Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Different handwriting on the left and the right, as well. I can't read anything on the other side. It would help if we could make it bigger.

Open the link and then from your computer increase the zoom on the page.

I did that but still can't clearly make out the words tho that may be my vision issues. One word looks to be Captain.

Open the link and then from your computer increase the zoom on the page.

I did that but still can't clearly make out the words tho that may be my vision issues. One word looks to be Captain.

Thanks for this tip. When I zoomed in it seems to be the Italian translation of what she wrote on the right hand side. I think she was mixing up languages. She did say she spoke 5 but maybe did not write Italian well.

Thanks for this tip. When I zoomed in it seems to be the Italian translation of what she wrote on the right hand side. I think she was mixing up languages. She did say she spoke 5 but maybe did not write Italian well.

You're welcome.

I've been doing the same as you, comparing the 2 sides. I agree, it looks to be the same info.

Maybe someone has already mentioned this, but tomorrow evening (Sunday) on the National Geographic channel, there will be a documentary called "Italian Cruise Ship Disaster", the untold story.

Rick

Yes thanks. I was planning on sending a reminder tomorrow. But here it is:

National Geographic Channel (NGC) will premiere a documentary on the Costa Concordia disaster at 7 p.m. ET/PT Feb. 12. The story is told primarily by those who experienced it and will air again at 10 p.m. ET/PT Feb. 13. The one-hour show, titled “Italian Cruise Ship Disaster: The Untold Stories,” weaves together in-depth stories from passengers and staff on board as well as Coast Guard rescuers with home video and graphics to reconstruct the sinking of the ship near the island of Giglio in Italy.

[quote name='cruiserfanfromct']Thanks for this tip. When I zoomed in it seems to be the Italian translation of what she wrote on the right hand side. I think she was mixing up languages. She did say she spoke 5 but maybe did not write Italian well.[/quote]

I can't read much of it at all...it may be block letters but not very neat at all.

The one on the other side of #2...if we read it as valige, that is the plural of suitcase. But what's with the "ho" or "no" or "mo" before it? According to google translator "ho" is I, "no" is no and "mo" doesn't exist. If I put in "my suitcases", it suggests "le mie valigie"

The whole thing is highly confusing.

[quote name='Milaandra']I can't read much of it at all...it may be block letters but not very neat at all.

The one on the other side of #2...if we read it as valige, that is the plural of suitcase. But what's with the "ho" or "no" or "mo" before it? According to google translator "ho" is I, "no" is no and "mo" doesn't exist. If I put in "my suitcases", it suggests "le mie valigie"

The whole thing is highly confusing.[/QUOTE]I can't make out the first word either. You're right, valigie means suitcases (plural). Maybe she had more than one?

[quote name='cruiserfanfromct']I can't make out the first word either. You're right, valigie means suitcases (plural). Maybe she had more than one?[/quote]

It's the article that has me really confused.

I've decided to wait for our Italian friends. :) They may be able to make better sense of it. It's easier to read bad handwriting if you know what patterns to look for.

I mean, white jacket? What's with that? It must be a mistranslation. :p

Why didn't we see anyone cross over to the window in the video?

[quote name='Milaandra']It's the article that has me really confused.

I've decided to wait for our Italian friends. :) They may be able to make better sense of it. It's easier to read bad handwriting if you know what patterns to look for.

I mean, white jacket? What's with that? It must be a mistranslation. :p

Why didn't we see anyone cross over to the window in the video?[/QUOTE]Yes I suppose you're right - it's best not to jump to conclusions. Hopefully some native speakers will help us out. These hearings must be extremely difficult for those involved trying to piece together all the information. It's mind-boggling.

[quote name='cruiserfanfromct']I can't make out the first word either. You're right, valigie means suitcases (plural). Maybe she had more than one?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]If you recall when Domenica said she boarded (with her own ticket) her "suitcases" were taken to her room. Now that could be a suitcase and cosmetic case, 2 suitcases and cosmetic case. We don't know but she did speak of plural cases.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]In another interview and I don't remember which, she admitted that her cosmetic case was in his stateroom.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The big problem with her stories is how they change. From various interviews I have read so many things she has supposedly said. She started out as a woman defending the "man that shows her pictures of his little girl... now does that sound like a lover to you," "a brave man that saved many lives," another that has her saying, "I hate you. Be strong" after a visit to him in jail. Now it's, "he forced me to stay" when she wanted to leave because she was bored and "hungry."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Something happened between the time we've read that she was "in love," "fascinated," "attracted" at the beginning of this and where she is now. My guess would be the wife. ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Milaandra']It's the article that has me really confused.

[B]I mean, white jacket? What's with that? It must be a mistranslation. :p[/B]

Why didn't we see anyone cross over to the window in the video?[/QUOTE]

Romanian, again. Geaca alba = white jacket

[quote name='SomeBeach']Something happened between the time we've read that she was "in love," "fascinated," "attracted" at the beginning of this and where she is now. My guess would be the wife. ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Or perhaps, having her reputation attached to Captain Schettino's is something from which she has decided to distance herself.

[quote name='TheBestIsYetToCome']Or perhaps, having her reputation attached to Captain Schettino's is something from which she has decided to distance herself.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Very possible but the damage to her reputation is already done.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The possibility of having to testify in court under oath could be very persuasive too. Whatever she was getting out of her relationship with the Captain she can't get any longer. No sense in adding perjury to the list.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I just wonder when a gag order will be imposed on her as she seems to be turning into a key witness.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='TheBestIsYetToCome']Pozitia mea = my position, in Romanian.[/quote]

Could that be a "1" near the "x" outside the captain's cabin? It is not printed the same as in "1a" so I am confused.

It would be strange indeed if the person filming turned out to be Domnica Cemortan, especially in light of the way she tells passenger David Saba, in the video he posted on YouTube, that filming is not allowed.

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Very possible but the damage to her reputation is already done.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][B]The possibility of having to testify in court under oath could be very persuasive too. Whatever she was getting out of her relationship with the Captain she can't get any longer. No sense in adding perjury to the list.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I just wonder when a gag order will be imposed on her as she seems to be turning into a key witness.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Exactly. I'm guessing she wants out from under the bus....er, ship.

I'm stunned by how much information has been leaked and/or outright told to the press. The prosecutor is out there commenting all over the place. :eek:

[quote name='TheBestIsYetToCome']
I'm stunned by how much information has been leaked and/or outright told to the press. The prosecutor is out there commenting all over the place. :eek:[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I too am surprised by this.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Can one of our Italian friends possibly explain to us if all the leaks in information is common is such high profile cases like this. Or does it not matter much because (as I understand it) many of the findings are going before special maritime experts to determine the next phase of hearings.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

That's what I read on the left:

??? mia (my ???)
cabina capitano (captain's cabin)
mo valige (a little incorrect, in French is ma valise (my suitcase) in Italian should be mia valigia, mie valigie being the plural
giubbotto blu (blue coat)
per vedere per 5 secondi (to see for 5 seconds)

[quote name='Yaelie']I just got home and need to read all the news!

Another way to use vabbè which can be close to whatever is for example if someone starts telling me a super long story
"bla bla bla bla bla bla......"
then I say
"vabbè, get to the point!"[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That's how we use it - Italian being my 3rd
language but native to my husband and his clan.
Don't ask me to read anything - I couldn't read
Italian to save my life. Vabbuo.

Archived