SD1 - Feb. 18 to 27

DisneyJen

Ah DJ, you're the best! Your pictures are so lovely. . .your storytelling is filled with even better "pictures," if that's possible.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the menus, your experiences and all the pictures. I know how much time it takes, but I also know how it "extends" your SeaDreaming Bliss. ;)

And what a great guy DJ's DH is to acknowledge you like he just did in that last post. He gets a big smile and sigh from me for that. Way cool! Nothing like a good man, and me thinks you've got one.

Ah DJ, you're the best! Your pictures are so lovely. . .your storytelling is filled with even better "pictures," if that's possible.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the menus, your experiences and all the pictures. I know how much time it takes, but I also know how it "extends" your SeaDreaming Bliss. ;)

And what a great guy DJ's DH is to acknowledge you like he just did in that last post. He gets a big smile and sigh from me for that. Way cool! Nothing like a good man, and me thinks you've got one.

He is indeed one of the good guys Teresa:D

I love when DJ's DH will say to me, "I forgot about that ..."

After a 139-nautical miles sail to Charlestown, Nevis, we dropped anchor at 7 a.m. under a somewhat overcast sky. Tender service was established a little after 7 a.m. and was scheduled to run continuously until 12:30 p.m.

When I found my way to the Office for breakfast I heard ctbjr in deep conversation with several golfers who were scheduled to leave the yacht at 8 a.m. for a round at the recently reopened Four Season.

We could see the incredible course, which is carved into the side of the mountain, from the Office. We also could see a rain cloud that seemed to hover atop the mountain.

IMG_0675.jpg

Nevis and the cloud.

Club Director Daniel left with bikers at 9 a.m. for a circumnavigation of Nevis by bike … at least I think he did as this SeaDream Active Adventure was way too strenuous for this SeaDreaming gal!

The Source Trail and Rainforest Hike departed the gangway at 9:30 a.m.

After breakfast, DJ’s DH headed to the spa again for the Asian Blend Massage in hopes of getting some relief from his aching back. Several from our group headed into Charlestown to find Sunshine’s Beach Bar and partake in its signature drink … The Killer Bee. It did receive rave reviews! So much so that bartender Gideon even said he would have a go at making them for the group as shooters the next day.

Since the sun had come out in all of its splendid Caribbean glory, I hopped up on my Bali Bed and enjoyed watching the world go by and the cloud playing tag with the mountain.

DSC02672.jpg

The Mountain and Clouds playing tag.

IMG_0676.jpg

Sailboats in the waters off Nevis.

Motorized water sports were available from 10 a.m. until noon but DJ’s DH had to trade in the Jet Ski for a massage table since his back was still troubling him.

After his massage, DJ’s DH settled into the quiet Office and plowed his way through a good portion of a stack of magazines he had brought with him. One of the things that we did for the first time on this trip was give our magazines to the crew so they would have something different to read.

While finishing one food magazine, Marcus walked by and asked if he could get DJ’s DH what had become our traditional pre-lunch appetizer … French Fries. DJ’s DH said he would pass on the fries and pointed to the back cover ad for onion rings and asked Marcus if it might be possible to have some onion rings.

With a smile and a nod, Marcus said “but of course.”

Before we knew it, we were munching on the some of the most delicious onion rings we have ever had in our lives. I suspect that the chef used the batter for the fish. Regardless, our taste buds were indeed dancing with delight.

Before too long the rest of the group joined us. We ordered another round of the tasty morsels and Mr. TOYBar proclaimed DJ’s DH “da man” for changing up our pre-lunch appetizer.

Luncheon at the Topside Restaurant

From the Cold Buffet:

Smoked Trout

Baby Shrimp in Tomato

Cheese Filled Ham Rolls

Sesame Chicken Breast

Healthy Tossed Salad Prepared a la Minute:

Salami, Green Beans and Red Onion Salad with Herb Vinaigrette

Chicken and Pineapple Salad

Red Cabbage and Orange Salad

Create Your Own Salad with a Wide Variety of Condiments and a Selection of Dressings

Soup of the Day:

Cream of White Asparagus

From the Grill:

Hamburger or Cheeseburger

Hot Dog Served with Relish

Side Dishes:

Scallion Rice, Homemade Chips, French Fried Potatoes

Summer Bistro:

Tuna Melt Sandwich

Fettuccini with Creamy Dolce latté Cheese Sauce

Local Favorite:

Mexican Fajitas with Condiments

SeaDream Wellness Selection:

Tropical Fruit Platter with Low Fat Raspberry Yoghurt

Vegetarian Dish of Today:

Gratinated Cheese Spaetzle served on Boston Lettuce

Oriental Choice:

Beef Sate with Peanut Butter Sauce and Scallion Rice

Prepared a la Minute:

Swiss Cheese and Bacon Topped Beef Burger with Truffled Mushrooms, Fries and BBQ Sauce

Fish and Chips with Sauce Tartar

Wines:

Cloudy Bay, Marlborough, 2008 - $56

Croze-Hermitage, Rhone Valley, 2006 - $37

According to the Daily Program we were to sail the 52 miles to St. Bart’s at 1 p.m. While we were lunching we noticed that we weren’t sailing. An hour after our scheduled departure we still hadn’t pulled up the anchor so I was nominated to go to the bridge to investigate the delay.

Always gracious, the Captain explained that we were waiting for some golfers to return to the yacht. He apologized for the delay in my shopping on St. Bart’s. I told him not to worry as we had no plans to leave our beloved yacht as we much prefer staying on SD while in St. Bart’s. For those of you who wonder if we have actually ever spent time on St. Bart’s the answer is yes … when we sailed on the Seabourn Pride.

DSC02673.jpg

Checking to make sure the proper flags were flying on my way to the bridge:p!

I headed back to the Office to find that most of the group had grown tired of waiting for my report. Amazing how fast 45 minutes on the bridge can go … especially for a former newspaper writer, editor and public relations practitioner!

Sometime around 2:30, DJ’s DH and I headed to our stateroom for a nap to rest up for the evening’s planned poolside Caribbean Madness Cocktails. We both feel asleep while under way which meant that we missed the rain shower and the 4 p.m. Ice Cream Social.

Around 7 p.m., well rested and appropriately attired, we headed to the Pool deck to find that we were anchored off St. Bart’s. The rain has stopped enough for all to enjoy some Caribbean concoctions but the threat of rain resulted in moving the Caribbean Dinner from the Topside Restaurant to the Dining Room.

Tender service started almost immediately after we anchored and ran continuously until 1 a.m. It was quite interesting to watch some very elegantly dressed folks, especially the women in their towering high heels, board the bobbing tender.

Having completed or concoctions of choice, our group of 10 gathered again for an excellent dinner.

Starters:

Crabmeat Salad with Crispy Vegetables, Mango, Lettuce and Pineapple Vinaigrette served with Tequila-Avocado Mousse

Cajun Chicken Croquets on Mesclun Salad with Guacamole, Salsa and Ocho Rios Dip

Grilled Garlic Prawns on Bitter Lettuce with Creole Sauce

Soups:

Antillean Sopito – A light Coconut, Crab and Shrimp Soup

Cuban Black Bean Soup with Scallion and Sour Cream

Salads:

Calypso Salad – The Freshness of Cantaloupe and Papaya combined with Seafood and Asparagus on Pineapple Carpaccio

Virgin Island Salad – Tossed Mixed Greens Topped with Sweet Corn, Palm Hearts, Peppers and Maracuja-Cilantro Dressing

Homemade Entremets:

Lemon Sorbet

Blackberry Frozen Yogurt

Main Courses:

Grilled filet of Mahi-Mahi – Marinated with Lime, Rum and Spices served with Mashed Sweet Potato, Pan-fried Vegetables and Herb-Chili Coconut Sauce

Cajun Spiced Roast Rack of Lamb with Gratin Potato, Zucchini-Eggplant Ragout and Rosemary Gravy

Jerked Chicken with Grilled Tomato, Bermuda Onion and Jamaican Bean Rice

Spiced Vegetable and Okra Stew with Corn Rice

Dream Raw Cuisine – SeaDream introduces an epic form of vegetarianism called the “raw foods” or “living foods movement” which has become a way of life for many around the world.

Mango Almond and Cardamom Lassi

Asian Style Cashew Curry Salad – Crispy Lettuce, Apple, Leek, Celery, Cauliflower with a dressing of Cashew, Red Bell Pepper, Leek, Turmeric, Tamari and Lemon Juice

Biryani with Marinated Vegetables and Coconut Curry Sauce

Passion Fruit Mousse with Coconut Sauce

Always Available:

Russian Osetra Karat Caviar – 1 oz. jar - $122.80

Sevruga Caviar – 1 oz. jar - $44

Sevruga Caviar Duo – 3 oz. jar - $132

Russian Osetra Karat Caviar Amber – 1 oz. jar - $101.60

Russian Osetra Caviar Gold – 1 oz. jar - $122.80

A la Carte Selection:

Consommé Double with Batonnet au Fromage

Caesar Salad served with Croutons and Grated Parmesan Cheese

Linguini al Pesto or with Chunky Tomato Sauce

Broiled Fillet of Organic Salmon with Caper Butter

Chicken Breast with Herbs, Lemon and Virgin Olive Oil

Grilled NY Cut Strip-Loin Steak, Madagascar Pepper Sauce

Dessert:

Please Indulge with Pastry Chef Frenec Beres Molnar at the Pool Deck for a Special Dessert Extravaganza

Wine Recommendations:

White Wines:

Chardonnay Catena, 200, $42

Chardonnay Grgich Hills, 2007, $67

Pinot Grigio, Santa Margherita, 2009, $39

Red Wines:

Tignanello, 2008, $114

Summus, Castello Banfi, 2005, $94

Spress, Gaja, 2005, $204

As usual, Olivier, Mark and Xander made sure we wanted for nothing ...

During dinner, Club Director Daniel and Activities Manager Cat set up the poolside screen for an impromptu viewing of Jimmy Buffet’s “Live in Anguilla” DVD for viewing during the Sea Dream Dessert Extravaganza.

Being somewhat of a Parrothead (I don’t come even close to AirSea’s Buffet devotion!), I couldn’t believe we were sitting off St. Bart’s, not far from where the DVD was recorded, under the stars with our feet in the pool and candles flickering all around being served Bananas Foster with homemade white chocolate macadamia nuts. There many more delicious desserts and incredible cheeses options as well.

With a knowing looking I smiled at DJ’s DH and we didn’t have to say a word to each other … once again we were living a dream … the SeaDream.

My enthusiasm must have been obvious as Daniel came over and pointed out the three times that you can catch a glimpse of SD during the concert. Poor Cat couldn’t escape my enthusiasm as I asked him for a dance during a “Son of a Son of a Sailor.” He indulged this wanna-be pirate, who is looking at fifty, with a smile and a lovely spin around the deck.

After the concert the pool deck was quickly turned into an 80’s Disco. Not surprisingly, it was mostly women who were dancing under the stars.

With DJ’s DH in tow I danced my way to our stateroom where we found some lovely chocolate truffles as our turn-down gifts. Another perfect evening of SeaDreaming!

Snuggled safely in one particular harbor, sleep came quickly.

Oh my! Your vivid descriptions are bringing back such fond memories of Sea Dream. I ALMOST feel like I am back there again. Loved the part about the dressed up ladies in high heels getting on the tender. Can't imagine doing that. But I also can't imagine why you would leave all that FABULOUS Sea Dream food for very expensive St Barts food. I know there are great restaurants there (I've been there 4 times) but I like to do them for lunch. Keep up the great review!

Oh my! Your vivid descriptions are bringing back such fond memories of Sea Dream. I ALMOST feel like I am back there again. Loved the part about the dressed up ladies in high heels getting on the tender. Can't imagine doing that. But I also can't imagine why you would leave all that FABULOUS Sea Dream food for very expensive St Barts food. I know there are great restaurants there (I've been there 4 times) but I like to do them for lunch. Keep up the great review!

Thanks whatnot! It was pretty entertaining to see folks trying to get on the tender. Can only imagine what it was like when they came back from dinner and vino on the island!

Right there with you on St. Bart's.

Sounds absolutely lovely.

Thanks for sharing it in such a way that I can feel that I am there....

You're welcome! I'm glad to share the trip!

Since we have been to St. Bart’s many times, DJ’s DH and I decided that this would be a yacht day for us. Although the Wi-Fi seemed to be working quite well, DJ’s DH still needed a hard wired connection to download the files he needed for work.

While internet connectivity was an issue on the crossing, it wasn’t an issue at all this trip (other than the cost which still leaves me scratching my head in terms of why serial cruisers aren’t offered either free or discounted internet access).

We decided to order room service for breakfast – two toasted bagels with cream cheese, lox and capers, two large orange juices and a large pot of coffee with cream. It arrived in less than 10 minutes and was just perfect.

Using the lovely crystal champagne flutes from our room, a perfectly chilled split of French champagne from our in-room fridge and my Grand Marnier up that I never touched after dinner, we made our own Grand Mimosas although I am sure we could have ordered them from room service as well.

While DJ’s DH perused his emails I sorted through our laundry to figure out which items need to be sent out for cleaning.

After Khun Jo led the yoga class, tender service was established at 9 a.m. and was scheduled to run until 9:30 p.m. The Independent Explorer departed the gangway from 9 to 10 a.m. while the SeaDream Active Walk, led by Daniel, to Fort Karl and Shell Beach left at 9:15 a.m.

Finished with breakfast, DJ’s DH headed up to the Office while I relaxed on my Bali Bed. The ctbjers and TOYBarers were off on the island in search of lobster pizza while T and A looked for some unique artwork and C and H enjoyed window shopping and yacht viewing.

IMG_0677-1.jpg

Boats to the right of Gustavia

IMG_0678.jpg

Yachts off St. Bart's

Our beloved SD really did feel like “our” yacht …

Marcus joking chastised us for missing breakfast. Turning quite serious he said he was worried about us. We assured him that all was well.

DJ’s DH back was a serious issue this trip so it meant that he was unable to neither swim off the marina platform from 10 a.m. to noon nor use the motorized water sports from 2 to 4 p.m. I knew he was in serious pain to yet again pass a spin on the Jet Skis but greatly appreciated his taking care of himself.

Before the scheduled start of lunch at 12:30 p.m., Marcus asked us how many we would be for lunch and if we had any special requests. Since there were only 13 passengers on board for lunch he assured us that Chef would certainly entertain any special requests.

Four of us, T and A, DJ’s DH and I, met in the Office and quickly decided that we need to munch on some of those incredible onion rings while we decided on our lunch. We also needed a diet tonic with Bombay Sapphire, a diet tonic with Ketel One, a Mic Ultra and a SeaBreeze as well as our sparkling and still water. Gideon delivered those items in a flash … without A even having to ask for her side of ice!

For the past few days I had been craving one of my favorite SD special breakfast items … an egg white omelet with Boursin Cheese, peppers, herbs, onions and zucchini. When I inquired about it, Marcus assured me it would show up on the breakfast menu but he would check with Chef to see if I could have it for lunch this day.

All of us, especially A, enjoyed the mustard and egg salad that was on the menu a few days earlier. Once again Marcus said he thought he could arrange that for the table. Her husband, T, is evidently a tuna fish lover like I am. He asked if perhaps the Chef could make some tuna for him. Marcus excused himself to check with Chef. He returned moments later to tell us our special orders had been placed.

Not a fussy one by any stretch of the imagination (he leaves the high maintenance to me:p), DJ’s DH was quite happy with the items offered on the lunch menu:

From the Cold Buffet:

Assorted Seafood Platter

Thinly Sliced Smoked Turkey Breast

Smoked Salmon and Mackerel Platter

Healthy Tossed Salad Prepared a la Minute:

Asian Style Chicken and Noodle Salad

Carrot and Raisin Salad

Salami and Pickle Salad

Create Your Own Salad with a Wide Variety of Condiments and a Selection of Dressings

Soup of the Day:

Celeriac

From the Grill:

Hamburger or Cheeseburger

Hot Dog Served with Relish

Side Dishes:

Basmati Rice, Roasted Potatoes, French Fried Potatoes

Summer Bistro:

Meat filled Tortellini with Cherry Tomatoes, Garlic Olive Oil and Fresh Basil

Monte Cristo Sandwich

Chef’s Favorite:

BBQ Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dip

SeaDream Wellness Selection:

Poached Salmon Fillet with Cucumber Ragout

Vegetarian Dish of Today:

Potato Pancake with Apple Sauce

Oriental Choice:

Sweet and Sour Chicken with Basmati Rice

Prepared a la Minute:

Grilled Bratwurst Sausage with Sautéed Onion and Mustard Sauce

Grilled Sword Fish Steak with Mediterranean Topping

Wines:

Suggested wines:

Cloudy Bay, Marlborough, 2008 - $56

Croze-Hermitage, Rhone Valley, 2006 - $37

Our onion rings arrived in short order and we made quick work of them. We had ordered some chicken wings for the table as well. They were meaty and delicious with a very nice barbeque sauce. Our main entrees arrived and all was perfect with the exception of the tuna sandwich which had way to much cheese on it. Once T picked the cheese off he was happy with his choice.

Swimming was offered again off the Marina Platform. I took a few dips in the pool to cool off before retiring to my Bali Bed.

On one of my trip from Deck 3 to Deck 6 I watched as the incredible SD team lowered an open air tender to Deck 5 to transfer the wheel-chair bound passenger into a tender so he and his traveling companions could spend some time in St. Bart’s. Really quite an impressive operation that served as reassurance that SD is ready for any situation be it for pleasure or an emergency.

We spent the rest of the afternoon doing what we do best … SeaDreaming …

IMG_0680.jpg

The sun, the sea and the rock.

IMG_0679.jpg

View from my Bali Bed

DJ’s DH and I decided to skip the SeaDream Fashion Show, hosted by Cat, during pre-dinner cocktails. Instead we decided to enjoy watching the sunset.

DSC02678.jpg

Getting ready for sunset

IMG_0687.jpg

The start of sunset on the flat water off St. Bart's

IMG_0682.jpg

This is SeaDreaming ...

After bathing in the glorious sunset we headed back to the stateroom to shower and change for dinner with the usual suspects.

IMG_0684.jpg

Sunset sail

DSC02681.jpg

The sea, the rock and sunset

DSC02682.jpg

No words needed ...

Dinner

Appetizers:

Filet American – Steak Tartar with Shallot, Gherkin and Green Beans served with Parmesan Croquette and Herb Mayonnaise

Salade de Cherve Chad – Warm Goat Cheese on Toast with Marinated Fennel and Beets Served with Honey and Whole Grain Mustard

Middle Course:

Lime and Coriander with Chicken Flakes

Minestrone Milanese

Boston and Arugula Lettuce with French Mustard Dressing, Cherry Tomatoes and Parmesan Shavings

Greek Salad with Feta Cheese

An Assortment of Leaf Salads are always Available with Your Favorite Dressings

Homemade Entremets:

Strawberry Sorbet

Papaya Frozen Yoghurt

Pasta:

Pappardelle Pasta with Creamy Basil-Truffle Sauce and Black Truffle Peelings

Main Dishes

Classic Lobster Thermidor with Tarragon Mashed Potatoes and Summer Vegetables

Grilled Fillet of Salmon with Pignolia Spinach and Orange Balsamic Nage

Whole Roast Rib Eye of Beef with Jackson Potato, Glazed Grapes and Marchand de Vin Sauce

South Indian Vegetable Curry

Always Available:

A la Carte Selection:

Indulge with Your Pastry Chef Ferenc Beres Molnar

Dessert:

Cheesecake with Strawberry Sorbet

Rhubarb Tart with Mint Ice Cream

Pineapple Carpaccio with Banana Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce

Ice Creams:

Mint

Chocolate

Vanilla

Banana

Assorted European Cheeses served with Homemade Cheese Bread

Wine Recommendations:

White Wines:

Pouilly Fume, Pascal Jolivet, 2009, $45

Chardonnay, Robert Mondavi, 2004, $67

Chardonnay, Rio Vivo, Casablanca Valley, Laroche, 2004, $32

Red Wines:

Chateau Calon-Segur, Grand Cru Classe, 2004 - $113

Cabernet Sauvignon, Cakebread Cellar, 2005, $112

Clos Fourtet, First Grand Cru Classe, 2007, $112

“SeaDream Unplugged,” starring George on the keyboard and Femio on the guitar, started at 10 p.m. at the TOYBar where Gideon and Thomas served drinks.

It was another early evening for us, which really was the theme of this trip. As always, Lucy had our stateroom in tip top shape and perfectly turned down. This evening’s gift was two sample of Tea Forte.

Having checked in with the Captain I knew that we would be overnighting in Gustavia and making our way to St. Martin in the early morning. As soon as our heads hit our Frette covered pillows we drifted off to sleep.

Here are a few more photos from St. Bart's ...

DSC02677.jpg

Flying the French flag while anchored off Gustavia.

Every morning on my way to the bridge I would try to remember to snap a photo of the colors flying.

DSC02675.jpg

The lovely town of Gustavia with a yacht that looks like it belongs in the SD family. You can see one of the SD tenders making its way back to SD1 to the left.

DSC02674.jpg

The rock off St. Bart's. For some reason I take this same photo on every visit to the island. Why? I haven't a clue!

As I get ready to post the remaining three days on board SD1 I want to apologize in advance for not including the lunch menus. For some reason I didn't receive them and I forgot to ask for them:eek:

Please be gentle with me:p

As I get ready to post the remaining three days on board SD1 I want to apologize in advance for not including the lunch menus. For some reason I didn't receive them and I forgot to ask for them:eek:

Please be gentle with me:p

What, no lunch menus...you're fired! ;) Really, I want to thank you for your great day-to-day reviews. A little over 2 weeks until we're onboard, hope we have as great a time as you did!

What, no lunch menus...you're fired! ;) Really, I want to thank you for your great day-to-day reviews. A little over 2 weeks until we're onboard, hope we have as great a time as you did!

Where is that hang-your-head-in-shame-smilie when you need it:confused:

Glad you are enjoying the review! I am sure you will have a wonderful time ... how can you not while SeaDreaming?

DJ, I think SD owes you a free trip for all this great PR work you are doing. Love the pictures. I agree, SD should include the wifi. How much extra could it cost?? Lowly Cunard gave us a total of 12 hours free internet in 11 days!:eek: This is one easy way for SD to do something for regular cruisers. Looking forward to the rest of the trip.

J.

DJ, I think SD owes you a free trip for all this great PR work you are doing. Love the pictures. I agree, SD should include the wifi. How much extra could it cost?? Lowly Cunard gave us a total of 12 hours free internet in 11 days!:eek: This is one easy way for SD to do something for regular cruisers. Looking forward to the rest of the trip.

J.

Just reporting the facts Jim ... fair and balanced:p As you know, SD does NOT compensate me in any way, shape or form. I do this because I simply LOVE the product and experience:D

Daniel tried to explain to me why SD can't offer free wi-fi but I was so confused after the conversation.:eek:

Back to writing ...

Dang, this is cruel and unusual punishment :o I'm hoping our Greek islands cruise on Seabourn in late April will heal the wounds a bit... Every time I see DJ's pics my mind wanders back to past Caribbean cruises, and by the time the reverie ends, an hour (or more) of work time has slipped by :rolleyes:

Confused is what happens when you try to listen to some technical stuff after a few martinis have been consumed.:eek::D

Especially when you are blonde:p

Dang, this is cruel and unusual punishment :o I'm hoping our Greek islands cruise on Seabourn in late April will heal the wounds a bit... Every time I see DJ's pics my mind wanders back to past Caribbean cruises, and by the time the reverie ends, an hour (or more) of work time has slipped by :rolleyes:

You'll have to report Ragnar!

You are definitely exhibiting signs of SD withdraw:eek:

Sometime before dawn we made our way the 40 nautical miles to the pier in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten. It was such a short and direct route I was sure that I wasn’t need on the bridge!

I let DJ’s DH sleep in a bit while I made my rounds, including a stop to take a photo of the colors flying while we were pier side as well as check in on the bridge.

DSC02685.jpg

The flags fluttered in the breeze.

As always, Yoga Class was at 8 a.m. Bikes were available at 9 a.m. for those who wanted to explore the island independently. The Waikki Beach Transfer departed the gangway at 9 a.m. as well.

During breakfast everyone shared their plans for the day. Mrs. Ctbjr was going jewelry shopping.

Ctbjr and Mr. and Mrs. TOYBar were heading over to the Sunset Grill to watch the arrival of the KLM flight. DJ’s DH expressed an interesting in joining Mrs. Ctbjr and the others for a walk into town. Since we were the only cruise ship in town, we all knew town wouldn’t be crowded.

As for me, well I did what I do best … camped out on my Bali Bed and soaked up the sun.

IMG_0690.jpg

From the rail near my Bali Bed.

While we were tied up alongside the pier I noticed the motion for the first time this trip. Poor Captain S. couldn’t dodge me when I found him on the bridge and had several questions about the length of rope and how we were tied to the pier. Like the master seaman that he is, Captain thoughtfully and thoroughly explained to me the reason for the slack in the ropes due to the swells in the area.

Lunchtime came and went with no sign of Mrs. Ctbjr and DJ’s DH. I suspected DJ’s DH was being aided in purchasing my birthday present from the premier jewelry shopper … Mrs. Ctbjr.

Ctbjr and the Mr. and Mrs. TOYBar returned with video evidence of their fun filled morning and early afternoon.

th_KLMSXMon022412.jpg

CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO SEE THE VIDEO ... Courtesy of ctbjr.

Around 3:30, I headed back to the stateroom for a nap as the evening’s festivities included the Chef’s Menu Confluence and the always entertaining Liar’s Club. Shortly after I returned to the stateroom, DJ’s DH returned with gifts for the dog sitter and daughter sitter … I knew of course if he had purchased anything for me it would be with Mrs. Ctbjr.

Earlier in the day I had consulted with Ctbjr and Christophe to let them know that DJ’s DH and I would dine alone this evening. As always, Christophe and Silvio made sure we had a lovely table and were well cared for by Olivier, Mark and Xander.

Chef’s Menu Confluence

“During the last 10 years with SeaDream Yachts since the inception of the company, many of our esteemed Guests have asked me, what kind of cuisine do we serve on board? I am sure you have tried many different cuisines around the world but on the two Mega Yachts we have created our own cuisine, which we call ‘Confluence Cuisine.’

“You must have noticed the number of nationalities working in cohesion on board and there are Chefs from 11 different countries who make the cuisine of SeaDream. At SeaDream all different cuisines of the world are combined together without destroying their integrity and therefore you have toasted dishes from three different parts of the world on the same plate and this is Confluence Cuisine.

“While deciding the dishes for any menu we keep in mind the 112 different taste palates. Our Chefs do not cook just for the sake of making food but we strive to give each palate a 100 percent satisfaction.

“We hope that we have managed in giving you the “truly excellent” food experience.”

Signed

“Sudesh – Corporate Chef, SDYC

L’Ouef Poule au Caviar Surprise

Steamed Lobster on Marinated King Crab Tartar with Orange Dressing and Herb Phyllo Crisp

Cream of Pumpkin Soup with Tarragon and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Pear Williams Sorbet

Pan Fried Sea Bass Fillet with Grilled Zucchini, Wild Mushroom Risotto and Truffle-Olive Oil Jus

Or

Chateaubriand of Beef with Gaufrette Napoleon Potato, Green Asparagus and Sauce Pays d’Auge

Warm Morbier Cheese on Brioche Bread with Caramelized Nuts and Flavored Honey

Earl Grey Soufflé with Crème Fraiche Ice Cream

Homemade Petits-Fours and Chocolate Truffles

Alternative Vegetarian Menu Confluence

Marinated Grilled Vegetable Terrine with Garlic-Carrot Emulsion

Watermelon, Avocado, Heirloom Tomato and Herb Salad with Pine Parmesan and Jalapeno-Mint Chutney

Avocado Soup with Mango Salsa

Ginger-Lemonade Spritzer

Fresh Artichoke Bottom with Mushrooms on Mixed Lettuce

Warmed Morbier Cheese with Honey Flavored Fruits and Nuts

Avocado Key Lime Pie with Raspberry Sauce

Always Available:

A la Carte Selection:

Manish’s Wine Recommendations

“Champagne Brut, Royal – Exquisite with a fine filigreed frothy mousse that is ethereally light on the palate. At the same time the flavors are rich, creamy and concentrated - $114

“Meursault 1er Cru “Perrieres” Olivier Leflavie 2008 – The greatest and finest Meursault 1er Crus. The explanation of the terroir is found in its name, Perrieres (pierres=stones). The stones are quite abundant and rough, spread about the terrain with relatively shallow topsoil. Sunshine is optimal due to its southeastern exposure and 20-percent grade - $134

“Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou 2eme Cru St. Julien 2007 – Pretty dark, opulent crimson. Scented. Rather compact. Inky and savory and there’s a recognizable relationship with the grand vin in other vintages. - $174

“Insignia, Napa Valley, 2004 – The 2004 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the richest in years. The gorgeous varietal fruit flavors on the palate are just exquisite and impeccably balanced with the complex tannins. It is a fabulous wine illuminating the purity and radiance of the Cabernet grapes and showcasing the talents of the winemaker – a joy to drink now and into the future - $174”

A soft Caribbean breeze welcomed us as Olivier showed us to our table in the alcove on Deck 4 Aft. DJ’s DH and I took a deep breath and sighed as we soaked in the delight of another perfect night. We talked about how wonderful it was to know that we still had three days left on board our beloved SeaDream since this was a nine night trip.

After Mark had poured DJ’s DH’s still water and my sparkling water, DJ’s DH reached into his pocket and said “I have a little something for you.” He placed a ring box wrapped in gold paper in front of me … just then Olivier walked to the table to present the menus to us and then quickly apologized for intruding. We told Olivier that he is like family and that he certainly wasn’t intruding.

He handed us our menus and discreetly walked away.

Those of you who know me in real life and those of you have followed along on our SeaDream travels know that DJ’s DH and I renewed our vows on SD 2 off St. John in March ’09. At that time, DJ’s DH gave me a beautiful sapphire and diamond engagement ring and matching wedding band to replace my original set.

I unwrapped the box and opened it to find the most perfect ring which matches the replacement wedding band I gave DJ’s DH on our 10th wedding anniversary. The ring, which is a diamond with a sapphire the same size as the diamond on each side, sort of looks like a hidden Mickey … well not really but that’s what I told DJ’s DH!

Just as I was thanking DJ’s DH for my birthday present Olivier walked to the table to take our orders. He was flabbergasted at his timing and then the three of just laughed.

Finally ready to order, Olivier suggested I have the first course from the vegetarian menu because of my caviar allergy. It continues to amaze me how the SD crew and staff watch over their guests like family.

Since we were going rogue with the menu, we asked Olivier if it was okay if we mixed and matched. He replied with a smile and “But of course.”

So DJ’s DH and I swapped out the first three courses for the Vegetable Terrine, Caesar Salad and Consommé. We then followed the rest of the set menu and were delighted with the Chateaubriand.

Before we knew it, the time had come for us to head down to the Main Salon for “Liars Club.” This evening’s contestants were Daniella, Head of Housekeeping; the doctor (forgive me I didn’t get his name); Silvio, our wonderfully funny and extremely accommodating maître’d, and Cat, the Activities Manager. Also joining the panel were two passengers, Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber, who are brothers.

The gist of the game is that there are four words. For each word, one character will give the real definition while the others will give a fake definition. The guests split into groups and compete to have the most correct answers.

When DJ’s DH and I first sat down in the Main Salon we sat by the door as we weren’t sure how long DJ’s DH would last with his aching back. The rest of the gang came in and graciously invited us to join them but we took a pass as DJ’s DH had found a comfortable spot. Daniel acted as the game show host and solicited each group for its team names. We called ourselves “Just the Two of Us.” More people joined us and soon our twosome became a ten-some and we renamed ourselves “More Than Just the Two of Us.”

Needless to say it was an evening filled with laughter and some moments that almost approached political incorrectness . For some reason there was a lot of talk about hair. Surprisingly our team won with the correction definition of the word which meant nibbling on a woman’s earlobe. Our prize … bragging rights.

We bid everyone a good night as the yacht promptly slipped off her lines at 11:30 p.m. and set a course for the 89-nautical mile run to Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda.

We retired to our stateroom to find that the evening’s gift was a small tin of SeaDream mints. While we did feel some motion in the ocean as we cleared the harbor, Mother Ocean rocked us ever so slightly and gently to sleep.

?action=view&current=KLMSXMon022412.mp4

Another sigh-worthy post... When my husband and I were onboard in November, I told one waiter that I hate mushrooms. Next thing I know, half the staff is asking me about my hatred of mushrooms! :D It was hilarious!

Your comments about Olivier made me remember being so well taken care of SeaDream style. So glad I have a new voyage booked. :o

Your husband sounds like a prince, too. The ring sounds lovely!

Another sigh-worthy post... When my husband and I were onboard in November, I told one waiter that I hate mushrooms. Next thing I know, half the staff is asking me about my hatred of mushrooms! :D It was hilarious!

Your comments about Olivier made me remember being so well taken care of SeaDream style. So glad I have a new voyage booked. :o

Your husband sounds like a prince, too. The ring sounds lovely!

Hopefully those are happy sighs ... especially since you have your next voyage booked!:D

SD has spoiled us for life!

DJ's DH is a prince. I am truly blessed to have him as my life partner.

ctbjr, great video. I have been on that very bar stool.:eek: I was dumb enough to be right under the planes on the beach too.:eek::eek:

Thanks, Jim. That was a fun road trip. Much better than jewelry shopping, I might add.

Archived