Should I go into New Orleans early?

munchkin002

Thinking about booking the star in November out of New Orleans. Was thinking about flying in on friday to "see the sights" before our sunday embarkation. Have 2 boys, teen and preteen coming with us. For those of you who have been there, is it worth extending our trip to see New Orleans?

Thanks for you input!:)

Of Course get there Early and bring your sons to the Red Light District and make sure they get plenty of beads....:eek::eek::eek:...Just Kidding......You'll have a blast....Have Fun and Enjoy Your Cruise..

LaCal is joking, of course - there is no "red light" district in New Orleans anymore, and the French Quarter is much more than just one street with a lot of bars and drunk college kids.

But New Orleans as a whole is more than the French Quarter too. There's the Garden District, with it's beautiful homes; the streetcars; a beautiful park & zoo; the Mississippi water front, with the Mardi Gras museum; Algiers across the river (cute ferry boat ride); Cemetery tours (yes, really...very interesting and cool for the kids); the Natchez steamboat; the Aquarium; the plantations down river...on and on.

You get all of that plus history, great food, and wonderful music - what's not to like?

New Orleans (if you couldn't tell) is one of our favorite destinations, and we've visited often. Do some research online, and definitely plan on spending a few extra days before your cruise. I'm betting you'll want to come back again.

Definitely go a day or so early! I am already booked on the November 4th Star sailing from NOLA.

This time I will be arriving on Saturday, but have been to NOLA on weekend trips, etc...to see the sights.

A walk through the quarter is fun during the day, or early evening IF you stay together as a group. You should try to go to the French Market, Cafe DuMonde, possibly the Aquarium of the Americas...we did that this past year. Ride the streetcar(s), for a view of pretty tree-lined streets and beautiful homes. There are lots to do to occupy a couple days of visiting before your cruise. Many places to eat good local food.

NOLA has a lot of culture that is unique, great artists and good music.

Enjoy!

Make your decision as soon as possible . We had the Spirit booked for last November, but before I could book our hotel room in New Orleans, the Saint's home football game schedule was announced and of course, there was a home game the weekend we planned on visiting. The hotel rates jumped sky high overnight on this news. We could not find anything within our budget and had to change our cruise plans. So, get something locked in now if you plan to stay in New Orleans. You can always cancel the hotel if your plans change.

Archived