Mel Fisher treasure Museum-tell me about it.

TravelRocker

Hi, I'm trying to find some unusual places to go to and things to do while in Key West and see that Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum is just off Duval St. (where most of the activity is). For those of you who have visited the Museum can you tell me if you thought it was a valuable usage of time, what was there, how big, can you "touch" the items. (I ask this because I once saw a documentary showing a women covered with that huge, heavy gold chain).

Is there anything to purchase other than the $$$$$ items? Is there any kind of video presentation before the museum or is it just mainly a big store? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Hi, I'm trying to find some unusual places to go to and things to do while in Key West and see that Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum is just off Duval St. (where most of the activity is). For those of you who have visited the Museum can you tell me if you thought it was a valuable usage of time, what was there, how big, can you "touch" the items. (I ask this because I once saw a documentary showing a women covered with that huge, heavy gold chain).

Is there anything to purchase other than the $$$$$ items? Is there any kind of video presentation before the museum or is it just mainly a big store? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

I've never gone in but it seems like several of your questions are answered on their web page ---> http://www.melfisher.org/index.htm

Pjk

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. I did go to their website before asking my questions, actually there is not a whole lot of info there. As far as souvenirs....a T-shirt! Jewelery to buy, A $295.00 "replica" coin. I didn't really find what I was looking for. Anybody else??? thanks.

It has been awhile since I have been to the museum. This is what I recall. In the front there is a small gift shop and at the side a place where you can see a movie about Mel Fisher and his treasure hunting and how he found Nuestra Senora de Atocha, a Spanish treasure ship lost in a storm.

Then you go in a series of rooms that have various artifacts, gold coins, emeralds, gold chains and items from the ship. There used to be a gold block you could lift, but someone stole it about a year ago and I don't know if it has been recovered. We had no opportunity to wear a gold chain, but I'm not saying that it might happen on some tours. There are some pirate items, if I recall exactly.

There is a store in the museum (not the same as the gift shop in front) that sells very expensive jewelry made from Atocha replicas and real treasure. It is quite attractive and fun to see. I didn't buy any and they do not pressure you to buy anything.

That is what I recall. Mel Fisher's museum is one of the best attended museums in South Florida. I felt it was very worthwhile to see the Spanish treasure and was amazed how much there was.

Archived