SD1 - Feb. 18 to 27

DisneyJen

Thanks so much for your posts. We are really enjoying them. It has been nine years since we sailed on SD but we are getting ready for another cruise on SD1. We leave a week from today for St. Martin and the BVI.

After reading those menus, I think I should fast for the next seven days.

Lorraine and Rudy

Thanks so much for your posts. We are really enjoying them. It has been nine years since we sailed on SD but we are getting ready for another cruise on SD1. We leave a week from today for St. Martin and the BVI.

After reading those menus, I think I should fast for the next seven days.

Lorraine and Rudy

Your welcome Lorraine and Rudy!

Will be interested to hear from you on how much SD has changed since you first sailed it and haven't been back on board in quite some time.

The food is divine!

Earlier in the week ctbjr explained to us that there was a member of the charter group, who wasn’t sailing with us, who asked the Captain every year if he could sail the yacht as it approached Virgin Gorda. It never happened.

It didn’t take much egging on from the group for me to ask Captain S. if I could be at the helm. With a chuckle he told me he never sailed with me and wasn’t sure of my seamanship. He told me that I would have to be on the bridge at 6:30 a.m. as we were scheduled to drop anchor off Spanish Town at 7 a.m.

While I was on the bridge most mornings, little did I know that DJ’s DH was conspiring with Christophe to plan my 50th birthday party for this particular evening.

Now that you have some of the back story … on with the review!

Morning did not dawn until 6:40 a.m. so I missed being on the bridge as we sailed into Virgin Gorda for our first stop. Safely at anchor we let guests who were participating in the Two Tank Certified Dive, The Baths and the Cat Snorkel at the Dogs adventures disembark.

As I made my way to breakfast around 7:30 a.m., I was greeted with “Happy Birthday Miss Jen” as I made my way from our stateroom on Deck 2 to the Office on Deck 6. It was so incredible to receive such heartfelt wishes from everyone from Lucy to Frud to Mickee to Silvio to Marcus.

When I arrived at the breakfast table I was asked where I had been since Captain S. was wondering about my whereabouts.

Marcus delivered our Grand Mimosas and coffee. I ordered my new favorite breakfast – an egg white omelet with Boursin Cheese and vegetables. DJ’s DH ordered his traditional ham, mushroom and cheese omelet which was made to perfection all week.

A little before 9 a.m. I made my way to the bridge to enjoy the hour-long sail as the yacht made its way to the North Sound. As many times as we have made this run on 38-foot sailboats and on the mega yachts known as SeaDream it is one of the most beautiful sails in the world.

As usual, I asked permission to enter the bridge. “Where have you been Number One?” Captain S. jokingly but somewhat seriously asked. “I had to sail into Virgin Gorda myself with as assist from C” he said.

We all shared a good laugh. As he had done all week, Captain S. reviewed the plotted course with me before the anchored was pulled up.

While we were reviewing the charts and the weather, Christophe popped into the bridge and asked the Captain about the weather for the scheduled Starlight Dinner at the Topside Restaurant. Captain S. asked my opinion and I said “But of course.” Captain S. then told Christophe to make it so:p

Under a brilliant Caribbean sun we effortlessly slid through sapphire waters on our way to the well protected North Sound. A flotilla of boats greeted us.

IMG_0691.jpg

Sailboats leaving the protection of the North Sound as viewed from the starboard bridge wing.

Captain S. expertly called out the heading as we navigated into and through the coral strewn waters of the North Sound.

IMG_0692.jpg

Entering the channel to the North Sound as viewed from the Bridge, looking starboard.

By 10 a.m. we had dropped the anchor in this lovely and protected sound. Tender service to the Bitter End Yacht Club was established at 10:30 a.m. and ran continuously until 6 p.m.

Club Director Daniel led a hike to Biras Creek while swimming was offered off of the Marina platform from 10:30 to noon.

A crew emergency drill, which involved lowering and testing all lifeboats and putting most of the crew through a simulated fire in the engine room complete with simulated injuries, started at 10:30 a.m. As a sailing family, it was very interesting to watch the professionalism and seriousness that the whole crew showed during this drill.

One of the many interesting things about being on a charter is the flexibility of the itinerary and the use of the zodiacs. One group headed over to Saba Rock while another was able to sail past Necker Island. DJ’s DH and I spent the day on the yacht as we usually do when we are in Gorda Sound. They views are just incredible and the service is beyond compare.

Once again we had a delightful lunch and then settled into our routine of socializing and reading. Life is always so good when SeaDreaming!

Non-motorized water sports were offered from 2 to 4 p.m. and swimming off the Marina Platform was offered from 4:20 to 5 p.m. For the first time in our six SD voyages neither one of us partook in the watersports and swimming because of DJ’s DH’s back. Thankfully we didn’t do any of the Zodiac tours as I am sure it would have just aggravated his back.

Basking in the glow of a setting sun, Xander brought me my perfect Ketel One martini along with a cheese plate. T and A ordered a shrimp cocktail and their beverages of choice. The three of us toasted our good fortune while we watched Brian set up tables for dinner. While we were occupying the starboard Office Brian asked me which Office I would like him to set for my special birthday dinner. I choose the port side for reasons unknown.

At 5:45 p.m., Daniel announced a surprise tour of the galley with Executive Chef Virender Singh. Several of us gathered at the Concierge Desk. Chef Singh then led us down to Deck 2 and through the Dining Room to the entrance of the kitchen. After entering the kitchen we were handed a glass of champagne and offered caviar. Chef then toasted us and led the tour.

It was simply amazing to this self-proclaimed foodie and wanna-be chef to see the space where the magic happens.

So glad you got your galley tour! In fact, it sounds like the SeaDream crew has practically adopted you! And once again, your husband sounds like an awesome guy! :)

I don't know that they have adopted me as much as they have realized I am a serial SeaDreamer:p Yes, DJ's DH is one of the good guys!

We were late to pre-dinner cocktails so that we, like the laundry, would be fresh and clean! Oh how I love the scent of a Bulgari-filled cabin.

We were shown to the portside Office which once again had a table added so that we could comfortably seat 10. Fermio was playing lovely guitar music as we were seated and Marcus handed us our menus.

I have never seen the Office look as lovely as it did that evening with crisp white linen tablecloths and napkins, fine crystal and china and lovingly scattered luminescent blue rocks and sun bleached sea shells.

The stars sparkled like diamonds against an inky sapphire blue sky as the lights of Virgin Gorda twinkled like stars.

Imagine my sheer delight that Christophe and the Communications Officers had created a special menu cover for me.

DSC02686.jpg

A very special menu!

When I opened the menu I saw that many of my favorite items were being offered for dinner.

DJ’s DH began the evening by ordering a special bottle of champagne and offering a birthday toast.

Dinner Selections for this evening:

Appetizers:

Tuna Carpaccio with Ginger Pickle Salad and Wasabi Mayonnaise

Summer Truffle Antipasto – Truffle Cheese, Prosciutto Ham with Grilled Vegetables, Pickles, Olives and Poached Egg topped with Truffle Tapenade

Tarte Fine with Tomato, Basil and Melted Goat Cheese

Middle Course:

Aubergine and Rosemary

Lobster Bisque infused with Cognac

Chilled Raspberry Soup

Red Beet Salad with Creamy Horseradish

Del Monte Salad – Creamy Balsamic Dressing over Lettuce, Carrots, Mushrooms, Bacon, Pimento and Shrimps

An Assortment of Leaf Salads are always Available with Your Favorite Dressings

Homemade Entremets:

Banana Sorbet

Pineapple Frozen Yoghurt

World Flavor:

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Cherry Tomatoes, Garlic Chips, Fresh Basil Pesto and Parmesan Cheese Shavings

Main Courses:

Dover Sole Meuniere on Artichoke Barigoule with Lemon Butter Jus

Osso Bucco – Braised Veal Shank with Polenta Gnocchi alla Romana and Gremolata

Thai Chili Quail with Chinese Bok Choy and Glass Noodles

Always Available:

Russian Osetra Karat Caviar – 1 oz. jar - $122.80

Sevruga Caviar – 1 oz. jar - $44

Sevruga Caviar Duo – 3 oz. jar - $132

Russian Osetra Karat Caviar Amber – 1 oz. jar - $101.60

Russian Osetra Caviar Gold – 1 oz. jar - $122.80

A la Carte Selection:

Consommé Double with Batonnet au Fromage

Caesar Salad served with Croutons and Grated Parmesan Cheese

Linguini al Pesto or with Chunky Tomato Sauce

Broiled Fillet of Organic Salmon with Caper Butter

Chicken Breast with Herbs, Lemon and Virgin Olive Oil

Grilled NY Cut Strip-Loin Steak, Madagascar Pepper Sauce

Indulge with Your Pastry Chef Ferenc Beres Molnar

Dessert:

Trio of Chocolate

Floating Island on Sauce Anglaise

Lime Pie with Caramelized Almond

Ice Creams:

Vanilla

Cherry

Rum Raisin

Chocolate

Assorted European Cheeses served with Homemade Cheese Bread

Wine Recommendations:

White Wines:

Pouilly Fume, Pascal Jolivet, 2009, $45

Chardonnay, Robert Mondavi, 2004, $67

Chardonnay, Rio Vivo, Casablanca Valley, Laroche, 2004, $32

Red Wines:

Corton-Pougets, Grand Cru, 2001, $102

Cabernet Sauvignon Zinfandel, Paraduxx, 2006, $112

Clos Fourtet, First Grand Cru Classe, 2007, $112

After the champagne toast and having selected our courses, the group presented me with a lovely card and gift … a charm bracelet from Saba Rock that Mrs. TOYBar selected for me on behalf of the group. Just as in Nevis, Mrs. TOYBar made sure that even though I didn’t venture off the yacht I had a memento.

During the Middle Course, Mother Nature decided that she needed to spice up our party with a little liquid moonshine in the form of rain. The weather didn’t damper our spirits, it led to more frivolity. We were quite impressed as Silvio, Gideon and Marcus quickly appeared to shelter us from the rain with towels.

Once the rains passed, Silvio and Gideon wiped down the overhang to make sure no one was on the receiving end of the dripping water.

Before the main course, which for DJ’s DH and me was the incredible Osso Bucco, I noticed that DJ’s DH was squirming more than usual. Mrs. Ctbjr told him to relax but obviously he wasn’t heeding her sage advice. He excused himself from the table and shortly appeared with a red wrapped box with a gold ribbon. As he presented the gift to me the paparazzi, disguised as our sailing partners appeared.

I opened the box and was quite perplexed to find a lovely bowl from Porsgrunds Porselaensfabrik AS, the main producer of porcelain flatware and products for the Norwegian Royal family. The company is owned by Atle Brynestad who also owns SeaDream. There was a lovely birthday card from Christophe included in the box.

DJ’s DH was even more perplexed as I opened the gift and read the card. I caught a look of panic on his face and heard Mrs. Ctbjr whisper to him to relax. (I have that Mom hearing so I don't miss much:eek:).

We made our way through the main course and dessert. As we finished dessert, Christophe led Silvio, Marcus, Gideon and others up the staircase to our table singing “Happy Birthday” with a candlelit cake.

I clapped with child-like delight as I saw that Pastry Chef Molnar had created a one of a kind chocolate and fondant cake for me.

DSC02689-1-1.jpg

As I blew out the lone candle and the cake was whisked away, Christophe placed a plate with a silver dome in front of me.

In unison the group said “Viola” as the dome was lifted and my birthday present from DJ’s DH was revealed … a gorgeous and very special mother of pearl and diamond watch that Mrs. Ctbjr helped DJ’s DH pick out while in St. Maarten.

As a piece of cake was set in front of each of us as well as a glass of champagne, Christophe wished me a Happy Birthday on behalf of the whole SeaDream family. He then gave me an envelope that he said that Captain S. asked to be delivered to me on his behalf.

Upon opening it I found a lovely picture of Virgin Gorda with birthday wishes from the SeaDream family as well as a special certificate, signed by the Captain, acknowledging my seamanship.

What an incredible evening … one that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Our lovely bed was calling to DJ’s DH so we headed back to our stateroom where we found the room festooned with balloons and a special towel animal and a birthday card.

After tucking him in, I joined the rest of the group in the Main Salon to hear crew member Rutzie perform with George on the keyboard Fermio on guitar. After listening to this talented crew member perform songs from Barbara Streisand to Whitney Houston, I headed back to the stateroom.

As I drifted off to sleep I thanked my lucky stars for being able to celebrate another milestone in such a special and unique way on our beloved SeaDream.

Wow... that is just incredible! And definitely not the kind of birthday celebration you would ever get on a Carnival ship! :D SeaDream really went above and beyond for you!

So glad you enjoyed your birthday cruise and shared with us how special your cruising buddies and SeaDream made it for you. You're a very lucky woman to be loved by so many!

Wow... that is just incredible! And definitely not the kind of birthday celebration you would ever get on a Carnival ship! :D SeaDream really went above and beyond for you!

So glad you enjoyed your birthday cruise and shared with us how special your cruising buddies and SeaDream made it for you. You're a very lucky woman to be loved by so many!

SD makes everyone's special occasions memorable! We renewed our wedding vows on our 25th anniversary on SD2 in '09 and just celebrated my 50th (did I just really write that!) on SD1. Both times the SD family and our friends created memories for a lifetime.

I am blessed and lucky to have such wonderful people in my life!

I still have two days to post but real life is getting in the way. Not to worry though ... I will finish this review up very soon!

What a wonderful birthday! I wish we had been with you. BTW, love the reporting as usual!

DJ's DH and I thought of you both often and remarked that you would have enjoyed sailing with this group! We missed you as well. Can't wait to catch up on your sailing on SB while we were on SD:p

Glad you are enjoying the reporting!

Great job DJ. Any pictures of the good girl birthday present?:D It sounds beautiful. Now that you are officially "over the hill", be prepared, the next big one comes before you can believe it.:eek: Looking forward to the wrap up.

J.

What a great birthday celebration, DJ!! I know Christophe was looking forward to having you on board and sounds like you got extra special treatment!! Belated birthday wishes to you!

We'll be celebrating our 25th on board in October -- can't think of a better place to be than on Sea Dream!!

Vandrefalk

Congratulations! What a special birthday that must have been. And the story was well told too with lots of suspense etc! Yes, Sea Dream does such a fantastic job with special events. I had a birthday on board in Jan 2011 and they made it a very special event! Thanks for sharing with all of us. Would love to see pictures.

Great job DJ. Any pictures of the good girl birthday present?:D It sounds beautiful. Now that you are officially "over the hill", be prepared, the next big one comes before you can believe it.:eek: Looking forward to the wrap up.

J.

Haven't taken a photo of the watch yet ... but you can bet DJ's DH has already added it and the new ring to the insurance rider for my jewelry:p

What a great birthday celebration, DJ!! I know Christophe was looking forward to having you on board and sounds like you got extra special treatment!! Belated birthday wishes to you!

We'll be celebrating our 25th on board in October -- can't think of a better place to be than on Sea Dream!!

Vandrefalk

Christophe and his staff take such excellent care of us! He did seem to relish in making my birthday special.

I know your 25th in October will be FANTASTIC as well! Are you sailing 1 or 2?

Congratulations! What a special birthday that must have been. And the story was well told too with lots of suspense etc! Yes, Sea Dream does such a fantastic job with special events. I had a birthday on board in Jan 2011 and they made it a very special event! Thanks for sharing with all of us. Would love to see pictures.

Thanks whatnot! It was a fantastic and special!

DJ, looks like you had a wonderful b-day celebration aboard SD! Congrats, and thanks for all your detailed reporting and photos.

We did have an incredible celebration on board!

I just uploaded the last of the photos so I can write up the splash and (insert crying smilie) disembarkation.:eek:

SD really does read those Guest Voyage Reviews!

I was very excited today when I went through our mail and saw an envelope from SD ... mind you not bulk mail stamped but real first class postage.

I tore it open and found a lovely letter from Adrienne d'Annunzio, Manager of Corporate Communications and Guest Relations, dated March 9. In the letter she thanked us for sailing with SD and also commented on the scores we gave and comments we made regarding this sailing. She even quoted from our comments which I found impressive.

She also shared that the comments and scores are forwarded to the President (Bob Lepisto) and the on board Management Team on a weekly basis.

We mailed our Guest Voyage Reviews directly to the Miami office since we didn't have time to complete them while we were on board. We mailed them in less than a week ago.

When we once strayed from SD and sailed SB we raised some issues on the comment card and NEVER heard from SB. Actually I think that comment card never made it off the ship:rolleyes:

We made the 26-nautical mile run from Virgin Gorda to White Bay Jost by 8 a.m. Once again the sailing was so smooth we could hardly tell we were under way.

Those heading to the Dolphin Encounter gathered at the gangway at 8:15 a.m. Folks who wanted to join Daniel for a hike to Great Harbor and Foxy’s left the yacht at 10 a.m. The hike, over steep hills, is about 30 minutes each way.

The day of the Champagne and Caviar Splash is always bittersweet for me as it signals to me the end of the voyage. Over the years, DJ’s DH has tried several strategies to distract me from thinking about disembarking our beloved SeaDream. Having me sign the papers earlier in the week for our opening booking was a new strategy.

Since zodiac service wasn’t scheduled to start until around 11 a.m., I decided this voyage I would take a cue from Mrs. Ctbjr and start packing before the Splash.

We ordered a bagel with cream cheese, lox and capers, coffee and orange juice from room service so we could leisurely pack before heading off the yacht. Throughout the voyage we were very impressed with how quickly room service responded (we never had to wait more than 15 minutes from the time of ordering to time of delivery).

Poor DJ’s DH retrieved our suitcases from their secret hiding place under the bed and placed them on the unmade bed. Without even asking DJ’s DH handed me a stateroom made Grand Mimosa to ease the packing process.

After 28 years of marriage and traveling together, DJ’s DH knows to stay out of my way when I am in packing/sulking mode.

We left the cabin a little after 11 and headed to the Marina to be transferred to the beach. Christophe joined us on the Zodiac with two stacks of china for the Beach Barbeque.

As we made our way to the beach we saw huge rain clouds behind us. A little liquid sunshine could never dampen our spirits during the Splash.

The short, and sometimes wet, Zodiac ride had us on the beach in no time. Beach massages were offered from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and paddle boards, kayaks and snorkel equipment were available on the beach as well.

After a few drop of rain the sun appeared.

IMG_0695-1.jpg

SD 1 at anchor

We found a spot under the sea grape trees for DJ’s DH to lounge and to take in the sights.

IMG_0696.jpg

A slice of heaven

A little after noon, Captain S. made his way to the beach while Christophe and his crew carried the caviar and accoutrement laden surfboard into the surf along with many bottles and glasses of champagne.

IMG_0693.jpg

Ah ...

IMG_0694.jpg

One of the many joys of SeaDreaming!

After indulging in the surf we then headed back to the beach to enjoy a fabulous barbeque lunch SeaDream style. Everything imaginable was freshly prepared over a charcoal fired grill. Incredible salads, cold dishes and beautifully handcrafted breads were also available. A full bar and the always flowing champagne, along with bottled water, were also offered.

We took a stroll in the surf to do some last minute shopping at the Soggy Dollar.

Then it was back into the water for some socializing and fun. I think that the crew, although they are hard at work, enjoyed splashing in the water as much as the guests did.

Marcus waded out into the turquoise waters to make sure our champagne glasses were never empty.

IMG_0700-1.jpg

Marcus and our gang

The quick witted and quick thinking Silvio filled all of his pockets with Red Stripes and delivered them to those who weren’t drinking champagne.

IMG_0701.jpg

Silvio and our gang

Archived