Lighters on Planes

coveman

Starting today cigarette lighters are being banned by all U.S. Airlines in either carried on or stowed luggage or on you're person. You may have 4 packs of safety matches but no lighters will be allowed on planes anywhere.

We saw the sign in the airport when we were there on Monday. They are also saying that soon, even matches will be banned (of any kind) on flights. Sure would love to have the lighter concession in these airports when this does happen. LOL

According to the traveler updates I get in the morning, they tried to put matches on the ban, but it wont ever happen as they are more difficult to detect on the x-rays.

Good god they go to far, if they do ban matches how will I steralize my eyeliner?

LOL:D

I'm rather curious when someone will come to the realization that the billions they have spent on airtravel safety has done absolutely nothing but make air travel more inconvient.

The hijackers didn't have guns, they had box cutters, and guess what they can do the same thing with plastic knives or a pen ! More and more regulation more and more security checks. Does anyone actually think that if 9/11 was tommorow any of the measures in place today would have prevented it ?

I hate politicians when they get in the mode of we must do something so the public feels safe rather then work on a solution to the problem.

Just came back last weekend off the Dawn and flew from Cleveland to Fort Lauderdale with no problems with lighters in my purse and in my pocket. I brought matches just in case but absolutely no problems.

DebT1022

Golden Princess 10-04

Dawn Princess 3-05

Pride of America 11-05

Just got back from the Dawn last weekend and flew from Cleveland to Fort Lauderdale with a lighter in my purse and a lighter in my pocket and had no problems. I had matches just in case but didn't need them.

Oops sorry-double post-didn't think it took first time

DebT1022

Golden Princess 10-04

Dawn Princess 3-05

Pride of America 11-05

The news just reported that at the Wichta airport they collected over 100 lighters today alone.

Just put the lighter in your check-in luggage. There is no way TSA is gonna be able to screen all the lighters ... not without doubling their workforce.

It's just plain stupid. If a lighter is in your checked bag ... which is inaccessible to you while on the aircraft, what's the problem? What possible risk to the safety of the flight could it represent? Of course, I'm talking a BIC here ... not a huge butane table lighter. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

The US government chickened out of the next step which they hope to bring in after another couple of years. All passengers will be stripped naked and then made to wear pre-approved sackcloth before being allowed on the plane. Throughout the flight the Hari-Krishner organisation will provide calming chants and music to all passengers who must remain hand-cuffed to their seats. The only approved movie will be a feature length version of the Teletubbies saying how much they love each other in every language on this earth. Stimulants such as coffee and cola will be banned and replaced with bottled water meeting new legislation (i.e. contains sedatives).

Ken

Just put the lighter in your check-in luggage. There is no way TSA is gonna be able to screen all the lighters ... not without doubling their workforce.

It's just plain stupid. If a lighter is in your checked bag ... which is inaccessible to you while on the aircraft, what's the problem? What possible risk to the safety of the flight could it represent? Of course, I'm talking a BIC here ... not a huge butane table lighter. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

It is illegal to transport ANY lighter in checked luggage, and has been for quite some time now. In reality, it happens every day, but does anyone really want to risk another ValuJet?

However (and I checked this out Wednesday), a Bic lighter in your pants pocket will NOT set off the WTMD (metal detector) at security. For the lighter to be detected, the equipment would have to be set at such a high setting that it would also alarm on zippers, rivets in jeans, necklaces, and rings.

The only way this latest "security" measure can be enforced is for ALL passengers to be secondaried and ALL carry-on bags dumped. If it ever gets to that level, I give it about one week before the complaints of four-hour long security lines force some sort of change.

All this comes from one moron who tried to light off his sneakers - a one-shot deal which the flying public will not allow to be repeated (unless you think those bumps on Richard Reid's face were acne); two idiot Senators (Dorgan - ND, and Wyden - OR) with proven anti-smoking agendas; and the TSA, who took the original ban of butane lighters and extended it to ALL lighters (because some screeners aren't smart enough to know the difference).

Write your Senators and demand this latest "security" measure be rescinded, before Ken's tongue-in-cheek scenario becomes a reality!

I support any measures that they take if it keeps 9-11 from happening again.

Now what the hell am I going to do with my lighters?

Amen. Smoking a death stick should not take precedence over the safety of ALL passengers.

It is illegal to transport ANY lighter in checked luggage, and has been for quite some time now. In reality, it happens every day, but does anyone really want to risk another ValuJet?

A bic in checked luggage would not cause another ValuJet. No heat, the heat came from the chem reaction in the O2 cannisters.

Talking about Critter, (one of my favorite airlines before brought out) I wonder if they ever got the smoke detectors in the baggage area yet. It appears the fire on VJ started on the ground and if they had a smoke detector the plane would have never taken off.

I can understand the lighter okay, but the guy who tried to light his shoes used a strike anywhere (wooden) match, outlawing safety matches is going a little to far. Because you cant detect them by x-ray. Lighters have been banned for years in checked baggage.

I am happy to say I am a NEW (6 days and counting) ex-smoker but like I said above I use matches for my eyeliner PRIOR, LOL, to putting it on.

As long as the lines dont get longer and force me to leave sooner for the airport I dont care what they do. But as I travel 2 to 3 weeks every month for my job this could be a real problem.

Its being asked to remove my shoes because the silly little bit of metal shoemakers include in womens shoes triggers the arch sensor which drives me nuts .......I cant wear slip on shoes so all my shoes have dainty straps and in order to keep packing to a miniumum I travel in a nice black pair that i can wear in the evenings on a cruise so taking them off is a pain ...........i would not mind if they triggered the security arches in all other countries but they dont ........its only in the USA they have gone so darn overboard

Yet they refuse to face the dangers of glass bottles of spirits etc being bought on planes as duty free

The most lethal weapon outside any pub is a broken bottle .......terrorists know that all too well

Its being asked to remove my shoes because the silly little bit of metal shoemakers include in womens shoes triggers the arch sensor which drives me nuts .......I cant wear slip on shoes so all my shoes have dainty straps and in order to keep packing to a miniumum I travel in a nice black pair that i can wear in the evenings on a cruise so taking them off is a pain ...........i would not mind if they triggered the security arches in all other countries but they dont ........its only in the USA they have gone so darn overboard

Geez, I wonder why

Yet they refuse to face the dangers of glass bottles of spirits etc being bought on planes as duty free

the next time I see someone running down the aisle carrying a bottle of gin, I will be sure and tackle him. They can't take us all out with spirits

The most lethal weapon outside any pub is a broken bottle .......terrorists know that all too well

I agree that a broken bottle is a lethal weapon anywhere, not just outside of pubs. But when they start smashing them on the cloth seats to try and break the bottles, I think someone will notice

Taking your shoes off is a pain, folding your nice jacket and stuffing it in those trays is a pain, making sure you have no metal whatsoever is a pain, having a metal plate somewhere in your body only gets you really wanded, you carryon checked, what a pain.

Watching the dogs sniff the luggage - priceless :)

I support any measures that they take if it keeps 9-11 from happening again.

Now what the hell am I going to do with my lighters?

As if anything they are doing has any effect on terrorism. Absolutely anything is a weapon in the hands of a terrorists, a simple pen can be used to pierce a juggler or kill in a number of other ways. Do we confiscate pens ? No ? Ok .. this is all "fell good" policy, wasting everyones time, wasting a lot of money, and doing absoultely nothing to stop terrorism.

The two GOOD things they have done are reinforced cockpit doors and more air marshals, those things can have an impact. Everything else is such a waste of time and money.

A bic in checked luggage would not cause another ValuJet. No heat, the heat came from the chem reaction in the O2 cannisters.

You are correct. However, that is the logic for disallowing lighters in checked luggage (maybe they're afraid the rats in the cargo hold will flick the Bic?).

Archived