Onboard Tipping

sarahscottiedog

Please forgive me, as Im sure it has been asked lots of times before. I am travelling on NCL for the 1st time next month and when booking the cruise we decided not to prepay our gratuities. I have now read in the brochure that $12pppd is added to your onboard account.

Does anyone know if you can stop this being added daily ? and tip to the people you want to at the end of your cruise ??

Thanks for your help

This topic is very common.

Here is the explanation from the NCL wbsite (FAQs);

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Because your restaurant servers will probably change at every meal, along with the buffet staff, it is very difficult to "tip" at the end of the cruise for many. This service charge goes in to an employee incentive pot that is influenced by comment cards by passengers, seniority, peer and managers reviews. You can "tip" above the daily service charge if you like.

If you somehow get the service charges credited, you will have to name those staff who caused the problems, and all cash tips given to anyone on board by you must be surrendered by those receiving them.

Please forgive me, as Im sure it has been asked lots of times before. I am travelling on NCL for the 1st time next month and when booking the cruise we decided not to prepay our gratuities. I have now read in the brochure that $12pppd is added to your onboard account.

Does anyone know if you can stop this being added daily ? and tip to the people you want to at the end of your cruise ??

Thanks for your help

Yes, you can certainly do that. It's your money and your choice.

I just got off the Jewel today. I don't pre-pay, I have it added to my on-board charge account that you set up during check in.

That being said, you don't see the charge until 4AM on the last night on the ship when they leave the bill at your cabin door. Then they charge the total amount of your charge account, which may include the automatic tipping, bingo cards, drinks, specialty restaurants, items you purchased in the shops and any excursions you signed up for.

Unless I misunderstand something, the daily charge is really an internal charge to your ship's account. It's not like NCL is charging your bank or credit card $12 on each individual day of your cruise, they zap it all at one time when you check out, just like a hotel does.

I just got off the Jewel today. I don't pre-pay, I have it added to my on-board charge account that you set up during check in.

That being said, you don't see the charge until 4AM on the last night on the ship when they leave the bill at your cabin door. Then they charge the total amount of your charge account, which may include the automatic tipping, bingo cards, drinks, specialty restaurants, items you purchased in the shops and any excursions you signed up for.

Unless I misunderstand something, the daily charge is really an internal charge to your ship's account. It's not like NCL is charging your bank or credit card $12 on each individual day of your cruise, they zap it all at one time when you check out, just like a hotel does.

Correct. It charges out at the end of the trip.

I'm going on the Norwegian Jade in 4 weeks time. I thought that you could go to guest relations at the beginning of the cruise and say that you are n to pay the gratuities at the level stated ie pay a reduced gratuity. I have done this on my last 2 cruises with MSC?

Why would you do this?

Why do you think you should pay less than others?

Sorry I already took the bait and posted before I read this. My bad.

I'm going on the Norwegian Jade in 4 weeks time. I thought that you could go to guest relations at the beginning of the cruise and say that you are n to pay the gratuities at the level stated ie pay a reduced gratuity. I have done this on my last 2 cruises with MSC?

Archived