CARNIVAL Concordia?????

frazzledrazzle16

Celebrity managed to do this perfectly...

I got that letter as well even though we had to cancel our TA on the Solstice.

It might be sloppy and/or mean spirited journalism, but don't buy that ABC is doing this to boost DCL's profits. I might be able to see that if ABC was owned by NCL or even RCI. I don't think Carnival losing customers translates into Disney gaining them. Carnival Cruise Lines is budget oriented and appeals to a broad spectrum of cruisers.

Disney is a relatively expensive niche cruise line, that appeals to specific demographic. Try as they might to attract singles and older folks, middle/upper middle class families with small kids are their bread and butter. Many people like me won't cruise with them for that exact reason. They are also pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of cruising. They have four ships and control a mere 3% of the market. Nearly nothing when compared to Carnival Corp.'s +50% market share and 100+ ships. I just don't see that Carnival Corp. has a similar brand in their portfolio for Disney to steal from.

I don't think that there are a lot of people out there saying "Gee, I better not go on Carnival, their ship's sink. I better go with Disney instead." I think that if anyone out there actually changed their plans because of this, it would go more like "Gee, I better not go on Carnival, their ship's sink. Norwegian has some good rates, let's check them out".

Also, and I'm just spitballing here, it may have helped if the Concordia wasn't a dead ringer for a CCL ship. Switch out the funnels and she basically IS the Splendor. Each time I see her laying there its a bit freaky since she looks like so many of the CCL ships I have been on.

We did Disney Darth and we are 'old'! :D I have to agree with you.

On checking Ms. Sawyer's biography she got a BA in English from Wellesley College and did a semester in law school before going into journalism. She started out as a weather girl. Consequently, no Journalism Degree. Maybe she writes her own copy in ink. It is probably just sloppy like you said. She did work in the Nixon White House during Watergate and prepped him for the Frost interviews. :o

Sounds like you know a very narrow group of people! Costa is far better known than many hear would like to think, along with the FACT that Costa is owned by Carnival Corporation.

I believe it has to do with location. On this side of the world there are no costa ships that leave out of our local ports. Has nothing to do with narrow minds;)

What Halo mentioned is negative marketing 101 (and yes I have a BBA in marketing). It works because people don't want to overthink things so they go with the simple answer handed to them. They see "Carnival" ship and here in the US that translates to CCL. CCL is no more related to Costa than Princess or Holland America but they don't know that. One thing most people are willing to do (especially family cruisers) is pay a little more for safety. (And yes Disney is hoping to capture some market share based on this knowledge.)

I 100% agree this confusion wouldn't exist if the parent corporation didn't have the same name.

Just as Carnival, Princess and Holland are related to Carnival Corporation, Costa is related in the same way. They are all owned by Carnival Corporation, therefore linked! I for one have never seen the need for courses in marketing, it's all common sense and people are smarter than others give credit for. Not everyone needs the obvious explained. Schools used to challange students to think, too bad that's not the case anymore.

Although managment has to and in fact has taken a portion of the blame. But the same is true in respect to the captain, as I hear from my boss.(Have worked for nearly 20 years as a motorcoach driver) He likes to say I can not control what the drivers do on the road, other then to fire them after they do it. His point being that unless he is on the bus he can't control how we drive.

My point being, this was not the first time the captain took such dangerous chances with the lives of his passengers, and apparantly it was known!

And if the shoe was on Carnival Corporation's foot, they would be doing exactly the same!

If Carnival were taking a dirty dig at any other line while they were laying bleeding and wounded, I'd call them on it as well.

Please understand that I am not a cheerleader...I just see some of the media around this as being very opportunistic.

To some that's business...to me it's a turn off....simple as that.

My point being, this was not the first time the captain took such dangerous chances with the lives of his passengers, and apparantly it was known!

We should wait until we know that for sure, don't you think?

Just as Carnival, Princess and Holland are related to Carnival Corporation, Costa is related in the same way. They are all owned by Carnival Corporation, therefore linked! I for one have never seen the need for courses in marketing, it's all common sense and people are smarter than others give credit for. Not everyone needs the obvious explained. Schools used to challange students to think, too bad that's not the case anymore.

Yes, yes we are all aware of corporate structure.

When the some one says "Carnival Corporation ship", no biggy, as it is semantically correct.

When they say Carnival Cruise Lines ship they are either ignorant of the facts, or deliberately misstating them. Evidence would suggest that ABC is doing it with purpose.

Yes, yes we are all aware of corporate structure.

When the some one says "Carnival Corporation ship", no biggy, as it is semantically correct.

When they say Carnival Cruise Lines ship they are either ignorant of the facts, or deliberately misstating them. Evidence would suggest that ABC is doing it with purpose.

Saying "Carnival Cruise Lines ship" is much sloppier than the one I saw that had Diane Sawyer saying "that Carnival cruise ship".

Every cruise ship that belongs to a company that is owned by Carnival is a Carnival cruise ship.

If you went to business school you would realize that marketing is more than just "advertising" which is a common error people make. If you worked anywhere in corporate structure or business you would realize your references to responsible business management is what people call micro-management and it doesn't work. Not sure what you base your opinion on as far as school but I had instructors that made classes interesting and challenging both in college and grad school.

Can you say anything that isn't negative or is that all you have to contribute?

If you went to business school you would realize that marketing is more than just "advertising" which is a common error people make. If you worked anywhere in corporate structure or business you would realize your references to responsible business management is what people call micro-management and it doesn't work. Not sure what you base your opinion on as far as school but I had instructors that made classes interesting and challenging both in college and grad school.

Can you say anything that isn't negative or is that all you have to contribute?

I did go to business school, found it to be boring. As I said before, it's a matter of common sense! Micro management continues to be used very broadly, and does work in many situations. Hopefully your experiences in business taught you that blanket statements such as the one you made re micro management are not wise! I guess you will consider this post negative too, since it points out the faults in your thinking.

Sounds like you know a very narrow group of people! Costa is far better known than many hear would like to think, along with the FACT that Costa is owned by Carnival Corporation.

no, i know a great deal of people, few of which cruise. and the name costa is foriegn to them.

any words following "carnival" or "royal caribbean" like corp., lines, or international would be lost on them, as well as insignificant.

Archived