On shore food cost?

1sttimecruisingcouple

Food costs will vary depending on where you eat, but assume prices are about the same as or maybe a little more than you'd pay in a tourist location in the States. (Ever been to Disney? Kind of like food prices there, IME. :D)

Everywhere is safe to eat. Cayman is a first world country. If you want to go mass market and eat at Burger King, Wendy's, KFC or Dairy Queen, you can do that. All of those chains are relatively easily reached from the port area. I think there's a Subway near Seven Mile Beach, too, but since I'm not a fan I've never bothered to go looking for it. ;)

A pretty comprehensive guide to restaurants can be found here:

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/

Look for restaurants in the George Town or Seven Mile Beach areas. There will be menus, prices, maps, etc. on each listing, so you can get an idea of what's available and what the prices are like. (Prices will usually be listed in Cayman dollars - $1 CI = $1.20 US.)

And 15% gratuity is automatically added to your bill at most sit down establishments, so check your bill before adding a tip.

so to simplify the math, when you see the prices in CI, take your US dollars and figure a 40% tip and you'll be pretty close . . . ;)

i wonder if that place across the street from the pier - turn left- tortuga place I think is its name... they sold these beef patties that look like pies

Last time we were there they were a buck--boy were they good.

But we have not been here for quite a few years now.

Some places take USA$1 = Cayman $1, but others convert.

Really? Which places? 'cause I've never found any that would take US at par, and I'd really like to shop there if there are ones that do... :confused:

Grand Cayman is probably populated 60/40 in favour of ex-pats who work in the financial sector. The area you will be docking is Georgetown and there are not many 'island' food places like you would find on some of the other smaller islands as demand for that kind of food in that area is not especially high and most of the offerings will be quite American. Food prices can be high depending on what you eat as the majority of fresh (fish excluded) produce has to be imported.

Really? Which places? 'cause I've never found any that would take US at par, and I'd really like to shop there if there are ones that do... :confused:

I really don't shop a lot in the Caymans, so I was referring to food and drink. But as another poster pointed out, I'm sure those prices have already been inflated. (For shopping, I did have to buy some "Big Black Dick Rum". Makes for a great gift. Engenders lively discussion.)

Archived