Tahiti without Excursions?

MichTraveler

Anyone sail the 10-day Tahitian Princess and not do excursions? I see recommendations for each island via Princess and independent operators.

Anyone just get off the ship and walk to the beach or swimming or snorkeling or a little shopping at a few ports?

absolutley! first time we went, we took the ferry to Moorea on our full day on Tahiti, caught a cab to the Sofitel and spent the day there snorkeling and sunning. Beautiful beach and great snorkeling. rented a car on Huahine to see the island and stopped along the way to snorkel and have a couple Hinano's. rented a car one day on BB to see the island and - of course- snorkel. We booked private excursions on every island this last time and had a great time. really had a great time both ways. be sure you hook up with some CC friends, that made everything we did even better!

Yes, we also just enjoyed beach days. On our first full day in Tahiti as well, we took the ferry over to Moorea and spent the day at the Sheraton, enjoying the beach and snorkeling.

In Rarotonga, we took the city bus around the island, got off at Muri beach, it was kinda messed up from the recent cyclones so we spent an hour then got back on the city bus. We started seeing gorgeous beaches on the other side of the island from where the ship docked and ended up getting off the bus again at the Rarotongan Beach Resort (the bus stopped right at the lobby). It was AWESOME there, incredible water and snorkeling. Rarotonga was the easiest to get around, it takes an hour to get around the island, so we knew if we got off the bus at 12:30, it would be back at 1:30 again going in the same direction (30 minutes if we wanted to go back the other way).

In Bora Bora there is a beach bus that the locals run that will take you to the beach - we did this the first day, then rented a car on the second day.

On our last day in Tahiti, we went to the visitors center and found out where the nice black sand beach was and how to get there. We took an air conditioned city bus and had a blast playing in the gentle waves at the black sand beach in Tahiti with Moorea in the background.

It's not like the Carribean where you can just walk off the ship and there is a beach right there, but they are not hard to find. Have a great time.

Tammy

we had all our excursions planned before we went, but many people winged it and had alot of fun. Most all ports there were people on the dock with tours or you could rent mopeds, cars or these scoot cars looked neat. I believe there was only one place they drove on the left side of the road and alot of people said it was real awkward. Some people went to hotels to see them, others went jet sking, some to the beach via taxi or bus. I believe there is something to be said about both ways, just depends on what type person you are. Most of the laid back people just went with the flow and seemed to have as good a time as anyone else. I must say if you dont go on a 4x4 in Bora Bora on a sunny day you will have missed some of the most beatiful water in the world from on top of the mountains, some people begged me for photos. but then again what you dont see wont hurt you. There was one couple who booked a over water bungelow in Bora Bora the first night and came back to the ship the next day, you can stay out as long as you want, that night. Have fun no matter what, try not to stress out over this, it will work out any way you go.

Eric

I've been reading that several excursions seem to be held right off a hotel property (swimming with dolphins, for example). Since I just found out that booze on international flights is free, something that I thought was too good to be true (for my husband, who hates to fly), why couldn't we just leave the ship and take a cab over to one of these hotels and play there, rather than paying for a shore excursion? Thanks!

Tammy and Laurie,

Did you need to buy a day pass to access the beaches at either the Rarotongan Resort or the Moorea Sofitel? If not, did either hotel hassle you about using their beach?

A second question about transportation. On Moorea, did you use a taxi to get back and forth from the Sofitel to the dock? On Rarotonga, did you need local currency for the bus, and did you pay each time you got on or was there an all day fare? The hour you mentioned, was that a full circuit of the island of just to get from the dock to the resort?

Ira

Ira,

OK: Day passes, I can only speak for the Rarotongan Beach Resort and The Moorea Sheraton. Neither of which seemed to have any problems with us using their beach or walking onto their property for that matter. However, we did not attempt to use their pools or any lounge chairs. Just threw our towels on the beach and NO ONE bothered us. At the Sheraton in Moorea, I also got an incredible massage and they had no problems whatsoever with going to the front desk to actually charge my credit card - they were very nice. At the Rarotongan we did some shopping in their shops and they were very pleasant as well.

Taxi on Moorea - the day we went to the Sheraton - we actually took the ferry over from Papeete then took LeTruck for $3.00 to the Sheraton - we had to wait a LONG time for Letruck at the end of the day, but eventually it did come back (we wern't thinking clearly or we could have gotten back on one bus that we let pass and just have gone all the way around the island we were already half-way around anyway).

In Rarotonga, we did not think to ask if there was an all day pass. I know we paid with US money and I think it was $3.00 apiece each time we got on. Yes it is one hour to get all the way around Rarotonga on the bus. When we got on the bus at Cook's Corner (there is a sign, the bus stop is at a little covered restaurant and will have a sign posting exactly when the next bus will be back going in either direction), we took the clockwise bus for about a 20 minute ride over to Muri Beach. When we got back on the bus going in the same direction, it was probably another 20 minutes before we were at the Rarotongan Beach Resort (you will see the beaches from the bus and the water starting to get GORGEOUS) - the bus pulled right up to the front lobby of the Rarotongan Resort.

Have a great time whatever you do!

Tammy

we paid 5.00 apiece to use chairs, restrooms and showers. oucould throw your towel on the sand and no one would bother you. We took a cab, but you can easily catch le truck for lots less money. Just be sure you get back to the ferry dock before the last ferry back!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived