Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I will be ready for another one Micki before they find someone who is capable of making a decision. It really is making the Italians look rather silly.

As I read the report it seems to they have dismissed Genoa as a possible venue but will go and look at Piombino as a possibility.

They are running out of time for this year. Presumably they wont refloat until a destination is decided and they will just leave her on the platform.

This might come as a bit of a surprise to us all but the decision on CC final port of call appears to have been put off again.

I know we will all be shocked by the news but I guess we will have to live with it.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/25/rimozione-concordia-la-decisione-passa-al-governo/

If this keeps up the wingnut might turn out to be right. Costa will be so fed up that as soon as Concordia is in deep water, they'll open the valves and watch their troubles sink out of sight.

If this keeps up the wingnut might turn out to be right. Costa will be so fed up that as soon as Concordia is in deep water, they'll open the valves and watch their troubles sink out of sight.

At this point I wouldn't blame Costa. It is getting to be a bunch of silliness.

My only concern and I don't even know how valid it is now, is the missing man. Trying to be respectful but I tend to think his body was washed away because it surely would have been found by now if it was on the ship. However one has to wonder if his family feels that he may still be found once the ship is being dismantled. It's hard to forget his brother sitting vigil on the rocks, waiting.

Your so right SB.

I suppose that there is a chance that his remains could be in the lower decks on the starboard side that has been underwater from that fateful night.

If his cabin was in that area then its likely that it hasn't been searched and it will only be on the dismantle that he may be found.

I agree his brother waiting is so sad and for him it would mean so much to be able to take his brother home for a proper funeral.

According to the German press release 17 out of 19 involved authorities gave their o.k. for a transport to Genoa on that conference in Rome. Piombino is no alternative due to the fact they first have to deepen the harbor there. The Concordia is supposed to be ready for her final voyage in three weeks. The exact date is not fixed yet as it´s weather relating.

steamboats

Great picture Luisrp! As I watch now it looks like they are getting ready to install P14 & 15.

I've often thought this tbh, and am half expecting a news bulletin saying they 'lost' her on the way to Genoa

I think the damage to the reputation of Titan and Micoperi if she "accidently" sank would be colossus and they wouldn't want that. Not sure what influence Costa has anymore regarding CC.

The Giglio News site doesn't seem to be working on mine this morning. Anyone else having problems.

According to the German press release 17 out of 19 involved authorities gave their o.k. for a transport to Genoa on that conference in Rome. Piombino is no alternative due to the fact they first have to deepen the harbor there. The Concordia is supposed to be ready for her final voyage in three weeks. The exact date is not fixed yet as it´s weather relating.

steamboats

Carmen, thanks. If true, there were 2 holdouts but more than a majority to decide where CC would go. They'll still drag it out. I think it has become an art form for them. :rolleyes:

Weather is the one thing they can't control.

I think the damage to the reputation of Titan and Micoperi if she "accidently" sank would be colossus and they wouldn't want that. Not sure what influence Costa has anymore regarding CC.

Exactly! T & M will do everything in their power to get that ship where it needs to go. It's a job not without risk but they will do all they can to minimize that risk.

A question to our Knowledgeable Ones. ( I exclude your wingnut BE)

How long will the refloat take from when they start draining/pressurising the sponsons to when she is ready to move away please.

The figure I seem to remember from a press release somewhere was 2 days for the refloat. I'm sure they want to take it slow to make sure the ship remains stable as they bring it off the bottom. I don't know how many more days they will need to make preparations for towing after she is floated.

Edited by Bearded Engineer

I think there is a possibility that TM will speed up the work in case a decision is made by Italy and they can be afloat and on their way before the Italians can change their minds. There seems to be a hint in The Parbuckle report that this may happen when they say that they can be ready to go in 3 weeks which is another couple of days off the 18th July start date. This week should be interesting, I notice that P15 on a pontoon is still near CC and should be ready to install on Saturday and Mario B which is in Livorno which I think is loading P! & P2 may well set out on Sunday ready to unload P2 on Monday and P1 on Wednesday.

That will leave 2 weeks to test out everything.

Is the idea still to use Dockwise Vanguard? If yes, Dockwise was last seen (on AIS) near Singapore (17 June). Supposedly heading to Firth of Forth (Scotland) with an ETA 28 July.

If applicable, how long does it take her to come to Giglio?

Edited by Mike.Minh

Is the idea still to use Dockwise Vanguard? If yes, Dockwise was last seen (on AIS) near Singapore (17 June). Supposedly heading to Firth of Forth (Scotland) with an ETA 28 July.

If applicable, how long does it take her to come to Giglio?

I thought the Dockwise Vanguard option was only being considered if the CC was going to be scrapped in a far off destination like Turkey.

Meeting in Giglio:

«Cannot bear another winter. Should go away as soon as possible. " Thus the emergency Commissioner of the Costa Concordia, prefect Franco Gabrielli met this afternoon at the Lily population. "Today we can, when we have the go-ahead from the Council of Ministers and of the Observatory, to remove the ship within the 20 of July» added stating that ' this ship another winter cannot endure.

Favourable Window from July 13 to August 8- "If this is the problem the solution passes from possible undesirable things. Moving the ship in Genoa, said Gabrielli – has a favourable window that runs from July 13 to August 8 that is where statistically there are more favorable weather conditions. " And then he added: "the departure of the ship must be carried out without interruption from rigalleggiamento, as indicated by the decision of the Government."

Mayor del Giglio: «priority for us is that the ship would go as soon as possible»- "For us the priority is that the ship will leave the island as soon as possible. For this in the Conference of services we gave a favourable opinion by getting in first place the reduction of social and economic impact of this ugly story on our island. " So the Mayor of Isola del Giglio Sergio Ortelli. «Our opinion, he said, was bound to certain prescriptions about the impact of transactions on the current season, his third with the forced cohabitation with the wreck. Today – ha aggiunto Ortelli – after our solicitations came the first answers. He started making that minimum of clarity that we wanted. The first private indications tell us – he concluded – that interferences in the activities may be minimal and contained ".

The stages of the LWL- Meanwhile, continue installation of caissons that will float the wreck. «The operations go very well. Continue to install the last four cells before rigalleggiare the ship, "said during the meeting, Franco Porcellacchia project manager of Costa Crociere. «Rigalleggiamento operations are divided into four stages – Porcellacchia – said at the first stage there will be a partial rigalleggiamento and moving the wreck. On the first day, the wreck will be rigalleggiato about 2 meters from the platforms and moved with the aid of tugboats about 30 metres to the East. This phase will last about 6 hours, during which we will propose to suspend the traffic around the ship. At the end of this operation – Porcellacchia – said the wreckage will be moored securely and held in place by fixed anchor points and tugboats and traffic will resume normally. " Will be linked and tensioning of the chains and cables and put into final position of tanks on the starboard side. This phase will last about 2 days ago. You must connect the last missing chain 4 and 7 connection cables of straight-side bins and "lower" some bins in their final position. The third phase will be the rigalleggiamento itself. The expulsion of water from cells will take place step by step, a bridge at a time starting from the bridge gradually until the bridge 6 3, until you reach the end position of rigalleggiamento. You will arrive to the final departure manoeuvre. We will proceed after the arrival of the first ferry to porto Santo Stefano. At this stage the tugboats will be connected and you will control and maneuvering for the departure of the convoy. At this stage, and for the duration of about 4 hours, port traffic will be forbidden to carry out operations in complete safety. '

In the link there are a few pictures:

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/26/in-6-giorni-il-rigalleggiamento-della-concordia/

There was one comment on the article. The writer, Jim, has said that he is training a team of dolphins to swim along side of Concordia with camera's on them so we can see underwater views when Concordia sinks.

;)

I looked at the webcam this morning, but can't see P15 on a barge. Is it out of shot or has it already been lowered?

Great posts by the way, very informative and thank you very much.

P.S. One more question. What is all the framework that appears to be on top of the sponsons all down the starboard side? I noticed it on the panoramic webcam view. Is it extra support for the sponsors given that side is damaged?

Edited by telken22