Q re 2 snorkel operators in Raiatea & BB

Oregonian

My wife and I will be on the TP in Sept. and are snorkeling fanatics. Does anybody have any experience with Tane Catamaran which does semi-private all day snorkeling trips in Raiatea, or with TopDive (primarily a scuba outfit) which does a morning shark/ray feeding/snorkeling trip and an afternoon lagoon snorkel in Bora Bora? Does anybody know anything about Bora Bora's Coral Gardens (one of their snorkel spots)? Also does anybody know where the tender lands in Bora Bora?

Oregonian

Long PS: I've read all the threads I could find about snorkeling in the islands we visit and the reviews of Bruno (Raiatea) and Stephane (both islands) seem to be bipolar, while those of Shark Boy (BB) are lukewarm and Princess' tours are ok but overpriced. From a personal point of view, spending time at a pearl farm or vanilla farm, or seeing/swimming with penned fish, all lack appeal. Also, we've snorkeled in Bonaire's Lac Bay which is very shallow and has myriad upside-down jellyfish inches below you. While we enjoyed this (and love Bonaire), we found this very uncomfortable so are not wild about drift snorkeling in a narrow twisty channel in the sharp coral.

We also love to snorkel. We did the princess drift snorkel tour to Tahaa when we were in Raiatea. It is a not to miss tour for snorkel lovers. We cruised to the spot, drift snorkeled in the pass twice, snorkeled on our own and then return to the port after a cruise by Tahaa. Nothing but water and snorkeling. Highly recommended.

If you love snorkeling, as we do recommend:

1. Marc's trip in Huahine

2. Moana Tours in BB

3. Go to the Sheraton and snorkel from their beach around the OWB's in Moorea or the Sofitel

Those were the best for us. We did the TP ray ballet and snorkel in BB but it was not as good as the spots the Moana Tour people took us to on our private trip. It's expensive but if you have 4 people instead of the 2 we had would be cheaper.

Archived