some ideas. Depends on your interests and activity level. www.anchorage.net

There's a farmers market downtown on weekends, free shuttle to the Native Alaska Heritage center, museums, earthquake park,

Restaurant choicces depending on your interest: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60880-Anchorage_Alaska.html

Catching a taxi from the airport should be no problem--they are always waiting out there. In town, however, there are not a lot of taxi stands, or taxis cruising around looking for fares. You usually have to call for one, but the taxi dispatcher can usually get one to you within a few minutes.

Keep in mind that we have a ridiculous amount of daylight in June/July. Sunset won't be much before 1030PM (and even so, there are very long twighlights either side of sunrise and sunset).

Do you need a car? That all depends on what you want to do. Some suggestions if you don't have a car...

Sunday morning: Go to the Anchorage market, roughly 8 blocks from your hotel. Lots of crafts, food, and souvenirs. Allow 1-2 hours

See the Anchorage Museum. Roughly 5 blocks from either the market, or your hotel. Allow 2 hours.

See the Native Heritage Center. You'll need a taxi ride to get there and back, as it is roughly 6 miles from downtown. Figure 2-3 hours to see.

If the weather is nice, consider renting bicycles and riding on Anchorage's network of paved trails, which follow creeks and the shoreline.

If you have a car...

I'd recommend driving out to see the Independence Mine State Park in Hatchers Pass, north of Wasilla/Palmer. Round trip from Anchorage, allow about 5 hours for this excursion.

The previous poster's suggestion of seeing Turnagain Arm is a good one, but the bus/train taking you to your ship will take the same route.

If you are hikers, consider hiking to the top of Flat Top Mountain southeast of Anchorage. However, as parking can be tight, get there early. The round trip is approximately 4 hours.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. If we wanted to rent a car, I read on these boards that downtown locations are usually cheaper. Does anyone know if there is a downtown rental location nearby our hotel that is recommended?

The closest one would be the Budget Office and that's probably about a 5 block walk (across the street from the Captain Cook). 3 blocks north and 2 blocks west. Check out their open and closing times, especially on a weekend.

Susan in Anchorage :)

The closest one would be the Budget Office and that's probably about a 5 block walk (across the street from the Captain Cook). 3 blocks north and 2 blocks west. Check out their open and closing times, especially on a weekend.

Hi Susan,

I looked on the internet for Budget Office and couldn't find it.....is this the correct name for the car rental place?

Laura

See the Native Heritage Center. You'll need a taxi ride to get there and back, as it is roughly 6 miles from downtown. Figure 2-3 hours to see.

Actually there should be a free shuttle from downtown to the Native Heritage Center, if the past is any indication of the coming summer.

The previous poster's suggestion of seeing Turnagain Arm is a good one, but the bus/train taking you to your ship will take the same route.

Same route, but different perspective. The bus won't stop at Potter Marsh and various turnouts or go to Girdwood or the hand tram or Crow Creek Mine. They might go to the Wildlife Conservation Center or maybe Portage Glacier area/visitor center, but probably not both and certainly not enough time to walk to Byron Glacier. There is so much to do/see along this route that driving it once at your own pace and once again on a bus with minimal stops is hardly backtracking :)

Thanks for all the great suggestions. If we wanted to rent a car, I read on these boards that downtown locations are usually cheaper. Does anyone know if there is a downtown rental location nearby our hotel that is recommended?

Forget downtown pick ups. Off-airport locations are closed. You said you are arriving Saturday night and have Sunday free. Pick up Saturday night at the airport and drop off again Sunday night at the airport in time for a free cruisetour bus to get you back to the hotel.

Hi Susan,

I looked on the internet for Budget Office and couldn't find it.....is this the correct name for the car rental place?

Laura

Oops! :o Got my companies mixed up, it's Hertz, that's across the street from the Captain Cook.

I just checked and unfortunately, they show that they aren't open on Saturdays and Sundays. But you could always call them to see if for the summer they'll be open on the weekend.

I had friends use Enterprise one year. Enterprise came to the hotel and got them, took them back to the office to fill out the paperwork and then did it the reverse when they dropped it off.

The other company downtown that isn't too far is Avis. They are on B Street between 4th and 5th, while you're staying on 8th between H and I. So let's see 6 blocks east and 3 blocks north.

Again, check out the hours on the downtown locations.

So my DH and I decided to rent a car. We were able to get a good rate renting from Avis at the airport and returning car Sunday downtown since it is an easy walk from the hotel. The office is open until 5 which works perfectly for us.

So we are planning to go the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center on Sunday, but are still undecided on what else to do. Now that we have a car, what are the must sees?

So my DH and I decided to rent a car. We were able to get a good rate renting from Avis at the airport and returning car Sunday downtown since it is an easy walk from the hotel. The office is open until 5 which works perfectly for us.

So we are planning to go the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center on Sunday, but are still undecided on what else to do. Now that we have a car, what are the must sees?

If you head north out the Glenn Highway, there is the Alaska Native Heritage Center http://www.alaskanative.net/, a walk to Thunderbird Falls, the spirit houses at Eklutna. The Reindeer farm in Palmer. Just a few of the things that you could visit going north.

• 3 weeks later...

If I was to arrive in Anchorage at 10:45 a.m. and was staying at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek, would I be able to catch a shuttle at the Ulu Factory and have enough time to see the Alaskan Native Heritage Center? Maybe I would have to take a taxi back? And would the hotel hold my bags since check in is not until 4?

Archived