Altlun Ha-which to choose

marshhawk

Basically it has come to this-we want to see Altun Ha-it will be hot-early September-and probably buggy too-but do we want to just take the bus from town, or do we want to include the river Wallace portion? Our last trip to Belize we went to Goff's caye, and it saddens me no end that that part of paradise will not be part of our excursions, because we decided to try something new for each port that we are returning to. So this time we are working on getting educated, so which would you choose-or which have you done? Bus or boat-7 hours or 4...thanks

We just did the ruins and river and it was hot and steamy and we went in Jan. If it were me I would just do the ruins and get there in the air conditioned bus.

It was a really long day. The time listed was 5.5 hours and it turned into closer to 7.

Kris

Well, I'm not sure about the boat, or the ship's tour, but I can't imagine it taking 5 1/2 hours to see Altun Ha. We went in January and the weather was beautiful. I've been to Belize in August as well, for more than a week and while it was hot, it wasn't unbearable.

On our last cruise we did an independent tour to Altun Ha and the Baboon Sanctuary with Nacho and Cynthia. We were through both before lunch time. So, 5 1/2 hours for Altun Ha seems like a lot. Maybe through the cruise ship it would be longer with more people? Being a private tour, we were in an a/c van, however we didn't need the a/c most of the day since it was cool out. We had a nice tour of the countryside on the way to the ruins. The site is relatively small, but Nacho gives a great history of the ruins. There are a few pyramids you can climb. We were there for a good amount of time. As we were leaving, the tour buses were just rolling in. We were the first people there.

When we left, we drove to the Community Baboon Sanctuary, which is in a little village and they protect the Howler Monkeys there. That was fascinating. We spent about 45 minutes or so there.

Then we had lunch.

I was considering the boat tour to Altun Ha or Lamanai privately before finding this independent tour. I liked the variety offered with this and thought my daughter, who is 10, would like it. So we chose it over the boat tour.

If I had to choose between the bus or the boat, I'd pick the boat to get to Altun Ha. It would make getting there part of the adventure of the day.

Where did you book your excursions? My husband and I are going on our first cruise and are so unsure of what the best thing to do in Belize would be?

The monkeys sound neat, what was that called? How did you find info?

Where did you book your excursions? My husband and I are going on our first cruise and are so unsure of what the best thing to do in Belize would be?

The monkeys sound neat, what was that called? How did you find info?

If you google Nacho and Cynthia excursions in Belize they offer several independent tours. We did their Altun Ha and Baboon Sanctuary combo tour. They were very professional and the tour was done at our pace since it was private! It was my parents, myself and my daughter who is 10 yrs old. Nacho (his name is actually Ignacio) called me before I booked the tour so we could go over the details, which I thought was really nice. Of all the tours we went on in the different ports, they were by far the best guides we had.

I have heard great things about Nacho & Cynthia also--If I just browse w/ NCQ will I find them?

If you google Nacho and Cynthia Belize tours or NCQ tours Belize you will find them. Cynthia is Nacho's wife and she drives the van, Nacho is the guide. Thier prices are very reasonable and they are both from Belize so they really know the country. They kept the rides from location to location interesting with stories and even with some brain teasers for my daughter, which we all got involved in! Very friendly people and the tour was totally at our pace.

If you google Nacho and Cynthia Belize tours or NCQ tours Belize you will find them. Cynthia is Nacho's wife and she drives the van, Nacho is the guide. Thier prices are very reasonable and they are both from Belize so they really know the country. They kept the rides from location to location interesting with stories and even with some brain teasers for my daughter, which we all got involved in! Very friendly people and the tour was totally at our pace.

Thank you for this info, I emailed them today. I was amazed that less than 1/2 later I got his phone call. Very nice person to talk with. Our cruise isn't until Nov, but heard if you want Nacho & Cynthia to book very early. This tour sounds wonderful- we will do Altun Ha combined w/ baboon sanctuary as Nacho recommended. Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Is $80 to see Altun Ha and Baboon sanctuary reasonable??? This price sounds a little high to me.

Is $80 to see Altun Ha and Baboon sanctuary reasonable??? This price sounds a little high to me.

Because there are only 2 of us, it will cost us $100. pp. If I get others to join from our roll call, it will be less. I feel having an expert for your personal guide is well worth $100 pp. It does also include lunch and your admittance fees. If you book a tour thru the cruiseline, it would be that much, if not more.

We booked this tour with NCL shore excursions and it was $59 per person, and usually the ship generated tours end up much more than private. I was concerned with getting back to the ship as it is a tender port. The trip is supposed to be only 4 hours, but you never know!:)

Archived