Have you sailed Allure? Then have I got questions for you...

Kenlorz

We will be on our very first cruise next year and have chosen the Allure Western Itinerary. We have been using Cruise Critic Boards DAILY...thanks to all for the tons and tons of awesome information!!!! You have all been so incredibly helpful and we have made extensive plans off of all your valuable insight.

I still have a few questions I can't seem to find the answers to, so any help on ANY of the questions below would be greatly appreciated.

1) Very early on in our exploratory process, we saw a picture on someone's review of the Allure that showed some old-time wooden steamer chairs somewhere on the ship. I'm a nostalgic kind of gal and would love to go lounge in one for a bit, but I can't seem to find any information on where they are located on the ship or if they even still exist. Anyone know if they do exist and where they are? THANKS!

2) We plan to hit most of the specialty dining restaurants and only plan on eating in the MDR on two evenings. We are trying to plan our reservations out and think we will be eating in the MDR on the two formal nights. Can anyone confirm that they are (for sure) the 2nd and 5th nights on the Western Itineraray and does anyone know what the menu consists of on those 2 nights? THANKS!

3) Has anyone done the Prohibition Party yet? I've seen very limited review info on it, so far. I have read the one detailed review, but would love some more info if anyone has gone to it. Things like.... are all the drinks included? Can you get more than just the hendricks gin drinks in the included fee? Do they have apps and, if yes, what kind? How many people actually dress in costume for the event? THANKS!

4) We really think we might like to try Quest...even join a team, but I have a few reservations. I know the details of the game are very "Hush, Hush" and I know I could just Youtube some of the games, but don't want to spoil the night. So, I'm kind of clueless of what really goes on and whether I should even be on a team. I am not a shy person, by any means. I am very adventerous and spontaneous and love to be competitive...BUT...I am also very modest. I won't be disrobing or removing any undergarments. I don't mind being made a fool of, but I would definitely remain completely clothed at all times. On the other hand, I don't want to be a fuddy-duddy-stick-in-the-mud and ruin my team's chances to win due to my modesty. So, would you say it would be better to sit out being on a team in Quest and just be a bystander? Or would my modesty not hurt my teammates chances to win and, therefore, I should "Compete Away". THANKS!

5) One of the specialty restaurants we want to try is the Samba Grill. I've read many details on how it is done and what kind of meats they bring to the table. I have also read that there is an appetizer/side dish buffet set up that you go to, but haven't seen anything on exactly WHAT is on that buffet. Does anyone recall what items were on the app/side buffet at the Samba Grill? THANKS!

6) Has anyone done both the "battle of the sexes Game Show" and the "Love and Marriage Game Show"? Are they very different? Or are they similar in nature? Would you do both, again? Or, if you were limited in time, would you choose one over the other? Which one would you recommend? THANKS!

7) We have been to Vegas a few times and LOVE going to see the Dueling Pianos at the NewYork NewYork. It is hysterical to watch, they pick on the audience quite a bit, and it is very interactive. Is the Piano Bar Entertainment with Kevin Brando in the Schooner Bar anything like this? If anyone has gone there, can you tell me a little about it? THANKS!

8) We were going to book the Chukka Dunn's River Falls and Horseback Ride through RCCL, but have since read a few reviews that I was a bit concerned over. We are thinking of booking directly with Knowjamaica.com/Marva Shaw. If you've used Marva Shaw before, would you recommend using them? She has also has the Falls/Horseback option, so we would book the same type of excursion through her. We are just trying to weigh the pros-n-cons between ship-booked vs private booked excursion. THANKS!

9) Anyone take late night soaks in the infinity hot-tubs? Maybe somewhere between 11-12? My DH and I are late-night soakers and are hoping to do this. Is it crowded, noisy, etc., at this time of night? Or is it relaxing and quiet? THANKS!

I know this is a LOT of questions at once, but I'm hoping if a few people have the answers to a few questions, then maybe I can get all my questions answered in one thread, verses starting multiple threads all at once. Thanks so much for your time and for helping us plan the "Cruise of a Lifetime!" :D:D:D

The piano bar may have a sing-a-long, or "guess that tune", but it's not a "dueling piano" sort of thing.

As far as excursions, ship-booked are no-brainers....you don't have to think about anything, except having fun. They tell the group when and where to meet...and that's it! Private excursions are cheaper and have fewer folks....and they WILL get you back on time, or they'd be out of business! You will simply have to get info from them on when and where to meet...

Battle of the sexes and the Love & Marriage show are two different animals. L & M works the same as the TV show, 3 or 4 couples up on stage, revealing all kids of personal info (whoopie, etc.).

BOS is a group game, men on one side and women on the other side. Contest is to see which group, with shared info, knows more about trivia.

Quest on the big ships is totally different then on the "smaller" ships such as Radiance class or Vision class. Here, it is held in the ice rink and each "team" is a section of the auditorium. Two people in each section volunteer to go down on the wood floor and represent the section.

Thanks so much, everyone!! I'm off to a good start getting my questions answered! I'm so glad to hear that the hot tubs are pretty quiet at night.

And yes, those are the chairs I was referring to. I just saw a YOUTUBE video of the secret balcony on deck 11 and all they showed is the regular plastic loungers...maybe they're phasing them out???

So, if I understand this correctly, Quest on Allure is done by crowd sections? Does that mean that anyone in that section can participate in just portions of the game? Only a few go onto the floor at a time? I'm still so confused, but want to remain somewhat clueless at the same time;):rolleyes:

Also...regarding the Battle of the Sexes Game Show. Does anyone have any idea how long it lasts????? Going off of the most recent Cruise Compass I have for the Allure Western Itinerary (June '11) it lists is for Wed night @ 9:00. However, that's the same night we were thinking of doing the Headliner Show (10:30) and I don't know if I have time to do them both that night.

Thanks so much, everyone!! I'm off to a good start getting my questions answered! I'm so glad to hear that the hot tubs are pretty quiet at night.

And yes, those are the chairs I was referring to. I just saw a YOUTUBE video of the secret balcony on deck 11 and all they showed is the regular plastic loungers...maybe they're phasing them out???

So, if I understand this correctly, Quest on Allure is done by crowd sections? Does that mean that anyone in that section can participate in just portions of the game? Only a few go onto the floor at a time? I'm still so confused, but want to remain somewhat clueless at the same time;):rolleyes:

i've only seen the wooden deck chairs on deck 5 - the not so secret decks surrounding the aqua theatre had the standard blue plastic ones.

You're on the right track with quest on the big ships - they pick a couple of 'representatives' but the rest of the section participates by helping them out with items for the quest. Yes some people will be disrobing but there's tons of opportunity to help the team while staying fully dressed!

Quest is great fun. Like others have said, on the larger ships, teams are huge - they just divide the auditorium up and that's your team. You are free to participate as much or as little as you want. You don't have to take off your clothes to play - there are many non-clothing articles that they ask for.

Archived