Corfu Beach

3travelersgo

Hi! We are sailing RCI Grandeur in July. When we get to Corfu, we know we want to go to the beach. We are trying to decide if we should take the shore excursion or if it's just as easy to take a taxi to the beach.

Obviously, we don't want to miss the ship at the end of the trip. Any experience with this port?

For Kerkyra (Corfu), we took the local bus to Dassia beach--a decent beach, good swimming, and watersports, parasailing, banana boat rides. We had no clue where to go exactly once on the Dassia bus--but then saw the Chandon Hotel en route and jumped off, as that was where the our cruise's "beach break" went to--we would have just done that thru the cruiseline, but it was from 7:30-11:30AM. We were just arriving at 11:00 to the beach when cruisers were having to leave. We just walked thru the hotel and out to the public beach. Right in front was a water sports area. Very nice, easy day once we found the Dassi bus--bit of wandering around town--the bus is away from the port area--10 minutes thru the town. buses run every 20-30 minutes. Cab is $$, like 70 euros each way, I think. A family from our cruise took a cab and were bummed when we told them how easy the bus had been. We left "extra" early so as to make the ship--no worries, a bus came by 10 minutes after we walked to the stop and we had 2+ hours to walk around the old town when we got back.

FYI-normally, in corfu, you take a city bus provided to the cruiseline from port to town ($1-2 euros) and 5 minute ride. Then, you walk thru the old town area uphill and to the newer part of town and that is where the Dassi bus was. We went to the right towards the Fort and did a very circuitous route and finally found the bus 30 minutes later---otherwise, it would have been 10 minutes, if we had just walked straight!

I would take that Dassai bus and do the exact same thing again, if I were on Corfu--very easy, very safe, great day, cheap. You can buy food, drinks, etc. at the hotel.

I do not know about renting chairs. There were chairs and umbrellas for those staying at the Chandon hotel (with name tags on them) and for those from the cruise excursion--but they were all leaving at 11:30 am, so then there were extra random chairs. There were trees near the shore, so you could find shade with a random unclaimed chair, or put your towel on the beach--sort of rough sand/pebbles.

I am sure you could buy a drink for cash at the bar and sit in one the of shaded pool/bar area covered tables with chairs for a while. We got off the boat at 9:45 or so, go lost finding the bus, wandered around (very safe) for 45 minutes or so, rode the 20 minute bus and got to the beach at about 11AM, stayed until about 1:30, got the bus, walked around town and took the 3pm shuttle back to the boat (we left at 4PM). So, for 2.5 hours, we just found a random chair near a tree. The hotel is very lovely, sort of understated elegance.

They were also setting up what looked like a really good outdoor buffet. you might want to email the hotel and ask about the buffet, if you have a late departure. You mght also inquire about a day pass---I have no idea if they offer one, but it is a very nice place with a good looking pool (of course, we did not use the pool).

I liked this beach better than Paradise at Mykonos--which reminded me of Cozumel.

re/ Chandon Dassi Hotel. I would email and say "friends recommended your lovely hotel, is it possible we could pay for a day pass?"

FWIW---Mykonos and Corfu beaches were perfectly fine, but not something I would do if there was any other thing interesting. Mykonos reminded me 100% of a beach club in Cozumel. Dassai at Corfu was lovely---but more like a seaside place vs. a vast beach, such as at Hilton Head or Fla.

We had a nice time--and were on a 12 day crusie with 11 port stops, so a few days relaxing were fine, but if you are going to Greece expecting fabulous beaches (as I was), be prepared.

I sent an e-mail to the hotel and got a very nice reply. Here it is:

Thank you for your mail and interest in our hotels.

In reply to your comments we would like to offer a daily pass for each member of your family which costs 15.00 €.

In this pass is included the use of one beach chair and one refreshment or coffee or juice.

We would like to thank you once more for your preference towards our hotels and we will be waiting to welcoming you here.

Yours Sincerely,

Spyros Messas

Rooms Division Manager

Corfu & Dassia Chandris Hotels

Does anyone else have any experience with this property. Would love to hear more opinions!

That is a great deal, esp. if you take the Dassia bus for 2 euros or so(assuming everyone is able-bodied and can walk 15 minutes thru town--very safe and easy). We just pushed the stop button when we saw the hotel. The stop is across the street from the hotel.

I assume with the day pass, you could also use the pool--very nice. They have nice, clean bathrooms, as well. I just LOVED this hotel. FYI--this is the hotel that Princess sends its passengers on for the "Beach break," so that should give you a little comfort about the quality. I found several pictures online to check it out. I assume you have seen their website. Look at the pool and the photos of meandering walkways toward the sea with trees here and there. That is exactly what it looks like----very much of an upscale, understated California feel to it--if that helps. Good luck. Elaine

Elaine.....Thanks so much for your comments and advice. I am concerned about that walk to get the bus. My husband might not be able to do that. Are there taxis available right there at the port and what do you think the cost might be out to the resort? We looked at it on Google Earth and it didn't seem to be be terribly far. But then.....that was from space!! Ha! Do you know anything about any of the other beaches there?

taxis are very $$$. I think a family of 4 paid 100 euros (might have been even more). It's a solid 20 minute ride. Dassia is the best/closest beach. There is one across the island (Petro/Paeleo something), but taxi fare is $$$ and only 3 buses per day.

Doesn't your ship offer a beach break? If walking is an issue, I would just take the ship's beach break.

taxis are very $$$. I think a family of 4 paid 100 euros (might have been even more). It's a solid 20 minute ride. Dassia is the best/closest beach. There is one across the island (Petro/Paeleo something), but taxi fare is $$$ and only 3 buses per day.

Doesn't your ship offer a beach break? If walking is an issue, I would just take the ship's beach break.

Haven't checked on the excursions. We just don't do ship's excursions. He'll probably be OK to walk to the bus, just as long as we don't get lost like you did!!

the ship's beach break is usually just bus to the beach and day pass. Ours was $49 or so---very reasonable, but it was from 7:30-11:30AM and we didn't want to go so early--what's the point? But, other beach breaks might be longer. good luck. The walk to the bus is a solid 15 minutes kinda uphill, winding narrow roads.

Thank you so much for all this great information! I'm trying to figure out which excursions to take from the ship and which things we can do on our own. The ship excursions can sure add up, so it sounds like this would be a great one to do on our own.

Beaches on the west side of the island tend to be better. However, taxis to get there are very expensive (over 100€). We rented a car from Europcar just outside the port, an easy walk. The Europcar service and car were fine. We paid 55€ all taxes included for a walk-up (no advance reservation). We went to the beach at Glyfada, which was really nice, beautiful bay, nice mix of locals and foreigners. Tip: Get there early (we did). Parking runs out quickly, and if you have to park up the hill it's quite a hike. Anyway, after the beach we toured the island a bit, went up to Palolokastritsa to enjoy the view from Bella Vista (there are also beaches at Palolokastritsa, but much smaller and much more crowded than Glyfada). Then back to Corfu city, where we had time to visit the archeological museum, the old fort, and shop in old town (Tip: parking by downtown / old fort is free during the attendant's "siesta", which is something like 2-5pm).

Note that there is (was) a local car rental company right inside the port terminal building. These guys were expensive (wanted 60€ plus tax) and took CASH ONLY. This is an absolute no-no for me when renting cars, because I insist on paying by credit card to get the insurance protection. Any car rental outfit that only takes cash is too shady for my liking. Europcar was great.

we also wanted to go over the West side. But, we were in port only until 4PM and were a bit nervous about renting a car. Others on CC meet were doing a private excursion and the local guide had recommended Dassia as a decent beach with easy public transport every 20 minutes (so no risk of missing the boat). This was also day 9 after 8 ports, so we were ready to do something easy and chill. I would go back again, as I just loved the atmosphere of the Chandris.

• 2 weeks later...
Beaches on the west side of the island tend to be better. However, taxis to get there are very expensive (over 100€). We rented a car from Europcar just outside the port, an easy walk. The Europcar service and car were fine. We paid 55€ all taxes included for a walk-up (no advance reservation). We went to the beach at Glyfada, which was really nice, beautiful bay, nice mix of locals and foreigners. Tip: Get there early (we did). Parking runs out quickly, and if you have to park up the hill it's quite a hike. Anyway, after the beach we toured the island a bit, went up to Palolokastritsa to enjoy the view from Bella Vista (there are also beaches at Palolokastritsa, but much smaller and much more crowded than Glyfada). Then back to Corfu city, where we had time to visit the archeological museum, the old fort, and shop in old town (Tip: parking by downtown / old fort is free during the attendant's "siesta", which is something like 2-5pm).

Note that there is (was) a local car rental company right inside the port terminal building. These guys were expensive (wanted 60€ plus tax) and took CASH ONLY. This is an absolute no-no for me when renting cars, because I insist on paying by credit card to get the insurance protection. Any car rental outfit that only takes cash is too shady for my liking. Europcar was great.

I agree, I have never heard of a car rental company wanting only cash - too iffy for me. Anyway I did a search for the Europcar in Corfu and two locations are listed besides the airport: Acharavi and Paleokastritsa. Do you happen to remember which one is close to the port? Many thanks.

We've been to the Chandris with the P&O excursion, and it was a very pleasant place....we've looked at it in brochures since, for a land holiday. Excellent swimming pool for use by the day bookers. The beach was clean, and the refreshments were positioned near- they also offered us a fruit drink later. It was all very efficient. Quite a few Brits staying at the hotel, who said they were having a lovely time!

There are 2 car rental places near the ship- one was in the terminal, and the other was immediately opposite. We might rent another time, as we love the west side of the island.

Jo.

• 1 month later...
I have the same questions as crafter188. How long is the drive to Glyfada and also Palolokastritsa. Appreciate any input

The roads are ok--not as good as France, but not as bad as Antigua--ok signs, too.

Can't answer on Glyfada (haven't been), but I seem to remember that Paleokastritsa was an easy 30 minute drive, maybe a bit less. It's a beautiful spot.

Driving/parking in the main towm Kerkira, is not pleasant, and kind of crazy--so ditch the car if you're going to town after the beach.

Enjoy Corfu!

Kevin

Mrwalleye .... Only just seen this but here is an answer to your question... Depending on how much time you have on Corfu here is how you get to Glyfada.... to get there you have to drive across Corfu town and past the airport and head for the Ropa valley road and up past the waterpark and then follow the signs to Glyfada.

Archived