Are passports Taken by Oceania?

atraveldeal

That could have something to do with the fact that I was in high school when he first traveled out of the country, and I myself didn't go to Europe until I was 28. But I didn't say that because that would have been confrontational!

The travails of being a child bride ;)

LOL. I was FAR from a child bride!

But Howard is 7 years older than I am and his first trip was right out of college, and my first trip was about 8 years AFTER college.

Makes a difference ...

Especially in passport renewal dates!

Mura

From Aruba:

On each of the 3 times I have been to Rome with Oceania, passports were distributed by ship's staff; we were instructed to carry them with us into Rome. That's one of the few ports I can think of, at least in the Mediterranean, where Oceania has returned the passports for the day. [/i]

Yes, although I should have said Civitavecchia rather than Rome. Each time we have docked in Civitavecchia, Oceania has distributed passports to all guests the evening before, then collected the passports again as we returned to the ship the next afternoon.

I've been to Civitavecchia with Oceania 3 times and this has happened each time. I don't know why...and it's not a big deal except that in the July or August heat of Rome, the passport gets almost as sweaty as I do.

It happens. Flat tires, getting lost, an hour confusion due to a time zone change, ... and you can miss the ship. No, I never missed the ship, but it happens. And it would be a tremendous burden to try to catch up with the ship at the next port without a passport, especially if the next port is in another country. Try missing the ship in Port Said and rejoining in Ashdod without your passport.

For that reason, only under very limited circumstances would I ever leave the ship without my passport.

It happens. Flat tires, getting lost, an hour confusion due to a time zone change, ... and you can miss the ship. No, I never missed the ship, but it happens. And it would be a tremendous burden to try to catch up with the ship at the next port without a passport, especially if the next port is in another country. Try missing the ship in Port Said and rejoining in Ashdod without your passport.

For that reason, only under very limited circumstances would I ever leave the ship without my passport.

Funny, because only under very limited circumstances would I ever TAKE my passport (although a planned overnight off the ship would be one of those circumstances).

Color Photocopies of the information Page of ones passport are enough to resolve almost any issue, and for anything more serious, a trip back to the secure Safe in my cabin on the ship would be the least of my worries.

Funny, because only under very limited circumstances would I ever TAKE my passport (although a planned overnight off the ship would be one of those circumstances).

Color Photocopies of the information Page of ones passport are enough to resolve almost any issue, and for anything more serious, a trip back to the secure Safe in my cabin on the ship would be the least of my worries.

Color Photocopies of the information Page are probably enough to get you into a hotel or a club, or to get your consulate to issue a new passport. They are probably not enough to convince an airline to fly you to the next country, or to convince the border officer of another country to let you in. They may or may not be enough to convince a police officer to let you go when involved in something they care about (car accident, witness to a crime, etc.)

The reasons for not taking the passport ashore, I presume, are to avoid having it lost, stolen, or damaged. All good reasons.

I view the probabilities of losing the passport while ashore or missing the ship at about the same. Both equally small probabilities. However, the consequences of being ashore with no passport and much more severe than being on board without one. On board you can be proactive and contact your consulate n ports ahead to prepare a passport for you, you can email them your info and your color photocopies, and enjoy your cruise in the meantime. Ashore, you are stuck until you can get a new passport to catch up with the ship. If there is no consulate in that country, you could be stuck for a long time.

Now, of course, this rationale holds for me when the probabilities of losing the passport or missing the ship at about the same. This is not always true. If I am just leaving the ship on a ship excursion to go scuba diving, the probability of missing the ship is about zero, and the probablility of getting the passport wet is quite high. In such a situation I would leave the passport in my safe (or in care of O). But for most shore visits I would take my passport, and ALWAYS take it if there is no consulate where I am, or the next port is in another country.

hopefully if Oceania is in possession of your passport & you miss the ship they will leave your passport with the port agent

A good reason to take that information with you when going ashore it is in the CURRENTS

If you are delayed on the way back to the ship & know you will miss sailaway time CALL THE PORT AGENT

Unless you have a vehicle breakdown or an accident there is NO reason to miss the ship

Archived