From Cork Train Station to HOHO bus stop

Our May cruise will call at Cobh in Ireland. We plan to take the train from Cobh to Cork. Upon arrival at Cork, we plan to take the HOHO bus for sightseeing.

Has anyone done that before? If so, could you please tell me:

1. How to get to the HOHO bus stop from the Cork train station?

2. How far/long is the walk from the train station to the HOHO bus stop?

3. I think the HOHO bus has 15 stops. Which stop is the closest to the train station?

4. Can you purchase the HOHO bus tickets on the bus with a credit card?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!!:)

Our May cruise will call at Cobh in Ireland. We plan to take the train from Cobh to Cork. Upon arrival at Cork, we plan to take the HOHO bus for sightseeing.

Has anyone done that before? If so, could you please tell me:

1. How to get to the HOHO bus stop from the Cork train station?

2. How far/long is the walk from the train station to the HOHO bus stop?

3. I think the HOHO bus has 15 stops. Which stop is the closest to the train station?

4. Can you purchase the HOHO bus tickets on the bus with a credit card?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!!:)

After more researches on various websites, I found the answers to my questions. In case others are interested, the answers to my questions are as follows:

1. From Cobh to Cork, get off at the "Kent" Railway station on Lower Glanmire Road. Turn right after exit station. Lower Glanmire Road will turn into Mac Curtain St.

Stay on Mac Curtain St. Left on St. Patrick Street. Left on St. Patrick's Quay. There is a HOHO bus stop on St. Patrick's Quay.

2. Should be less than 15 minutes walk from railway station.

3. HOHO bus stop closest to Kent railway station is "St. Patrick's Quay" stop.

4. You can pay with credit card.

After more researches on various websites, I found the answers to my questions. In case others are interested, the answers to my questions are as follows:

1. From Cobh to Cork, get off at the "Kent" Railway station on Lower Glanmire Road. Turn right after exit station. Lower Glanmire Road will turn into Mac Curtain St.

Stay on Mac Curtain St. Left on St. Patrick Street. Left on St. Patrick's Quay. There is a HOHO bus stop on St. Patrick's Quay.

Hey Chubbypiggy, slow down, this is Ireland, things go a little slower than that!:D

The answers to your own questions are pretty accurate except you should TURN LEFT when you exit the station (turn right and you will end up back in Cobh!). Exit Kent Station, turn left, cross one road, at the next road (Coliseum amusements in front of you) cross over and go left.

take next road to right (do not cross river) and that is Patricks Quay.

If you want any more info just ask, but allow a few days for us all to have a chat about it over here before we get back to you!;)

Hey Chubbypiggy, slow down, this is Ireland, things go a little slower than that!:D

The answers to your own questions are pretty accurate except you should TURN LEFT when you exit the station (turn right and you will end up back in Cobh!). Exit Kent Station, turn left, cross one road, at the next road (Coliseum amusements in front of you) cross over and go left.

take next road to right (do not cross river) and that is Patricks Quay.

If you want any more info just ask, but allow a few days for us all to have a chat about it over here before we get back to you!;)

http://www.cork-guide.ie/cork-city-railway-station.html

http://www.johnthemap.co.uk/pages/mainbody/cork_citymb.html

I used a map from my Fodor's travel book, and Kent station was not on it. I found Lower Glanmire Road on the map, and it seems I need to turn right, that was why I said "turn right". Last night I found the above two links, and realized I should turn left; so I plan to post this morning to correct my post.

Thank you for correcting my wrong turn.

From the map, it seems the "next" street is Ship St., so, I guess I should turn left on Ship St., right?

Thanks.

Sorry, I miscounted as I forgot about Railway Street! You will cross Railway Street and then cross Ship Street. then cross over the street labeled R614 on the 'Cork Guide' map. When you zoom in on the map its called 'Summerhill'. Turn left towards the river, but before crossing the river, turn right onto St Patrick's Quay.

The walk you suggested of along McCurtain street and turn left down Bridge Street and left again onto Patrick's Quay would work fine, however there is a nicer view over the western side of the city if you go my way!

Sorry, I miscounted as I forgot about Railway Street! You will cross Railway Street and then cross Ship Street. then cross over the street labeled R614 on the 'Cork Guide' map. When you zoom in on the map its called 'Summerhill'. Turn left towards the river, but before crossing the river, turn right onto St Patrick's Quay.

The walk you suggested of along McCurtain street and turn left down Bridge Street and left again onto Patrick's Quay would work fine, however there is a nicer view over the western side of the city if you go my way!

Sounds great! If the views are good, I might decide to walk all the way to St. Patrick's st., then go left and go all the way to Grand Parade.

Thanks.:)

Just to reassure you the previous poster is correct! Its turn LEFT when you exit Kent station!

Useful link below for understanding the locals also

http://www.irishabroad.com/culture/slang/corkslang2.asp

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are on the Jewel in sept 2012. Does the hoho bus stop at the pier? What is the cost?

If you're interested in seeing Cork via HOHO, you first have to take the somewhat-short train ride from Cobh (the town where the ship docks) into Cork (bigger city). The Cobh train station is next to the pier. You can buy a ticket right then and there at the station.

Seems like this may be the link to the Cork HOHO bus....

http://www.corkcitytour.com/

Archived