Crown

Mary Jane

We were on 5/2-9. It was an excellent cruise, with no problems other than a little too much wet weather.

All of the five regularly scheduled non-luxury ships you can take to Bermuda are older (1988-1992) and smaller (35-45K tons) than most people are used to. Among those ships, I would not choose either NCL Majesty or Empress of the Seas because the state rooms are too small, and there are too many of them. I have been on Horizon (twin to Zenith, which also goes to Bermuda) and liked her very much.

I would have a great cruise to Bermuda on Crown or either of the two Celebrity ships. Those three ships all have minor plusses and minuses, but I chose Crown because of Freestyle dining. Although I generally prefer assigned dining (with the same staff who you get to know and vice versa), given that we were docked for three evenings, it was nice to avoid having to plan evenings in port around a set dinner time, or give up the best ship's meal of the day.

The truth is I truly love balcony cabins in the modern Panamax ships with all they have to offer, but there is nothing like them going to Bermuda. Frankly, I was a little concerned prior to departure based on the Crown bashings on this board. However, there were no incidents on our trip, and based on our trip and a friend's recent South American trip on her, I feel confident recommending her.

More later. If you have any particular questions, please ask.

Hi Ted,

I was on the Majesty----------in Bermuda at the same time as you. The Crown was anchored next to us.

Yes, our statroom was small, but how much time is spent in it? Not much.

We were busy enjoying the ambience of the Ship on Sea days, and the flavor of Bermuda, albiet rainy while in port.

The Majesty's crew was very friendly, helpful, and efficient. Their eforts made our vacation

wonderful, despite rough seas in each direction.

My advice to all who cruise to Bermuda--------Bring AND USE sea-sick preparations. We did and felt fine.

We will definitely cruise the Majesty in the future---------Nice Ship.

HI!

Thanks for some positive info on the Crown.. We have sailed both the Sea and the Dawn and I am sure that we will enjoy the Crown.

If you have any pictures that you could be post, that would be great. How about a review? icon_smile.gif

MJ

Ted

thanks for the ++ words on the Crown. I would appreciate some feedback from someone who has sailed recently..can you address these questions please??

1. What time did you get on in NY and how would you rate the embarkation process?

2. Dining experiences, where and when, did you have any exceptional wait staff you could name? Best meals, worst meals, hints on when to go to limit wait times??

3. Entertainment for the week? My Dad and friend like ballroom dancing, any chance that is one of the activities??

4. Overall ship maintenance? any problems you were aware of?

5. Any special hidden areas of the ship that you discovered?

6. Pool has been rumored to have soot and grease in it from the engine funnel, did you see this? How difficult to find a chair on deck on sea days?? Any luck getting in the hot tubs during your voyage?

7. Shore excursions, did you book thru NCL or on own?? good or bad? bus passes? any hints for fun in Bermuda??

8. Any don't miss activities or tours that you enjoyed??

9. Room service has had mixed reviews.. (mostly bad) did you have any experience with them on your cruise?

10. You said the Crown had minor plusses and minuses compared to the Celebrity ships going to Bermuda..how so??

Much thanks, this information addict really appreciates a first hand review of shipboard life on the Crown.

Chris Mitchell

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Carnival Fascination 11/04

Thanks for the update from your recent cruise Ted.

I've been on both of these ships to Bermuda (Crown and Majesty) although before free style when I was on Crown.

The Norwegian Crown is my favorite ship in this size group. I love her feel and her decor and her open spaces for viewing. I agree that her cabins are better, larger, better featured than on Majesty. However, for two people the majesty accomodations are fine.

Majesty is a nice ship in her own right, and I expected not to think that before I boarded her. I think that her spaces are more given to free style dining variety. I aosl like her itinieary better. Bermuda is best enjoyed by staying put and renting a motor scooter IMHO.

cmitch, regarding the Celebrity ship comparisons: Celebrity has a more favorable pax density and will have a more refined traditional dining room. Those ships are a bit bigger too.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

> 1. What time did you get on in NY and how would you rate the embarkation process?

We sailed from Philadelphia on 4/25. We arrived at the pier around 1 pm, and were in our cabin in about 30 minutes. From what I've read, boarding experiences can vary the most of any cruise encounter, depending upon time of day and the port. I doubt any generalities can be drawn.

2. Dining experiences, where and when, did you have any exceptional wait staff you could name? Best meals, worst meals, hints on when to go to limit wait times??

We almost never ate before 8 pm (that's our preference). We *never* had to wait in the main restaurant. The best meal, by far, was in le Bistro. We made reservations there several days in advance, directly with the Maitre d'.

> 4. Overall ship maintenance? any problems you were aware of?

I thought the ship's been *very well* maintained, with only a few cosmetic problems (a cracked mirror in one elevator, for example).

> 5. Any special hidden areas of the ship that you discovered?

Not quite 'hidden'... there's some very nice wicker furniture just outside of the Lido bar on the port side of the ship. I think that may be the designated 'cigar smoking' area, although we never saw anyone actually smoking cigars there. That nook was our favorite place for playing scrabble and sunning.

> 6. Pool has been rumored to have soot and grease in it from the engine funnel, did you see this? How difficult to find a chair on deck on sea days?? Any luck getting in the hot tubs during your voyage?

We did have some soot one day. It just happened because of the direction of the wind, and it wasn't a big deal. I'd say there are plenty of lounges... we never had a problem finding one, and there are lots of little spaces where there are four or five tucked away. We didn't use the hot tubs, but I never saw an occassion when there wouldn't have been space, if we *had* wanted to use them.

Phil

7. Shore excursions, did you book thru NCL or on own?? good or bad? bus passes? any hints for fun in Bermuda??

Just arrived home after a lovely 5/9 departure week upon the Crown with my sister and our 79 year old mother.

We had a WONDERFUL trip. Weather was fantastic! Food, Service, Ship were very nice. We ate in the Seven Seas main dining for most meals. Absolutely nothing I can think to complain about. Was really concerned after reading comments from passengers on this and other boards about sailings on the Crown to Bermuda prior to ours. I even considered cancelling a week prior to our cruise.

But, we were most pleasantly surprised. There were no mechanical malfunctions, there was no soot in the pool, we never heard of anyone being sick, and believe me, we talked to ALOT of people over the course of the 7 day cruise. Most passengers that we talked to had a great cruise and had NO complaints.

Of course there were a few that somehow were expecting that the ship was not going to be small, that the food would taste like their favorite restaurant back home, that there would not be a breeze on deck when the ship was moving, etc.

We had a suite on the Riviera Deck, and were very pleased with the cabin as well as our room steward, Gerry, and the couple times we ordered room service we received it within 10 minutes or so.

All in all, a vacation to remember!!

Martha

MarthaD: Am so happy with your review.I was getting worried about this ship.I know is very small compared to the Dawn.This is what we wanted.Thank you so much.Am really looking forward to our cruise in august. icon_cool.gif

10/03 Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;03;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 8/22/04 NCL Crown

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;08;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Dawn 8/24/03

Marthad, We are in a suite, 9042, on the Crown June 27th. Is there anything special the you had because of the suite?

Denise

11/10/00 Married my best friend aboard

Grandeur of the Seas

Bermuda on the Crown

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;27;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Martha & Frank

thanks so much for the information and news of the Crown. So glad that you had a wonderful cruise... I was really hoping that the ship could get things on track so that the beauty of Bermuda would come shining thru. Glad that the problems that had been a black cloud over the ship have moved on.

We are getting near our final payment date so these reports from returning passengers are very important!

thanks for helping calm the fears of all the future crown passengers.

Chris Mitchell

bermuda bound 8/8/04!

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Carnival Fascination 11/04

I'm just back from the 5/9 sailing of the Crown. Had a wonderful time.

1. What time did you get on in NY and how would you rate the embarkation process?

The crown leaves from Philly, not NY. Very easy process for embarkation. We got there around noon before the crowds started.

We usually ate around 7. The Seven Seas was where we ate most dinners. Buffet was good for breakfast & lunch.

3. Entertainment for the week? My Dad and friend like ballroom dancing, any chance that is one of the activities??

There was ballroom dancing with the orchestra on at least 2 nights. This was on the nights that they had 2 shows, and the dancing was for about an hour in between the shows.

4. Overall ship maintenance? any problems you were aware of?

They are in constant maintenance mode. We saw areas being painted, rails that had just been varnished, etc. Overall, the ship looks pretty nice.

5. Any special hidden areas of the ship that you discovered?

Not really many hidden areas. Ship is fairly small.

6. Pool has been rumored to have soot and grease in it from the engine funnel, did you see this? How difficult to find a chair on deck on sea days?? Any luck getting in the hot tubs during your voyage?

We did see some soot early a couple of mornings. Only on sea days. I guess it blows back that way. We didn't use the pool, but it always looked clean when people were using it.

Bus passes were very easy. The drivers all know the islands very well. They can answer any question you have. Around 4 p.m. busses are very crowded with school children. They are very polite and will give up their seats in a heartbeat, but I didn't want to hold them up from getting home on time.

We did the Ultimate Water Tour in St. George's. Wonderful, informative tour. Also did the helmet diving. Pretty cool. We booked them through the ship. They are right there at the terminal to meet you when you get off the ship. No confusion at all.

On the ship, do the sports afloat program if you can fit it in. There are daily activities (walking, stretch class, etc.) that are marked on the Freestyle Daily. If you do 12 of them during your cruise, you will get a "In Motion On the Ocean" T-shirt. Say Hi to John in the gym. He's very laid back and makes the excercising (almost) painless!

5/9/04 Crown to Bermuda!

DeeMarch, we were in Cabin 9031. There was a bottle of champagne and fresh fruit in our cabin upon arrival. The fresh fruit was replenished upon request. Besides the great cabin and excellent service (which I believe was consistent throughout the ship), I think that was the extent of the perks at the AC level.

Martha

just back from 5/9 sailing on crown, i totally agree with comco, we really lucked out smooth sailing down and back, weather was great in bermuda, i stayed in an owners suite on floor 10, service was great, ship looked very clean, food was very good, i really enjoyed the smaller ship, we met so many nice people, i hope evverything goes great on your cruises

any questions e-mail wendyr20000@yahoo.com

Archived