Carry on Size in Galveston?

parrotthead

I had Never seen this before, but when we were in the terminal in Galveston, waiting to board the Magic this past November, prior to going thru the Secruity CheckPoint we saw Carnival personal measureing some peoples carry ons and then making them check them...(if they were too big?)

Does anyone know the dementions that are allowed for CarryOn?

Like I said, Id never seen them do this befoe, and we usually only carry a backpack so its never even been a concern for us, but since we are traveling with "The Traveling GingerBaby" (7mos) this time, we will have a stroller and A roller bag with his 'stuff' in it...dont Even wanna take a chance of formula and diapers not making it to our cabin.... :p

While we were waiting for them to open the secuitiy lines we saw them do it 4 times...

Once again, I did not see this happening on my visit. We were a very delayed embark and it was crowded and busy in the terminal. Your mileage may vary.

I would assume they measure to make sure bags will be able to go through the xray machine. It really backs up the line if a person gets up to the machine and it wont go through.

I have seen them hand wand strollers in most ports, but never sailed out of Fogaston

I am interested in this as well. I have a 1 year old little boy that I do not want to check his stuff, I cant take that chance to not have diapers for days

What dos the Carnival FAQ say about carry on luggage size? Print it out and take it win you. I seriously doubt anyone is going to make you check supplies for baby. And why would you be without diapers for "days"?

I would assume they measure to make sure bags will be able to go through the xray machine. It really backs up the line if a person gets up to the machine and it wont go through.

I have seen them hand wand strollers in most ports, but never sailed out of Fogaston

I figured thats why they were doing it too... "Fogeston" (lol) was recently remolded, so they may have had 'new fangled' x-a-ray machines... could be why the were doing it in Nov... ??

not worried anout the stroller, its a travel type, desinged to calasp small and light, SO it will go thru, no problem.

the roller we are taking is more like and "old lady' would pull on a shopping trip (hey, *I AM* almost an 'old lady', so I can say that--lol) But to give you the idea of the type of roller, meaning it is too flimsy to be checked in either case...

What dos the Carnival FAQ say about carry on luggage size? Print it out and take it win you. I seriously doubt anyone is going to make you check supplies for baby. And why would you be without diapers for "days"?

Website doesnot say anyting that I could find....(and Im pretty familiar with Carnival website--lol);)

Did not see this, but they did ask everyone entering the building to make sure their carry on was not larger than a standard carry on and I saw way stricter check in than any of my previous cruises. They practically took the baby strollers apart to go thru security. They inspected every bag very carefully and anyone with any liquid had to have their bag taken to the "table" where it was also torn apart. Every water bottle was examined and shaken. It made for a very slow check in for an already late boarding. We were a party of twelve with two sleeping infants in strollers. I do not understand why you have to carry a baby thru security at arms length. This was the most inconvenient part of it all, because both babies were asleep after waiting hours to board, and being held at arms length woke them both up. Several other parents had the same complaint. I understand security and the importance of it, but I don't understand the benefit of holding an infant at arms length. Anything that would set the detector off would set it off whether the child is held close or at arms length. Sorry to change the subject here, but it seems like Galveston is doing overkill for the Magic, where as other ports are lacking in comparison.

OP, I completely agree with you about not checking infant's supplies.

If you lost a bag full of diapers, I dont know if you ever traveled with a kid or not, but 8 days of dipers will take an entire bag. I would have to wait till we got to a port to buy more. I am pretty sure that carnival does not sell dipers on board

Your carry on must be able to go through the airport sized scanner....About 20x18x10 is about the largest..There is no length restriction, like a hanging suit or garment bag is no problem.. I have also seen them send people back...some of the security people at Galveston are not the friendliest....Never have seen anyone with a stroller have a problem..

Website doesnot say anyting that I could find....(and Im pretty familiar with Carnival website--lol);)

This is from the FAQ

In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage.

Did not see this, but they did ask everyone entering the building to make sure their carry on was not larger than a standard carry on and I saw way stricter check in than any of my previous cruises. They practically took the baby strollers apart to go thru security. They inspected every bag very carefully and anyone with any liquid had to have their bag taken to the "table" where it was also torn apart. Every water bottle was examined and shaken. It made for a very slow check in for an already late boarding. We were a party of twelve with two sleeping infants in strollers. I do not understand why you have to carry a baby thru security at arms length. This was the most inconvenient part of it all, because both babies were asleep after waiting hours to board, and being held at arms length woke them both up. Several other parents had the same complaint. I understand security and the importance of it, but I don't understand the benefit of holding an infant at arms length. Anything that would set the detector off would set it off whether the child is held close or at arms length. Sorry to change the subject here, but it seems like Galveston is doing overkill for the Magic, where as other ports are lacking in comparison.

OP, I completely agree with you about not checking infant's supplies.

yes, we had 4 unopened (regular sized) water bottles and we were put at the 'shaking table'..lol.So since we will be carring some of the 'ready to serve' bottles, Im sure we will get pulled to the side... expecting that.

i dont mind the extra security...(got nothing to hide--boring);) ..stroller can go thru xray if needed, its designed for travel...

holding GingerBaby at arms lenght may be difficult...at 7mo and 24#s hes a Moose!!! :eek::p

If you lost a bag full of diapers, I dont know if you ever traveled with a kid or not, but 8 days of dipers will take an entire bag. I would have to wait till we got to a port to buy more. I am pretty sure that carnival does not sell dipers on board

they dont...:o

This is from the FAQ

In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage.

cool....

The strollers going thru xray was not a problem. The guy actually wanted us to unassemble them. We said they don't unassemble and he looked dumbfounded. Nothing could be in the stroller. Not even the extra pacifier clipped onto it. I just didn't see the point of all of that if it was going thru the xray anyway.

Parrothead, you did not have to hold your baby at arms length to go thru security? Because all babies and toddlers had to be held this way on our Jan 1 cruise on the Magic.

Your carry on must be able to go through the airport sized scanner....About 20x18x10 is about the largest..There is no length restriction, like a hanging suit or garment bag is no problem.. I have also seen them send people back...some of the security people at Galveston are not the friendliest....Never have seen anyone with a stroller have a problem..

thanks...I dont fly so I had no idea what 'standard carry on' is these days... ;)

Just make sure your carry ons are standard size and dont let them out of your sight! Also diapers are available in ports, so no worries. Have fun !

! Also diapers are available in ports, so no worries. Have fun !

Dont know about others, but I would not take a chance on putting GingerBabys GingerButt in any brand that I wasnt sure he wouldnt have a reaction to... he has never had 'diaper butt' and sure dont want to deal with that....:p

(organic baby that he is);)

I had Never seen this before, but when we were in the terminal in Galveston, waiting to board the Magic this past November, prior to going thru the Secruity CheckPoint we saw Carnival personal measureing some peoples carry ons and then making them check them...(if they were too big?)

Does anyone know the dementions that are allowed for CarryOn?

Like I said, Id never seen them do this befoe, and we usually only carry a backpack so its never even been a concern for us, but since we are traveling with "The Traveling GingerBaby" (7mos) this time, we will have a stroller and A roller bag with his 'stuff' in it...dont Even wanna take a chance of formula and diapers not making it to our cabin.... :p

One of those folks happened to be me! It wasn't the carry-on luggage they were having the most issues with, it was the carry-on ice chests. DH and I bought it to use for our bottled water for our July cruise on the Conquest. My sis and I used it for our water and wine for our November cruise on the Magic which is where they stopped us and measured it and said it was 1 inch too tall....what? I get being cautious with the width and depth but height? Seemed just ludicrous to me. And what was even more ludicrous was that it was the rollers on the bottom that made the difference on the height according to 'Ms. Measureing Tape'. I knew the cooler space itself was the correct dimensions - that is why we bought it. So, I had to unload our water and wine, put it in plastic wal-mart bags that they supplied, then walk my soft-sided cooler back to the car. It was just the most ridiculous thing I have ever encountered. They didn't look twice at our carry-ons only the ice chest. I believe the size you can bring on is 12x12x12 for ice chest - but be aware that is not just the cooler space itself, it must include the wheels. We were certainly not alone, there was a long line of us unloading our drinks and a lot of very unhappy folk.

Dont know about others, but I would not take a chance on putting GingerBabys GingerButt in any brand that I wasnt sure he wouldnt have a reaction to... he has never had 'diaper butt' and sure dont want to deal with that....:p

(organic baby that he is);)

Then I would guard your organic baby bag full of organic only products with your life! I only mentioned the port as a last resort if you somehow lost/ran out of/or misplaced the diapers. Are you bringing Dreft to re-wash all the towels and linens too? If your baby is sensitive, the ships laundry products may be too harsh.

Your carry on must be able to go through the airport sized scanner....About 20x18x10 is about the largest..There is no length restriction,.

In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions).

So if Im reading this correctly I can carry on my rolling duffle since length doesnt matter. Right?????

Seemed just ludicrous to me. And what was even more ludicrous was that it was the rollers on the bottom that made the difference on the height according to 'Ms. Measureing Tape'. .

lol...yes. She seemed very strict about her measuring...

She was also the "no Picture police"... One (very official looking) guy told a couple they could take a snapshot outside the secruity check point, but not inside that area or beyond.... MsMT, was beside herself.... and repremanded them stearnly...

(a little too much power perhaps?) ;) "Bless her Heart"

Archived