Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

They hit the "stew of toxic waste" line pretty hard. They were all saying the same thing prior to the parbuckle, that there would be all kinds of polutants released as the ship was rolled. And then basically nothing was released.

This is one to look out for.

http://www.resolvemarine.com/spec_sheets/ResolveEarl_anchor_handling_tug.pdf

Resolve Earl is one of the big tugs to take CC to Genoa. At present she is sailing between Corsica and Sardinia on route to arrive 0200 on Thursday morning at Piombino.

The other tug that has been named for the job is Blizzard, however there are any number of vessels with that name and so far I have been unable to locate her.

We shouldn't have any problem spotting her.

Edited by clive and anne

This is one to look out for.

http://www.resolvemarine.com/spec_sheets/ResolveEarl_anchor_handling_tug.pdf

Resolve Earl is one of the big tugs to take CC to Genoa. At present she is sailing between Corsica and Sardinia on route to arrive 0200 on Thursday morning at Piombino.

The other tug that has been named for the job is Blizzard, however there are any number of vessels with that name and so far I have been unable to locate her.

We shouldn't have any problem spotting her.

This Blizzard looks like a sea-going tug: http://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=8516952

Just posting to say, "Thank you!" to everyone who contributes to this thread. This is where I come to get all the news on Costa Concordia. Looking forward to another all-nighter with all you good people.

Best wishes,

MorganMars

Just posting to say, "Thank you!" to everyone who contributes to this thread. This is where I come to get all the news on Costa Concordia. Looking forward to another all-nighter with all you good people.

Best wishes,

MorganMars

+1

Thank you everyone :)

They are still deciding on the removal or non-removal of the underwater platforms once the CC is raised and moved.

In terms of decisions for a long time the council is developing a serious analysis on whether constituted by the non-removal of the platforms. To support this thesis we have used the experience of the University La Sapienza proposing to keep promoting the repopulation and to better exploit the potential offered to scuba diving at a site which has become famous because of the sinking of the Concordia.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/07/01/la-maggioranza-risponde-sulla-questione-piattaforme/

Hi Sid

The window that has been discussed is 18th July to 9th August. But this is obviously dependent on sea conditions and they are looking for a 5 day window when they can be sure the voyage to Genoa is trouble free.

Not sure anyone can be that sure of the weather forecast.

From a personal point of view I am hoping they either bring forward the window to 14th July then I can watch the re float and then hopefully see the flotilla on its way to Genoa while I am aboard Costa Deliziosa

Hi Sid

The window that has been discussed is 18th July to 9th August. But this is obviously dependent on sea conditions and they are looking for a 5 day window when they can be sure the voyage to Genoa is trouble free.

Not sure anyone can be that sure of the weather forecast.

From a personal point of view I am hoping they either bring forward the window to 14th July then I can watch the re float and then hopefully see the flotilla on its way to Genoa while I am aboard Costa Deliziosa

I predict no other cruise ship will go within sight of the Concordia as she is being moved.

Greenpeace is at it again:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2677819/Greenpeace-send-Rainbow-Warrior-ship-block-removal-wrecked-Costa-Concordia-Giglio-saying-five-day-voyage-scrapyard-potential-environmental-disaster.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

While I am all for protecting the environment, I think Greenpeace does environmentalism a disservice with their extreme views and actions. There is risk in everything. All we can do is try to predict all the possible problems and make provisions to avoid them to the best of our ability.

Well if that was a protest it didn't last long.

Rainbow Warrior arrived stayed about two hours well away from the site and then sailed off to Civitavecchia where she is still docked.

The question remains that there is a capsized large cruise ship and a decision has to be made what to do with it. As far as I know Genoa is the closest port capable of carrying out the work. Not sure in the circumstances what there is to protest about

Has anyone thought of this yet?

Graduating engineers in Canada/US receive an iron or stainless steel ring as a reminder of their obligation.

Rings made from salvage and given to graduating naval officers would be more than a reminder or would that be too gruesome?

Because of the ongoing court case involving the CC and it's captain Francesco Schettino, a court is required before actual dismantling begins.

In order to dismantle the Costa Concordia Costa Crociere SpA, the company must apply to the court in Grosseto, the restitution of the ship. But the instance needed, ie a formal request to the courts, has not yet been submitted by the lawyers of the company, who have decided to present it based on the performance of hearings this week in Grosseto.

It is what we learn on the sidelines of the same process. The ship, in fact, is a source of evidence: to be dismantled, partially or totally, need the OK of the Court of Grosseto to the release from seizure while towing from Genoa to Giglio in the Tyrrhenian Sea could suffice an ordinance authorizing the transfer; maintaining the Concordia impounded.

Towing and dismantling are two distinct phases that the court could, therefore, deal with two different decisions. The legal department of Côte expect the hearings devoted to deepen expertise and technical aspects, thinking it might come any new occurrences. Not only that. Even when the court receives the application for Costa, in turn, the panel of judges, before deciding, will require a favorable opinion of the prosecutor in Grosseto.

So sad. :( Never been on a Costa ship but this one being so similar to the two Carnival ships I have been on I can recognize where most of the footage was taken, specially the main lobby and atrium areas.