QM2 metal medallion

Cunard Cruiser

I see on the QM2 that under the observation deck there is a metal medallion of the Cunard insignia, the lion. I remember it was on the QE2 from the late 90’s to maybe a year ago and then disappeared. Now I know where it went. However, I was wondering why it was taken off QE2 and put on QM2.

Cheers

You're right, Cruise44, the red and yellow cast medallion of the "monkey wi' de' nut" was originally on the CUNARD PRINCESS. When she was sold by Cunard, Capt. Ronald Warwick, now Commodore Warwick, brought it over with him to the QE2. It was on the QE2 until Capt. Warwick had it removed from the QE2 for placement on the new QM2. I understand that a new one has been cast, and that it now resides where the original was on the QE2.

I am pleased to report having just come back from Southampton for the joint sailings of the Queens that they are both proundly wearing the Gold lion medallion , just below the bridge, according to cunard ledgend it is also know by some as as the 'munky and the nut'

all the best

Rob

1541988661_DSCN0778(2).JPG.1991bfc36398b67162f301da933422ef.JPG

1562124822_DSCN0783(2).JPG.690968373bef5222eee0c8ba4121acb2.JPG

Thanks Cool Cruiser. Stupid question - what does munky and teh nut mean?
The 'monkey and the nut' is the crew's irreverent name for the Cunard symbol of the 'Golden Lion' clutching (I think) a Globe (or possibly the sun)....hence the name of the Pub on the QE2/QM2 'Golden Lion'

Peter

The last time we sailed on QE2 we bought in a charity auction a set of Cunard dinner plates. (The auctioneer said one of them had been used by Princess Di but I think he was winding us up) They have the lion symbol in gold on the rim, and when we use them we always set this at the top LOL.

Don't remember seeing this on present day table ware, and wonder when the design was changed, and why.

David.

• 2 weeks later...

The two crests were removed from the Cunard Princess and the Cunard Countess before the vessels were sold. Both crests were put in storage on the QE2. Captain Warwick had the crest from the CP mounted on the QE2 on 01 September 1995 (see page 176 in the 3rd edition of Captain Warwick's book about the QE2) The crest was removed when Cunard changed their logo to the one currently in use. Before he was withdrawn from the QE2, Captain Warwick has one of the crests sent over to France and it was put in storage on the ship. Dring September 2004 the crest was mounted on Deck 13 by the splash pool.

In January of this year, the management approved the relocation of the crest on the bridge front and it was mounted on 16 February while the ship was docked at St Kitts.

At about the same time and prior to the QE2 and QM2 meeting up with each other at Southampton on 16 April, the other crest was mounted on QE2's bridge front.

Archived