What time to arrive at Bayonne for the shortest wait?

Pandot

I have read and searched for this answer but can't seem to find a direct answer.

I am travelling with my toddler (who has some special needs) and is not a good "waiter". I am trying to keep everyone sane because no one needs to be stuck in a waiting room with my son in a bad mood. We live 90 minutes or so from Bayonne.

What time should we arrive for the shortest wait in Bayonne? Initially I was planning on leaving home around 11:30 and arriving 1ish. But then I read that 12-2 is the busiest time in Bayonne.

Should we instead plan to arrive early? (i.e. leave home at 9:30 to arrive for 11?) That only concerns me since the cruise before is a repositioning cruise from SJ and there are often more delays with disembarkation on repositionning cruises.

Though we live close, I worry about arriving later than 2 since we leave at 4 (all aboard is at 3:30). God forbid we get stuck in traffic, we could miss the trip (and my sister's wedding on the first sea day) entirely.

I am going to be posting this on my cruise line board as well.

Thanks for the input.

That's a tough question. It's unpredictable. Boarding can start anywhere from 11:30 - 12:30. I've always arrived 10:30 - 11 - by the time you get through security and check in, there's not a lot of wait time.

If you get all checked in and have your Seapass card and shuttle #, it would be possible to exit and take your toddler for a walk over to the 911 Memorial. This would kill some time and when you came back, you would bypass all the check in lines (not security) and should be able to board the next bus. The weather is likely to be good in May, so this could be an option.

I understand your concerns about arriving late - I wouldn't do it unless the boards indicate that the ship will arrive late. The ship is only coming from San Juan and not Europe, so it shouldn't be a problem. It is highly likely it will arrive between 7 and 8 am.

Remember that the first day of your cruise is a day you've paid for. Personally, we always try to arrive on the early side. For Bayonne, I'd say we were at the pier by 11, checking in, and boarding the bus by 12 noon or shortly thereafter (you get on a bus for the short ride over to your ship - you cannot walk it).

Though we live close, I worry about arriving later than 2 since we leave at 4 (all aboard is at 3:30).

If you leave at 4, then you will need to be checked in 90 minutes prior - 2:30. When you come back from a port, it is usually 30 minutes prior, but on embarkation day they send a passenger manifest to Homeland Security 90 minutes prior.

Does this change things for you?

Archived