Classic Antarctic-Feb.19

ttalbcr

We are booked on the Silver Explorer 11 day Antarctic cruise. First time on SS, looking forward to the small ship experience and of course are excited about experiencing the Antarctic! Interested in hearing from others on this cruise and would welcome any advise from others who have been to the Antarctic.:)

I just disembarked on Monday. We had a terrific Expedition Team, though three got off with us. The entire staff and crew were fabulous and did everything they could to make it a memorable trip for everyone on board. Will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

I just disembarked on Monday. We had a terrific Expedition Team, though three got off with us. The entire staff and crew were fabulous and did everything they could to make it a memorable trip for everyone on board. Will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Excited about our trip! Hope we have as good as weather! Wondering how strenous where the zodiac landings?

Excited about our trip! Hope we have as good as weather! Wondering how strenuous where the zodiac landings?

ttalbcr, After the first few times, the landings were fine. You just have to remember to face the front of the zodiac and swing your legs over the side. If unsteady on your feet, purchase trekking poles. Many people used them. You can walk as far as you want or sit close to the shore in most cases. So many of the animals live right where you land.

ttalbcr, After the first few times, the landings were fine. You just have to remember to face the front of the zodiac and swing your legs over the side. If unsteady on your feet, purchase trekking poles. Many people used them. You can walk as far as you want or sit close to the shore in most cases. So many of the animals live right where you land.

Taking our collapisible poles. Found your blog, really enjoyed your write-up and pictures!:)

Taking our collapisible poles. Found your blog, really enjoyed your write-up and pictures!:)

Ttalbcr,

We too are getting excited about the Feb 19 departure. We have our hiking poles.

Where can I find the blog of NZCruzQueen? Love to read it.

Deb

Beth

Thanks for your posts and I enjoyed Your blog. I have four questions regarding my packing dilemma. Going to Buenos Aires for a few days before and will need an array of warm weather clothes. It's a drag to need clothes for such disparate climates and I would like to cut back where I can. So, I have a couple of questions. Did you bring a street or ski jacket to wear when you didn't need the big bulky expedition parka, or did you need to wear the expedition parka when you went off ship? How dressy we're women at night, even Captains dinner? Would black gaberdine pants and a cashmere sweater be too casual? Last but not least did you have Internet service throughout. I don't want to promise consistent updates and photos to my kids if it won't be happening. Was there anything you wished you had but didn't. We're there plenty of pillows available for pillow hogs like me and my husband? How rough was the Drake? Whew...thanks! To all the rest of you adventurers, see you on the 19th!

Beth

Did you bring a street or ski jacket to wear when you didn't need the big bulky expedition parka, or did you need to wear the expedition parka when you went off ship?

How dressy we're women at night, even Captains dinner? Would black gaberdine pants and a cashmere sweater be too casual?

Last but not least did you have Internet service throughout. I don't want to promise consistent updates and photos to my kids if it won't be happening.

Was there anything you wished you had but didn't.

We're there plenty of pillows available for pillow hogs like me and my husband?

How rough was the Drake?

We didn't bring an additional jacket other than a very light raincoat. You certainly don't need it in BA, and in Antarctica we just wore the parka off the ship. I did see some others wearing other jackets so you're not required to wear the parka - but if you want to save room it's fine not to bring another heavy jacket.

You'd be fine with dress pants and a sweater. No ball gowns, cocktail dresses, or suits needed. I brought a tie and Chris brought a casual dress - but we would have been fine without them. Most nights, for me khakis and a button-down shirt or a sweater. Chris - nice pants and blouse or sweater; she did wear her casual dress to the Captain's dinner. Some wore polo shirts; we saw people in jeans.

Never used the internet.

We wished for more time! Didn't bring our hiking poles to Svalbard and missed them.

We had enough pillows - there are 4 or 5 in the room already, and they can bring more. If you're worried, request extra pillows on your passenger information form on the SS website.

The Drake is entirely unpredictable. Keep your fingers crossed. The conditions change by the day or even more frequently.

Hi npj57, So glad you enjoyed my blog and I do hope it was helpful. To answer your questions, HP & Chris did a great job with their reply. Here's my take.....

Did you bring a street or ski jacket to wear when you didn't need the big bulky expedition parka, or did you need to wear the expedition parka when you went off ship? I packed a large plastic bag in my suite case to pack some of my tops. I put my parka in it and was able to take a lot of the air out of the bag. It fit fine in my carry on along with more clothes. I was glad I packed that plastic bag.

How dressy we're women at night, even Captains dinner? Would black gaberdine pants and a cashmere sweater be too casual? Evening clothes was fairly casual. Your gaberdine pants and cashmere sweater will be fine for the dressier nights.

Last but not least did you have Internet service throughout. We did not go that far down the peninsula, only to the Le Maire Channel, and had only one area where we were told we may lose the Internet. It's expensive.

Was there anything you wished you had but didn't. I think I had packed well. Didn't miss anything, but had read a lot of packing lists.

We're there plenty of pillows available for pillow hogs like me and my husband? There were two on each twin bed along with a throw pillow. Here's a section of my blog regarding the Pillow Butler service on board ..... Going back to the cabin, Betty and I had a big giggle over the Pillow Butler flyer I found by my bed. Our Pillow Menu includes: the popular pillow, the prominent pillow, the pronounced pillow, the memory foam pillow, the buckwheat pillow, the body pillow, the aqua plush pillow, the Fairfax polyester pillow and the Tiara cottons and silks covers. Who knew there were so many to offer. We may call for the pillow butler just to see each variety! But we didn't

How rough was the Drake? For us it was "the lake." You just never know how it's going to be.

Really enjoyed your blog, Beth. We are going to the arctic on explorer this summer. Will bring our hiking poles and boots, but do we need to bring ski masks or do you think really good polarized sunglasses will be adequate? I will probably pack some cute dresses for evening, but does George need to bring a jacket? Usually on regent, he doesn't, but I still wear something from my huge assortment of cocktail dresses. So he would rather not bring a jacket unless required.

Rachel,Thanks for reading my blog. Really glad you enjoyed it. I bought the ski goggles for the wind on the zodiac rides. Didn't want to dry out my contact. Your polarized sunglasses should be ok. George won't need a jacket. Dinners are very casual. Most of the guys in our group wore khakis and a long sleeved shirt for dinner.

I will also be taking gabardine pants and sweaters to wear on Captain's nights, DH will be wearing collared longsleeve with vest, black pants.

Will be arriving in Buenos Aires day before cruise. We visited BA last Febraury for three days and really enjoyed the city.

Rachel,Thanks for reading my blog. Really glad you enjoyed it. I bought the ski goggles for the wind on the zodiac rides. Didn't want to dry out my contact. Your polarized sunglasses should be ok. George won't need a jacket. Dinners are very casual. Most of the guys in our group wore khakis and a long sleeved shirt for dinner.

Thanks Beth. George will be happy not bringing a jacket. I don't wear contacts, so that part is not an issue. I think we have pretty much everything except I need to get some new ski gloves. My old ones go pt up damp and molded.

Archived