Fram: time zone(s)

digitl

Ah, lucky you to have been to both the top & bottom of the world.

I didn't realize that about Frozen Planet having aired elsewhere already. You are so right that it was an odd decision to change the narrator. I couldn't place the voice when we watched the other day so I just looked it up and it's Alec Baldwin. Maybe they thought his voice would attract a big American audience but I don't think it added anything to the show & like I said was not even recognizable to me.

LOL - Frozen Planet was seen by the rest of the Planet 6 months ago !! US is very much behind. And yes the rest of the planet saw it as the film makers intended - with the professional commentary of the world reknowned Attenborough, not a has been actor who has never been to either part of the world and knows nothing about the wilderness or the wildlife !!

I recorded it all back in Oct/Nov when it aired here as my lovely icebreaker featured in many scenes.

Dig - glad your granddaughter was able to capture those moments off the webcam for you! Its fun seeing pics of yourself in that environment where you are not posing or even aware of the camera !! Some of me that were captured by fellow passengers without my knowledge are my most favourite from the trip.

And have fun sorting through all those photos and picking favourites (PS its impossible!!!). I have been home a couple of months now and nowhere close to having seen all of my 10,000 shots yet. Still plowing through them !

PP - Haha- yes - it's humbling to be so behind and in more ways than that. And the voice over by Baldwin is very odd - we were trying to figure out who it was and it sounded a lot like the old American DJ Kasey Kasem who was the voice of Scooby Doo if you've by chance heard of that cartoon. So having a Scooby Doo-esque voice "teaching" us was somewhat off-putting and made it seem to be not taken as seriously as it should've been. Like it was all a big car commercial or something - we were waiting for product placement of some sort.

Maybe I can Netflix the original series and watch it as it should be seen & heard.

LOL - Frozen Planet was seen by the rest of the Planet 6 months ago !! US is very much behind. And yes the rest of the planet saw it as the film makers intended - with the professional commentary of the world reknowned Attenborough, not a has been actor who has never been to either part of the world and knows nothing about the wilderness or the wildlife !!

Attenborough brings something special to the programmes he either appears in or voices over based on his reputation as a maker of natural history programmes over decades.

Why anyone would want to replace a commentary from Attenborough with one from an actor beats me. It appears to be a very 'parochial' approach.

Dig - glad your granddaughter was able to capture those moments off the webcam for you! Its fun seeing pics of yourself in that environment where you are not posing or even aware of the camera !! Some of me that were captured by fellow passengers without my knowledge are my most favourite from the trip.

Not only did my granddaughter see the webcam image, she even emailed them out to us, along with the images from Fram's blog, to make sure we saw them as soon as possible!

Photographs taken without the subject's knowledge often turn out well simply because, no matter how hard you try, you always 'pose' when you know the shutter is about to click!

And have fun sorting through all those photos and picking favourites (PS its impossible!!!). I have been home a couple of months now and nowhere close to having seen all of my 10,000 shots yet. Still plowing through them !

I've made a start, have got half way through, and the 'selection' folder holds ~10% of those reviewed. Nowhere near fierce enough in culling them! And I've not even looked at the videos...

Attenborough brings something special to the programmes he either appears in or voices over based on his reputation as a maker of natural history programmes over decades.

Why anyone would want to replace a commentary from Attenborough with one from an actor beats me. It appears to be a very 'parochial' approach.

Not only did my granddaughter see the webcam image, she even emailed them out to us, along with the images from Fram's blog, to make sure we saw them as soon as possible!

Photographs taken without the subject's knowledge often turn out well simply because, no matter how hard you try, you always 'pose' when you know the shutter is about to click!

I've made a start, have got half way through, and the 'selection' folder holds ~10% of those reviewed. Nowhere near fierce enough in culling them! And I've not even looked at the videos...

Funny you say "parochial" - my thought was that it was "patronising" - there seemed to be a distinct statement that Attenborough was a little too high brow for "American audiences" so I got the impression they were "dumbing down" the entire series - including the removal of the most high brow episode that dealt with climate change. So I gather they are airing 7 eps only. With some networks purchasing the 8th ep to be shown separately.

I told all my US pals to order the boxed set from the UK to see it how it was intended to be seen !!!

Thats brilliant that your daughter did that with the webcam shots!

Our ships photographer used one of the new "must have gadgets" Go Pro to take 35,000 shots and created them into a 7 minute time lapse video clip for us. We had no idea he was doing this and the teeny camera's had been attached to railings and antennas etc all over the ship. So when we were shown the clip on the final night it was hilarious - thousands of shots we had utterly no awareness of - and we are all calling out "oooh theres me". Its a priceless hilarious memory.

I did the opposite to you !

First thing I did was move all the photos of passengers and staff to an online album and sent the address to everyone so they could download photos of themselves.

Have only just now finished going through all my video clips (all 285 of them). Named them, removed the duds etc etc.

Now slooooooooowly going through the bazillion photos.:eek::eek:

Funny you say "parochial" - my thought was that it was "patronising"

Perhaps both then.

- there seemed to be a distinct statement that Attenborough was a little too high brow for "American audiences" so I got the impression they were "dumbing down" the entire series - including the removal of the most high brow episode that dealt with climate change. So I gather they are airing 7 eps only. With some networks purchasing the 8th ep to be shown separately.

They appear to have fixed something that wasn't broken. Especially if some networks are rejecting the fix.

I told all my US pals to order the boxed set from the UK to see it how it was intended to be seen !!!

That's a good workaround.

Have only just now finished going through all my video clips (all 285 of them). Named them, removed the duds etc etc.

Now slooooooooowly going through the bazillion photos.:eek::eek:

I'm working my way through the videos now and am giving myself time to forget why I chose some of the stills which should make culling them easier.

I've access to some webspace and have uploaded a few representative images for friends who were asking. It's at http://www.spinningweb.net/antarctica/ if you're interested.

I've access to some webspace and have uploaded a few representative images for friends who were asking. It's at http://www.spinningweb.net/antarctica/ if you're interested.

Great selection - no wonder you are having a hard time culling!! I particularly like the opening shot of the rippling water - very soothing.

Great selection - no wonder you are having a hard time culling!! I particularly like the opening shot of the rippling water - very soothing.

Thank you!

The first image is of Drake Lake, aka Drake Passage!

Archived