All things Oasis of the Seas!!!!!

Bogos22

:D I saw that Explorer and Mariner have this type of thread going so I decided to start one for Oasis. So lets here from all you cruisers. Past cruisers, cruisers to be, present cruisers, lets here your stories, ideas, questions, comments, and share those pictures people!!! I hope everyone enjoyes!!!! :)

My second ever cruise was this past Sept on Oasis. I LOVED everything about the ship and exursions. My mouth dropped when we entered the ship. We had a balcony on deck 10 and when we came home we booked the W Caribbean with same cabin. The ship never seemed crowded. Loved the Solarium for sunning and lunch and dinner. We dined at Giovanni's and 150 Central. I loved the idea of many specialty restaurants as I think the MDR gets boring. In Nassau, we got off the ship briefly because we had been there many times before./ used the time to explore the ship. Excursions in St Martin and St Thomas were amazing and well worth the money (which were reasonable). The ship is so big that there were many things we missed and experiences we did not have. Hence, another booking. My only complaint was that I wish hairspray had moreevening performances. We missed the show as there were only two ( I think at night) and they were at 10:30. After a day of activity, I would have fallen asleep. There were one or two daytime performances but when I am cruising the Caribbean, I do not want to be in a dark theater during the day. The service was exceptional and very accomodating. LOVED the ship , excursions, staff, etc!

My first cruise ever was on Oasis December 2010. My second cruise was on Liberty of the Seas December 2011 and the entire time I compared Liberty to Oasis.I sail again on Oasis in December 2012 and I will be people watching from my Board Walk balcony, I love that ship. I probably will never try a ship smaller than the Freedom class simply because I like to people watch and have stuff to do, and the Liberty almost bored me so I am a bit leery about the smaller class. I love all the choices on board Oasis.I find myself watching her and Allure sailing in and out of Port Everglades on Saturday and Sunday via the live web cam.I also enjoy watching Liberty and Navigator of the Seas as well but its something about the Oasis sisters that is just awesome particularly when its dark and all of their lights are on.I may give in one day and try the Gator because I like watching how it sneaks out of port :cool::eek: via the web cam plus it has a nickname of Gator by the people watching her it appears. But I still have to get back on to the boat that hooked me which was Lady O. I LOVE that boat :D:D:D:p

My first cruise ever was on Oasis December 2010. My second cruise was on Liberty of the Seas December 2011 and the entire time I compared Liberty to Oasis.I sail again on Oasis in December 2012 and I will be people watching from my Board Walk balcony, I love that ship. I probably will never try a ship smaller than the Freedom class simply because I like to people watch and have stuff to do, and the Liberty almost bored me so I am a bit leery about the smaller class. I love all the choices on board Oasis.I find myself watching her and Allure sailing in and out of Port Everglades on Saturday and Sunday via the live web cam.I also enjoy watching Liberty and Navigator of the Seas as well but its something about the Oasis sisters that is just awesome particularly when its dark and all of their lights are on.I may give in one day and try the Gator because I like watching how it sneaks out of port :cool::eek: via the web cam plus it has a nickname of Gator by the people watching her it appears. But I still have to get back on to the boat that hooked me which was Lady O. I LOVE that boat :D:D:D:p

I could have written this!!!

There was, at one time a All Things Oasis Of The Seas thread. I started to look for it last night but there are too many pages on the search.

My favorite cruise so far. :D The ship was our destination. I wish they would bring the prices down a bit but since the Allure and Oasis are so popular, that will not happen.

While the earlier thread is great, no one planning a trip wants to wade through 8 pages of speculation about what Oasis WILL be...with over 2 years of sailings under her belt...time to have a thread about what is rather than what will be!

When I get some free time, and can kick the kids off the pc, I'll try to post some pictures.:D

While the earlier thread is great, no one planning a trip wants to wade through 8 pages of speculation about what Oasis WILL be...with over 2 years of sailings under her belt...time to have a thread about what is rather than what will be!

When I get some free time, and can kick the kids off the pc, I'll try to post some pictures.:D

When I was searching for the All things Oasis thread knowing there MUST be one out there for Oasis, I came across the one from years ago from before the innaugural sailing. Since I just can't get enough of Oasis waiting for our April sailing, I thought I would start a fresh thread. So glad y'all are enjoying it so far!

The good ones?

I, for one, will be following this thread, as we sail the Oasis in May! This will be our first cruise ever and we are both really excited about it! So please, bring on all the tips, pics and reviews!

Very interesting that you chose the Oasis for first cruise. One thing to keep in mind is that the Oasis really is different than any other ship. It is almost more of a moving resort than a cruise ship.

I think you could spend a week on the Oasis and not even know you were at sea. When you see it docked in port next to other ships you really see just how massive it is.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Oasis has a reserved ticketing system. About 60 days before your sailing you will want to go online and start booking show times. You can not guarantee you will get a seat if you just show up at theater. If you want to take full advantage of this ship, you need to do a little more planning than on a normal ship.

Anyway, I will try to find the link to my review with lots of pictures :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1330589

Oh, I missed yours while I was planning! Your girls are adorable!!

I have a couple of Embarkation Photos to share with tips:

Not a new tip...but these decks are a good spot for sail away...aft on Decks 11, 12, 14 both port and starboard side (you can see a couple of these are Aqua Theater suite balconies with the fancy furniture, the one above with the regular furniture is deck 11 one of the public balconies.

140588150.jpg

They have a great view of the AT and of the side of the ship too. If you go to the port side balcony as you are leaving Ft Lauderdale, you might catch a glimpse of this! Don't see a house with it's own Flowrider in the yard everyday!

140588030.jpg

I think I'll post my Oasis planning tips, if anyone is interested! But I'm getting the evil eye to get off the computer right now!

"I think you could spend a week on the Oasis and not even know you were at sea. When you see it docked in port next to other ships you really see just how massive it is."

I hope this shows up this was from my first cruise on Oasis December 18th 2010 sailing it appears I was on here the same time as knawest8 ..

this is also my first time trying to post a photo on here wish me luck.

Oasis was docked in Nassau next to Enchantment of the Seas ,Norwegian Gem,

Norwegian Sky, and Monarch of the Seas as you can see Lady O makes the others look like toy boats.

ps. Quote was posted by smoosh21 but the Quote failed credit him sorry :(

1012320913_TheOasisoftheSeas2010669inNassau.jpg.e654c8f1373fa38a577717c4949576d3.jpg

I saw on an Allure thread that there are ipod docking stations and speakers in the cabins. Does Oasis have the same? Love reading all the reviews over tha last few months. Thanks to you all!

Sadly, no...I think the whole ipod thing happened between the designs of these ships, so they put them on Allure. I found the very lowest shelves handy for storing my electronics while they charged, since the plug is under the vanity. It does require a bit of crawling on the floor to get that set up, and that can be an issue for those with mobility issues. Many have recommended bringing a travel power strip to place on the vanity top.

Very interesting that you chose the Oasis for first cruise. One thing to keep in mind is that the Oasis really is different than any other ship. It is almost more of a moving resort than a cruise ship.

I've always been interested in cruising, but just never got the opportunity to go. We were supposed to sail the Navigator years ago (I joined Cruise Critic in 2005!), but that trip fell flat. We've been on so many all-inclusive resorts since then, but what made us want to take a cruise again was the Mighty Ships special on the Discovery Channel that featured the Oasis. She looked beautiful and my husband and I looked at each other and said that's our next vacation.

Between my friends and other family members that have gone on Oasis, they say that we won't regret it. I'm sure they'll be right. When we're ready to sail again, hopefully the newer Sunshine class will be up and running, so I can get a taste of a smaller ship and it will still have the "newness" factor.

This is the process I used to plan my Oasis trip. I learned after sailing, that you could (especially if you don't enjoy to planning) come onboard without a single plan and still have the time of your life...but if you are a planner (and you might just be if you are reading an "Everything Oasis" thread!) you might like to know a method for sorting out all this great ship has to offer to make the most of your time, or to be sure you prioritize what is most important to you! So here is the step by step way I did my planning, this is just one woman's way...you may have your own or come across a better way!

Step 1 Read and research:

Read every review you can find, as well as the "live" threads that have been posted. Search for these under "Advanced Search" on CC. You will quickly recognize those that appeal to you and those that are written by folks who have little in common with you. Start cutting and pasting the best tips, ideas you find into document or print and put them in a folder. Especially pay attention the excursions, dining venues and shows that spark your interest.

Step 2 Collect all the helpful planning documents:

By the time you've read a bunch, you will have a good idea of what you might like to do. Go to RCL Website and download and print the latest "Showtimes at a Glance" (STAG) http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/showtimes/showtimes_OA.pdf and the included and extra charge dining venues, http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options and you can also search for the most recent MDR menus so you can decide which nights in the MDR you don't want to miss, and which you could skip for a specialty dining venue.

Next obtain the Cruise Compass for your itinerary (there are some recent ones posted on this thread in Post 18 Western and Post 22 Eastern) NOTE: for all these documents, its best to try to find one closest to the time and "type" of your cruise... some of the schedules will be different for holidays and peak vacation weeks, so the planning documents for these cruises will often be different than other times.

Step 3 Get your schedule started:

With these five documents ( Showtime's, Menus, list of dining venues, and Cruise Compass) start to create your schedule. You can use a spread sheet (I've attached a photo of mine as an example) or use a weekly calendar page, or just create a list by day. Using the "Showtimes at a Glance" (STAG) determine which shows and the times that appeal to you. If you have early or late dining, be sure to leave about 2 + hours to dine before a show, the STAG will tell you how long the show is so you will know how much time you need to see a show before dinner. If you have MTD, once those are in your schedule you can choose times to dine that work and jot those times on your schedule. After your regular meals and preferred shows are on the calendar, you can determine where to fit in your specialty dining (or you can do it the other way around if the dining is your top priority). You can also check the Cruise Compasses to see if there are activities that are "not to be missed" for you, such as a parade, or Quest, and be sure to jot those onto your schedule and make sure they don't conflict with your preferred dining and showtimes.

(an example of my Excel spreadsheet)

140779719.jpg

I am assuming here you are planning ahead, weeks or months before you can book your shows and meals. If you are within the window where the shows and meals are already available to book, you should probably use your "pre cruise planner" on line at RCL website, since some of your options may already be limited.

Step 4 Plan Excursions:

You can explore the "port" boards for the itinerary you are taking to research the excursions that sounded interesting to you from the reviews you've read. The website also lists all the excursions under "Ports of Call" Once you have an idea what you want to do in port, you can note these on your schedule. You may decide to book these independently or with RCL.

Step 5 Start booking!

When the schedule is more or less "filled out", you will be ready to book when the various items become available on your "Pre Cruise Planner" on the RCL website. When they become available varies wildly! It seems that the "Showtimes at a Glance" changes about quarterly, so for cruises at the end of that quarterly schedule you will probably see the shows available online to book as early as 100- 90 days. For those at the beginning of the quarterly schedule, they may not be available till closer to 60 days. Our cruise actually sailed before the "STAG" for our cruise was posted on the website...so don't wait for it to make your plan! Just use a recent one for the same itinerary. In general this is the order things seems to be available to book:

4- 6 + months before sailing : Spa, drink packages, gifts and possibly shore excursions and MTD reservations will be open

100-60 days before sailing: Shows and Specialty Dining venues

I wish that everything became available to book at the same time on the RCL website, but the reality is it shows up in bits and pieces over a period of weeks. I put a tickler in my online calendar to remind me to start looking around these dates; I'd check every few days and also followed my Roll Call so if anyone else saw them open and reported, I would know! This is why the schedule is so important! By having it all sketched out, as things are available to book, you can tick it off on your schedule and know you've got that piece settled. I booked everything I knew I wanted as soon as it was available. Even though that meant I made dining reservations before I could confirm my shows. I figured if I couldn't get the show I wanted, I could always change the dining time later, but the prime MTD reservations and Specialty dining times (think 7 to 8 PM) go quickly. Everything can be changed or cancelled with no charge (for items that have charges) until just before sailing (be sure to check each item you book to know exactly when you would have to cancel to receive a refund)

Step 6 Confirm it all close to sailing:

Check you schedule against the most recently posted Cruise Compass and STAG for your cruise to make sure that nothing major has changed. The only change we encountered was they moved the Quest night, so I had to change our Comedy Show. They were filled by that time and I changed it, as soon as we boarded at the Box Office in Studio B, no problem! Print a final copy of your schedule you made and the Pre Cruise Planner from the RCL website (this is your back up if for some reason your reservation doesn't show up once you are onboard.)

Step 7 Check your schedule, either on your own schedule or on your cabin tv every day while you are on the cruise:

I read so many reviews of people who said, "we missed that show even though we booked it, because we forgot which day it was!" My last piece of advice is that you don't have to do all or any of what you planned! Its your vacation, and planning ahead should make it more fun and relaxing...if that's not the case for you...bail on the schedule, get an umbrella drink and chill!

Archived