Cruise Rates?

hawaiibound24

I am wondering if the Costa tragedy will cause Carnival and maybe other cruise lines to reduce rates? Anyone heard anything about reduced bookings? This is not meant to bash the cruise companies, but I think maybe they might do something to not let this effect the interest in cruising.

I

I've heard one time on tv, no change in bookings said some TAs. One other TA said "1 in 10 who were already scared cancelled". No idea who she got that from, a poll about already scared cruisers was run last weekend?

Booking prices are already down year over year. (per their last earnings call)

What Im saying is there are already some good deals. I booked last week the pack n go out of Galveston on Triumph for $169 pp leaving 1/30/12. Have to hop on them, but this is the best price Ive ever seen out of Galveston, unless you count the 3 day cruise to nowhere etc. Odd ball stuff.

I've heard one time on tv, no change in bookings said some TAs. One other TA said "1 in 10 who were already scared cancelled". No idea who she got that from, a poll about already scared cruisers was run last weekend?

Booking prices are already down year over year. (per their last earnings call)

What Im saying is there are already some good deals. I booked last week the pack n go out of Galveston on Triumph for $169 pp leaving 1/30/12. Have to hop on them, but this is the best price Ive ever seen out of Galveston, unless you count the 3 day cruise to nowhere etc. Odd ball stuff.

Yeah, I saw that on the FOX news spread last night and thought to myself "really? I don't see 150 rooms popped back as open on my sailing." I think that TA is not very good with numbers.

I don't see the industry suffering too long if at all - but that is JMO.

While there may be a temporary decline in first time cruisers, there are enough repeat cruisers that I don't think the cruise lines really have much to worry about, especially during peak periods such as Spring Break and the summer months. So long as there is enough of a demand, there's really no reason for the cruise lines to suddenly start discounting their prices. I'm more concerned that if fuel prices start to go back up, how much will cruise prices increase? I've heard predictions that gasoline prices may hit $4.00 a gal. by this summer. Yikes!:eek:

I am wondering if the Costa tragedy will cause Carnival and maybe other cruise lines to reduce rates? Anyone heard anything about reduced bookings? This is not meant to bash the cruise companies, but I think maybe they might do something to not let this effect the interest in cruising.

I

I doubt it highly... about 60% of Carnival's business is repeat customers... folks who understand how amazingly rare an event like the Concordia tragedy is.

Do bookings drop when there's an airline crash killing 200... 300 folks? Nope... do folks stop driving their cars because a friend is in an accident? Nope...

This was an amazingly sad accident brought about by a man who valued his image over the safety of his passengers, I fear. Such men are extraordinarily rare at sea...

:)

While it was a tragedy it doesn't affect prices. The business side is just that, business.

If cabins are selling the price will maintain or go up, if they are not selling the price will drop but it will have nothing to do with this tragedy because any lost booking due to this will not be noticeable on the business of selling cabins

Archived