money and documents on excursions

woodsy64

Well, although it should be obvious, but it is worth saying.. to bring as little as possible with you when you are on excursions.

We have been able to leave our belongings in locked vehicles before. Other times, we rent lockers. But most of the time we bring stuff along with us and take turns in the water, etc.

Catrin

Check out a PacSafe travel safe. We have one and use it in a lot of places, from hotels with no safe to snorkel excursions, to locking my GPS and iPod in it, hooking it to the OMG!!!:eek: bar in my car and we can leave the top down and not worry about anything being taken. I did get a different lock - it came with one with a key but we changed it to a combination, now we don't have to keep up with the key.

Depending on your excursion, I was on a catamaran snorkel thing, and had my good camera, passport etc in a tote bag under my shoes. No one bothered a thing, but there were my peeps on board to "watch". The crew is good about not going through your stuff.

I know we shouldn't take much, but on our last cruise we needed to bring our passports in Cozumel. I just wondered if there are waterproof bags or something so that they don't get wet.

I got a water wallet on ebay. Check it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320588389166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I know we shouldn't take much, but on our last cruise we needed to bring our passports in Cozumel. I just wondered if there are waterproof bags or something so that they don't get wet.

Not really my business but why did you need your passport in Cozumel?

We are doing a dolphin swim there so just wondered?

we have a water tight "case" that we bought at walmart for about $8. we keep money, passports, non waterproof camera,cell phones etc. in it.

then when we want to get in the water, i carry a small back pack-you know the kind with the drawstring straps. it's very lightweight and the water drains right out of it.

i did this while doing Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios, river tubing, hiking and rapelling waterfalls in Costa Rica etc.

i can swim with it on my back. while in the tube, i just turned my backpack around to the front and everything was safe and secure on my person.

This has been the best way for us to keep our valuables on us without having to run to a locker every few minutes for cash, camera, etc. and both of us can enjoy the water together without someone having to wait behind.

Wondering the same thing...why would you need your Passport in Cozumel:confused:

Cozumel, Mexico = foreign country. Miss the ship, it's a long swim home or you can maybe find a mule to smuggle you across the border if you don't have your birth certificate and id with you.

Cozumel, Mexico = foreign country. Miss the ship, it's a long swim home or you can maybe find a mule to smuggle you across the border if you don't have your birth certificate and id with you.

This was always my thought, so I take it with me, but I've talked to a lot of people who leave their passports on the boat! :eek: I'd never PLAN to miss the boat, but stuff happens...

We saw some folks almost miss the ship in Costa Maya in December on the Dream. They were so late that the crew had gone into their cabin and gotten their passports, money, and medicine and put in a bag to leave with the Port Official for them. I saw one of the crew members who was part of that process later that day and talked to her about it because I had always wondered what happened - she said they try to not leave anyone behind but if they do have to, they try to leave them with what they will need to get home including a letter that tells them what to do. We were in a Cove Balcony just between the two forward gangways so we could hear the radio conversations as the head Carnival guy on the pier gave instructions for someone onboard to gather the passengers' stuff. We heard the radio reply where they had found the passports, money, and medicine and were instructed to bring it outside. The crew member who brought it out was a young woman and I remember her doing a little dance on the pier singing "I got to go outside today, I got to go outside today" before the head Carnival guy sent her back onboard.

your passport does you no good if you miss your ship and you need to fly home.

why have one if it's left on the ship?

Please never cruise the luxury lines or in Europe. The ships take your passports when you check in and hold them for you until debarkation day, you never see them but they do come back full of stamps.

Though I don't know this through experience, it is my understanding that when forced to leave without passengers, the ship does it's best to retrieve your documents and items in your safe and leave it with the authorities at the port.

I personnally would be more concerned about getting documents stolen if I took them off the ship. I just carry my S&S card and drivers liscense.

We saw some folks almost miss the ship in Costa Maya in December on the Dream. They were so late that the crew had gone into their cabin and gotten their passports, money, and medicine and put in a bag to leave with the Port Official for them. I saw one of the crew members who was part of that process later that day and talked to her about it because I had always wondered what happened - she said they try to not leave anyone behind but if they do have to, they try to leave them with what they will need to get home including a letter that tells them what to do. We were in a Cove Balcony just between the two forward gangways so we could hear the radio conversations as the head Carnival guy on the pier gave instructions for someone onboard to gather the passengers' stuff. We heard the radio reply where they had found the passports, money, and medicine and were instructed to bring it outside. The crew member who brought it out was a young woman and I remember her doing a little dance on the pier singing "I got to go outside today, I got to go outside today" before the head Carnival guy sent her back onboard.

this is very informative. i never knew this. i would think many others did not know this as well. this would make sense then for not taking your passport off the ship. but i don't know....still a little skeptic i suppose.

and as far as being afraid of it being stolen, well, that can happen anywhere. i've been late arriving somewhere more often then i've been mugged.

You are not going to be denied entry into the country if you do not have your passport. You will need to contact the nearest embassy and they will assist with getting you the appropriate documents in the event the ship doesn't get your passport off of the ship.

Will it be an easy, convenient, fun process? No. But you are not going to be denied admittance to the country.

One thing I do when I travel internationally is email a scan of my passport to myself and a relative back in the states. That way if I lose my passport when traveling, I can easily get a copy to the state department to make things easier.

I do always make sure to have a DL, credit card, and cash on me. Being stuck in mexico with no cash or cc is much scarier than not having my passport.

Check out Aloksak - - - These are like heavy duty zip-lok bags that will stay dry to 200' depth. They are inexpensive, available online or from many dive and sporting good stores. I bought four 6 x 9's and a companion nylon zipper pouch with web strap four years ago. I have used the same bag on at least 30 hours in the water on at least 20 snorkeling ventures, with never a leak. I take a billfold with ID, a credit card, and some cash in the Aloksak. The only other thing of value that I take along is a waterproof camera. I have never had my clothes or other (inexpensive) stuff I left on shore bothered.

You people are making much to big a deal out of this whole belongings thing.

I have been to many of Caribbean ports & beaches and have never needed any sort of device or concoction to store things.

It's just like everything else.

Common Sense...........

It's not just river cruises in Europe that take your passport and hold it. I was a bit put off the first time they took my passport and asked why they needed it. In order for the ship to dock, they have to certify that they have proof of citizenship for everyone aboard. The easiest way for them to do this is to hold all passports until the last dockage is complete. That way they have them in hand if anyone questions them about any of the passengers.

Archived