Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

The accident at a French airport that i think may have been Charles DeGaulle where two aircraft collided on the ground was casued by French pilots refusing to speak other than their own language!

After the accident All aircraft pilots were made to converse in English when landing and taking off as cheng says in his post.

Did you just compare some Hollywood fiction with reality? <shaking my head in serious disbelief>

Is there any better way to describe Schettino's behavior?:rolleyes:

I think the proper frame of reference would be to compare Capt. Schitinno to Italian President Berlosconi and his propensity for throwing "Bunga Bunga Parties" for his pals.

Did you just compare some Hollywood fiction with reality? <shaking my head in serious disbelief>

Hey I coulda gone with Hans Solo and Chewbacca:

Hans Solo: Chewy...hard to port NOW or we'll hit the death star

Chewbacca: GRRRRAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (translation - "huh"?) :D

Weekly report now available over at www.giglionews.it/ for 1st to 7th June. Good picture of another gash plate being dropped onto the hull.

Would appear that the final drilling for the legs for the final platform is now nearing completion.

Ken, fantastic picture of the 2 sponsons last week! Any more from where that came from?!

CTH

Ken' date=' I swear those things look like something out of Star Wars!:D

AKK[/quote']

They sure are strange looking. I sure hope all the engineering that went to designing them works when the parbuckling phase begins.

One of the first things they did was to secure the wreck from slipping down into deeper waters (the holdback system). The last weekly report talks about removing hydraulic jacks from anchor blocks.

Provided I translated correctly, I wonder, isn't this a risky phase? If we think worst possible case, what could happen? CC could move towards the installed platforms, or onto the underwater supports. Maybe the initial danger ain't no more.

Apologies if this has already been posted here -- I searched using a couple of obvious terms, didn't find it. I'm not going to read back through 169 pages!!!

This is a Youtube video of a couple of tiny "quadcopters," with video cameras, circling and approaching the Concordia. Pretty cool stuff.

The latest progress report now indicates that P1, 2, 14 and 15 (out of 15) will be installed after the parbuckling.

Next sponsons to be installed this week from Thursday will be P9 and P12, left and right of the already installed P10 and P11. Expect deliveries of stuff on site, something to see and watch.

The latest progress report now indicates that P1, 2, 14 and 15 (out of 15) will be installed after the parbuckling.

Next sponsons to be installed this week from Thursday will be P9 and P12, left and right of the already installed P10 and P11. Expect deliveries of stuff on site, something to see and watch.

Noticed that about the sponsons a week or 2 ago when I looked on the parbuckling site.

Watching the last big platform, number 6, coming in now (Sunday pm).

Looks like the final platform no.6 is now finally being moved into position under the Micoperi 30 crane, ready for lowering down to the seabed. (Tuesday pm)

That looks to be large platform #3.

Sorry, yes, final large platform no.3!

Looking forward to hopefully seeing more sponson activity later this week.

MV Svenja was still in Rotterdam as of yesterday, so we'll see soon enough whether she will be back on the job or whether another option is to be used.

The note of Costa Crociere -Titan Consortium technicians-Micoperi confirm that vertical restructuring of Concord, the so-called "parbuckling" can take place by the end of summer 2013-end of August/beginning of September. I informed the Deputy Commissioner for the emergency for the sinking of the Costa Concordia, prefect Franco Gabrielli, who today, in the presence of Mayor Sergio Ortelli, met the people of Isola del Giglio with the Centre's President Maria Sargentini, Costa Cruises and the Titan-Micoperi Consortium, to provide an update on the progress of the work of removing the wreck of the Costa Concordia. The technical details will be presented to the authorities for the necessary approvals.

Straightening of the wreck will allow you to verify the currently submerged and therefore inaccessible, to restore and repair and, in General, will make possible a technical assessment on the overall condition of the ship in sight of her rigalleggiamento and further transport. Following the completion of this assessment it will be possible to determine with precision the timing of next steps.

The timing of the parbuckling will also allow not to interfere with the tourism activities of the summer season.

Meanwhile, the Gang began placing the last of the six diving platforms to ensure the safety of the wreck support after rotation in vertical alignment. The platform weighs about 1,000 tons, measures 32 meters long and 22 meters in height, and is supported by 5 major pillars (over 1.5 meters in diameter) included in the granite sea bed to a depth of about 10 metres.

At the same time continuing the installation of removable bags filled with a special mortar needed to complete the artificial seabed which will set the wreck.

Also have already been placed, welded and fixed two floating bodies emerged side of the ship; before rolling up install other remain 9. Caissons, built by Fincantieri, are made of steel and their dimensions are 10.5 meters to 11.5 metres, for 20 or 30 feet tall. To be installed other parbuckling 4 boxes to arrive at total of 15. As A result of righting the ship will follow the installation of the other 15 bodies straight side. The installation of caissons 30 will allow the flotation of the wreck.

The wreck removal project Concordia is an engineering and technical operations unique in its kind and extremely complex, a naval rescue operation for which they have been mobilized the best global expertise with cutting-edge technologies. The operations are continuing unabated with approximately 500 employees and 30 naval transport engaged on a daily basis, 24 hours on 24, 7 days on 7.

http://www.giglionews.it/2013062559789/news/isola-del-giglio/qla-concordia-sara-raddrizzata-a-settembreq.html#addcomments