Concordia - what I am saddest about...

italianfemmy

What I am the saddest about with this Concordia disaster is that nobody had to die. Nobody had to drown.

1/2 the ship still sits above the water line to this day.

The man who gave his life vest to his wife to save her life and drowned himself as a result could have just went to an upper deck and stayed there and been fine.

I imagine being his wife, seeing the top 1/2 of the ship remain out of the water and regretting the decesion to jump every day for the rest of my life.

I know that nobody had any way of knowing that the whole ship wasn't going to sink, taking them down with it, trapping them beneath the water level. But, I am so deeply saddened to know that absolutely nobody had to die.

I think that new safety procedures should be put into place and that passengers should be given the information that in the event of a listing ship, you are to proceed to the side of the ship that isn't going down and to make your way as high up as possible.

I grieve for these families day in and day out. My soul wasn't there but it feels as if it were. I've always said for years that if I am ever on a sinking ship, I won't jump until the last minute if jumping is my only option. I would go to the tip top point and wait it out until I was within 2-3 feet of being taken under and then, I would jump.

Doing this would give me more time to be rescued. Doing this would give me more time to calm down and not panic. Doing this would allow me a shorter jumping distance with less risk of a harsh impact in the water or on rocks, etc.

I would have been terrified to jump knowing we were close to land and surrounded by reef and rocks. Others were desperate to jump because they could see land and it made them feel safer and like they could make it.

Yet, 1/2 the ship remains dry and out of the water. And time cannot be rewound and decisions cannot be undone. And I just wish I could turn back time and tell everyone to go to the top and wait it out.... and that everyone could be safe. :(

You don't know what you would do until you are in that position. And you certainly don't know what the ship will do.

You are sad about the lives lost....but I'm happy about the lives not lost.

It could have been a lot worse.....(not defending the captain) but getting the ship close to shore probably saved a lot of people.

What I am the saddest about with this Concordia disaster is that nobody had to die. Nobody had to drown.

1/2 the ship still sits above the water line to this day.

The man who gave his life vest to his wife to save her life and drowned himself as a result could have just went to an upper deck and stayed there and been fine.

I imagine being his wife, seeing the top 1/2 of the ship remain out of the water and regretting the decesion to jump every day for the rest of my life.

I know that nobody had any way of knowing that the whole ship wasn't going to sink, taking them down with it, trapping them beneath the water level. But, I am so deeply saddened to know that absolutely nobody had to die.

I think that new safety procedures should be put into place and that passengers should be given the information that in the event of a listing ship, you are to proceed to the side of the ship that isn't going down and to make your way as high up as possible.

I grieve for these families day in and day out. My soul wasn't there but it feels as if it were. I've always said for years that if I am ever on a sinking ship, I won't jump until the last minute if jumping is my only option. I would go to the tip top point and wait it out until I was within 2-3 feet of being taken under and then, I would jump.

Doing this would give me more time to be rescued. Doing this would give me more time to calm down and not panic. Doing this would allow me a shorter jumping distance with less risk of a harsh impact in the water or on rocks, etc.

I would have been terrified to jump knowing we were close to land and surrounded by reef and rocks. Others were desperate to jump because they could see land and it made them feel safer and like they could make it.

Yet, 1/2 the ship remains dry and out of the water. And time cannot be rewound and decisions cannot be undone. And I just wish I could turn back time and tell everyone to go to the top and wait it out.... and that everyone could be safe. :(

Like you, I also think that no one has to die and no one has to drown. However, to me, the saddest is this didn't have to happen in the 1st place. After all, even the survivors didn't have to go through what they did.

You don't know what you would do until you are in that position. And you certainly don't know what the ship will do.

You are sad about the lives lost....but I'm happy about the lives not lost.

It could have been a lot worse.....(not defending the captain) but getting the ship close to shore probably saved a lot of people.

Not to be defensive but I actually do feel pretty strongly that I know what I would do. I've been put in life threatening positions when I was younger and I know my temperment. I remain calm and methodical, analytical, etc.

I don't think everyone else should be like me or can be like me. And I am not saying I think that way. You're right.. nobody can know 110% what they'll do depending on the circumstances. But it doesn't make the fact that people jumped when they didn't need to any less sad.

I am just saying that the situation makes me sad to think that those who died, did so senselessly since the ship remains 1/2 out of the water.

Yes, I am extremely happy the majority of lives were saved. That's awesome! But I cannot help but be sad that people jumped and died and didn't have to die. A few hours later, they'd have been rescued if they had chosen to stay up top. That is what makes me sad.

Not to be defensive but I actually do feel pretty strongly that I know what I would do. I've been put in life threatening positions when I was younger and I know my temperment. I remain calm and methodical, analytical, etc.

I don't think everyone else should be like me or can be like me. And I am not saying I think that way. You're right.. nobody can know 110% what they'll do depending on the circumstances. But it doesn't make the fact that people jumped when they didn't need to any less sad.

I am just saying that the situation makes me sad to think that those who died, did so senselessly since the ship remains 1/2 out of the water.

Yes, I am extremely happy the majority of lives were saved. That's awesome! But I cannot help but be sad that people jumped and died and didn't have to die. A few hours later, they'd have been rescued if they had chosen to stay up top. That is what makes me sad.

But they didn't know that the ship would remain half above water.....

Hindsight...always 20/20

The captain (again not to defend him) I'm sure thought that in an emergency he would remain cool, calm and collected....and heroic.

We see how that went.

The whole think is sad...because it was just poor judgment on the captains part. Even if he was commanded to do something stupid...Costa must have thought he was capable of using his skills and technology to do it safely.

But they didn't know that the ship would remain half above water.....

Hindsight...always 20/20

The captain (again not to defend him) I'm sure thought that in an emergency he would remain cool, calm and collected....and heroic.

We see how that went.

The whole think is sad...because it was just poor judgment on the captains part. Even if he was commanded to do something stupid...Costa must have thought he was capable of using his skills and technology to do it safely.

You're right.. they didn't know it would stay above water. I mentioned that in my original post. That's part of what makes me so sick over it all and why I wish I could rewind time to let them know that it won't completely sink and to just stay at the top and wait. :-(

If the proof comes out and the captain is at fault, then I'll hop on that gravy boat. It's hard for me to prosecute someone without all of the facts. Not that I think he's innocent but I'd rather "know" before helping to tarnish his name.

If he is at fault, then to me that's the most angering part.

I still would feel the saddest part is that everyone could have survived. Their loved ones could be with them right now. It actually keeps me up at night. I can't stop reading the stories, hoping some of these people on the list will be found on land, safe.

I have heard many crew members say that todays ships cannot be sunk. What a lesson this has taught.

You are absolutely right, this incident was completely survivable. But to issue new general safety instructions now based on the specifics of this incident would be foolish and irresponsible, particularly before all the facts are known. The high side is where it is difficult to launch boats from, so if the ship does go down completely there is nowhere to go.

I do agree, don't jump until you have to. The ship should be the best life boat. In the immediate aftermath I was struck by an interview with a British couple who described seeing others jumping into the sea and a short while later they stepped in to a life boat and got to shore dry and uninjured.

Look at these new pictures - arguably the safer side even on Concordia would have been the low (starboard) side, where all the boats were able to be launched and from where it should have been easy to step into them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091752/Costa-Concordia-pictures-lifeboats-fleeing-like-scene-Titanic.html

This puts it over the top, You won't have to deal with me anymore in this conversation.

I am confused? I didn't mean that the people who jumped had no sense. What I meant was in the context of "innocent bystanders senselessly killed".

Like, what guts me is knowing that half the ship remains dry and out of the water and it was unneccessary for people to jump. But with land so close by, and the thought of a sinking ship and death in their minds, their survival instincts kicked in and they jumped. They didn't know the ship wouldn't fully sink. So they took their lives into their own hands. I don't think they were stupid for that. In fact, I think it would take tremendous courage and bravery to jump into the water.

I just wish there had been some magical message to everyone telling them not to jump, to go to the top, that the ship wouldn't sink.. that they would be safe if they waited up top. That's all.

I am confused? I didn't mean that the people who jumped had no sense. What I meant was in the context of "innocent bystanders senselessly killed".

Like, what guts me is knowing that half the ship remains dry and out of the water and it was unneccessary for people to jump. But with land so close by, and the thought of a sinking ship and death in their minds, their survival instincts kicked in and they jumped. They didn't know the ship wouldn't fully sink. So they took their lives into their own hands. I don't think they were stupid for that. In fact, I think it would take tremendous courage and bravery to jump into the water.

I just wish there had been some magical message to everyone telling them not to jump, to go to the top, that the ship wouldn't sink.. that they would be safe if they waited up top. That's all.

Ok, I too some deep breaths. Perhaps English is not your 1st language. For that, I give you a lot of credit for posting in English. I will never be able to post anything in Italian. Your sentence that upset me said people who died did so senselessly, like they were stupid.

Ok, I too some deep breaths. Perhaps English is not your 1st language. For that, I give you a lot of credit for posting in English. I will never be able to post anything in Italian.

Haha, I have lived in the U.S. my entire life. English is my primary language although I am Italian. The word "senseless" has many defintiions of which my intended definition was not to call the people that jumped senseless but that it wound up being unneccessary for them to have jumped. Obviously, they didn't know this when they did. They were just trying to survive.

Haha, I have lived in the U.S. my entire life. English is my primary language although I am Italian. The word "senseless" has many defintiions of which my intended definition was not to call the people that jumped senseless but that it wound up being unneccessary for them to have jumped. Obviously, they didn't know this when they did. They were just trying to survive.

Senseless = unneccessary? I will give you a benefit of a doubt. Ok, then how did you conclude the difference between being alive and or not is whether to jump or not? Were the Korean couple in that position?

Ok, then how did you conclude the difference between being alive and death is whether to jump or not? Were the Korean couple in that position?

Because, hindsight is 20/20. We know the ship is 1/2 out of the water still. If they hadn't jumped but instead had went to the top of the ship, they would have been rescued by helicopters after the break of dawn when rescuers were on site.

They didn't know the ship would not fully sink. That is what makes it so sad... the not knowing... the thinking you're about to sink fully.... the not wanting to drown... the jumping into ice cold water trying to save yourself, having no idea that the ship isn't going to sink.

Because, hindsight is 20/20. We know the ship is 1/2 out of the water still. If they hadn't jumped but instead had went to the top of the ship, they would have been rescued by helicopters after the break of dawn when rescuers were on site.

They didn't know the ship would not fully sink. That is what makes it so sad... the not knowing... the thinking you're about to sink fully.... the not wanting to drown... the jumping into ice cold water trying to save yourself, having no idea that the ship isn't going to sink.

I don't believe this was what happened to the Korean couple. I used them as an example because they were found alive so can live and tell about it.

Anyway, you initially raise you points, only to be explained later that hindsight is 20/20, and now you are telling me about it. I have a headache. Over and Out.

I've always said for years that if I am ever on a sinking ship, I won't jump until the last minute if jumping is my only option. I would go to the tip top point and wait it out until I was within 2-3 feet of being taken under and then, I would jump.

If you did that then you would be sucked down with the sinking ship....whirlpool effect. Hate to say it, but you need to do all you can to get off a sinking ship as soon as possible.

If you did that then you would be sucked down with the sinking ship....whirlpool effect. Hate to say it, but you need to do all you can to get off a sinking ship as soon as possible.

In this case, it would have saved my life. I'm not a strong swimmer and I get cold and start shivering in the winter. (I live in Florida so that's sad. Lol). I'm fine with jumping off something with a parachute or cord attached but jumping from several stories high into rock filled water would most likely freeze me in my place. I'd take my chances with going when she ship was nearing going down. I think this is what makes the world interesting. We are all wired so vastly different from each other.

Anyway it's the image I see every time I see the concordia is of a half dry ship and lives that could have been saved if only they'd known she wouldn't fully sink. That's all. It just saddens me.

In this case, it would have saved my life. I'm not a strong swimmer and I get cold and start shivering in the winter. (I live in Florida so that's sad. Lol). I'm fine with jumping off something with a parachute or cord attached but jumping from several stories high into rock filled water would most likely freeze me in my place. I'd take my chances with going when she ship was nearing going down. I think this is what makes the world interesting. We are all wired so vastly different from each other.

But you were so quick to judge the decision of others!

Keep this in the back of your mind: if such misfortune happened that you stayed on a sinking ship and got sucked into the whirlpool, there might be another equally judgemental person who felt your death were totally senseless and unnecessary, only due to your refusal to jump when you could.

Sigh. Perhaps there's a language barrier here. Just because I said I think I would have done things differently doesn't mean I'm judging those that jumped. I really don't even begin to understand how that was read into from what I said.

I posted this because images of a half dry ship haunt me because if everyone had known the ship wouldn't fully sink, they may have chosen not to jump and more might have survived. This was all posted as hypothegical idealism. What I wish could have happened.

I don't judge anyone that jumped! I have no idea where this came from but I recall saying those that jumped were brave and courageous to do so. Something is lost in translation here. :-(. Maybe my choice of wording somehow conveyed a different message but in no way am I judging anyone for doing what they thought best to save their own lives.

I also said this in other posts. That "common" sence wasnt used by some people. It took a couple hours for the ship to get where its at now. When you notice a "heavy list" that isnt normal and it it dosnt recover, that is when you get a life jacket and things you will need to get home with and get your butt up on top OUTSIDE where you wont get trapped below decks from water. Once your outside and see land 100 yrds away, you know pretty much that the ship isnt going to sink that much. It will be on the bottom before everything goes under. Am I going to be in my cabin or interior spaces when i see the walls leaning 30-40 deg?... Nope.. Im going topside.. Even if the ship does sink. im going to stay on it untill I cant stay no more. It will drop below me and that is it. Yes, i may get sucked under a few feet, but i will surely pop back up in a few seconds because Im wearing a life jacket.. Im sure some of those people lost wernt able to help themselves without others due to the situation. Im sure they would of made it if they got topside before things got worse. That goes back to the "walls leaning".. Are you going to stay in bed when the ship is at a 45 deg angle?.. I dont think so.

What killed these unfortunate people is being too low on a ship that was taking water and by the time they tried to go up (as I'm sure many did) it was entirely impossible, too many loose things in the way, nowhere to grab on to. Doesn't help that the captain and command crew were not straight about the gravity of the situation. Call it denial or whatever, they knew they were sinking and didn't inform passengers or staff.

What I don't understand is why they put muster stations in the main theater on Carnival. That's deck 3. I'm quite sure I would not go down into the ship if there was an actual emergency. I'd be looking for a life jacket and open deck, preferably open deck without chairs and tables that will slam into me.

I don't know that the cause of death of those that died have been published yet. Some may not have died from drowning. When it rolled on to its side there may have been some that were hit by falling things or they may have fallen quite a distance themselves and were injured/knocked out. It must have been horrendous in there at that point. :(

Maybe my choice of wording somehow conveyed a different message but in no way am I judging anyone for doing what they thought best to save their own lives.

This is your conclusion on your opening post:

I just wish I could turn back time and tell everyone to go to the top and wait it out.... and that everyone could be safe.

Perhaps not exactly judgmental. But you think your personal bias (not wishing to jump) is the best decision for ALL, based on one isolated situation.

While in different situation, it could have been the wrong decision but you would have wish everyone acted the same way you would...

Archived