Costa compensation offer

rickechambers1@aol.com

Here's how the media works:

Company issues a press release. The media takes a snipet from it, and reports on it. The customers then take that snipet, and exaggerates it. Even in the rare case when a corrected story is published, the original story has already gained legs and will be available forever on the internet.

A recent story was that Verizon Wireless would charge $2 for paying their bill with a credit card. Even though most people don't pay this way, they got up in arms about it. Most companies don't allow you to pay with a credit card in the first place, and those that do (utility companies, IRS, cable companies, etc) already charge a fee. Eventually, Verizon Wireless backed down. Bank of America had the same issue, even though the fees they were preparing to charge affected about 10% of their customers base, according to someone at the bank. In the meantime, thousands of other fees have been enacted, but never get the publicity, and thus are free of the wrath of the 'net!

As for the lawyer...free publicity never hurts!

Official website response

With reference to news reports on discounts and promotional offers, Costa Cruises feels bound to point out that the company has never offered any discount on future cruises to guests who were on board the Costa Concordia for the cruise of January 13th and involved in the tragic accident. The information published by a newspaper and reported in various news outlets is totally unfounded

Well, people did die. That's a trauma they will have to live with the rest of their lives. And the chaos of the ship. I know Italy's government is doing everything possible right now because they do not want their reputation ruined over one person. I don't think American media is reporting this but one of the women that passed away was working illegally and called home as the tragedy happened and was one of the ones found with the life vest. I don't know if there were others. I don't know what the compensation should be, perhaps people on the ship can be their own judge.

I was victim of a frivolous lawsuit and I can't stand malpractice or ambulance chasers but this case is very different.

Not where I am concerned. And especially when dealing with American ambulance chasers. Their filing a class action lawsuit puts more money in the lawyers pockets than it does in the people who actually suffered through this tragedy.

And what is fair? People who have been on the ship for several weeks to get the same as the people who just got on the ship? How about those who lost their lives, what should their famlies get?

Did you know that there was already one false claim being made? It is not bad enough that people have suffered, died and some are still missing. But some low life fileda missing person report on someone that has been dead for three years?

This just boggles my mind.

Archived