Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Telken, thanks for sharing the video here.

Lightman, according to the article this was done soon after the ship was righted. Not sure if it was part of the search for the 2 remaining missing (at the time) but we know that search went on then.

Reading the article it looks like many steps will be taken to prevent debris from coming out of ship and to keep it stable before she transits across the sea. They must still be mindful of the person still missing. Estimated start date is July 14th.

Clive, that will give you an opportunity to see the start.

Ken, I wondered about the dismantling since the ship is evidence in a court case. Just imagine what the people of Giglio would say/do if the court said the ship couldn't be removed. :eek: I don't think they will stop the removal, not so sure about the dismantling itself.

From the TPP website:

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/article/85/Costa_Crociere:_installation_of_all_sponsons_completed,_ten_days_to_possible_refloating

Edited by SomeBeach

I guess they could impound the ship until after the trial which would mean no work taking place in Genoa, although i guess it can no longer be considered a crime scene due to the number of people who have worked on it.

No worries all :)

I like to give back a litle something to a forum that has helped me out so much. Its interesting that you could see things like old books lying on the walkways, I expect this is the sort of thing they are worried could fall off and cause pollution as such.

Regarding evidence, surely the ship has been hacked around so much now that there isn't much left for evidence? Even the Bridge has been cut about.

Refloating scheduled in the next 10 days, looks like the poster who is going on a cruise soon is in luck!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/03/uk-italy-concordia-idUKKBN0F81VN20140703

Edited by telken22

Just looking at the site today I notice that Conquest has lowered the big crane. As BE said the other day perhaps its work is done and perhaps she is preparing to leave the site.

I can't remember how they assembled the 'T' crane sitting on top of CC. They may need Conquest's large crane to de-assemble the T crane in the next week before re-floating?

Glad to see Reuters are now reporting updates on CC, hopefully they are polishing up their live camera lenses ready for us to look through in the next few days! The BBC here in the UK have been reporting updates in the last 24 hrs.

Tugboat Resolve Earl now moored up in Piombino, tugboat Blizzard cruising round the NE tip of France, she's not covered much distance since last night, so maybe she dropped anchor overnight.

Tugboat Resolve Earl now moored up in Piombino, tugboat Blizzard cruising round the NE tip of France, she's not covered much distance since last night, so maybe she dropped anchor overnight.

Sorry, ignore the last bit, I had the map on the wrong scale!! Blizzard's actually covered a couple of hundred kms since I checked yesterday!....

Blizzard is also classified as an 'Anchor Handling Vessel' according to Marine Traffic. I assume 'it does what it says on the tin'?!

Edited by CTH

Apparently the Rainbow Warrior is in the area to disrupt the recovery :rolleyes:

Greenpeace has sent its Rainbow Warrior ship to obstruct recovery of vessel amid fears of damage to environment

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2680004/Inside-wreck-Costa-Concordia-Divers-explore-sunken-cruise-ship-just-days-raised-fury-green-campaigners.html

You really have to wonder what planet these rich idiots are on.

Rainbow Warrior turned up for a couple of hours the other day and then went off to dock at Civitavecchia for a couple of days. It is now docked in Palermo.

I don't tend to take everything the British press at face value and I cant understand what Greenpeace and the envoironment would gain from disrupting the salvage or journey to Genoa.

I expect that there will be a large flotilla of vessels to accompany CC on her final voyage and wouldn't it be rather dangerous for Rainbow Warrior to try and pierce the security ring.

However, I would expect them to monitor and take samples along the route for signs of pollution, which basically what I think they were doing the other day at the site.

Can I just say Happy Independence Day to all our American friends on this thread.

Surely if Rainbow Warrior was about to set out from Palermo or wherever she is at the time, the Italian Authorities could hold her for some inspection or another for a few days.

However, I would expect them to monitor and take samples along the route for signs of pollution, which basically what I think they were doing the other day at the site.

And do what with the samples exactly, moan to high heaven about a vacuum packed rib eye steak floating past?

I'd have more respect for them if they put sails on the Rainbow Warrior and sailed around rather then be hypocritical and use diesel marine fuel to claim others are causing "pollution".

bpgp-560x314_kiwiblog.jpg

Filled up by a BP bowser. oh the irony.

Edited by CCFC

Meanwhile the Court dissequestra the ship- The Tribunal of Grosseto placed ship Concordia released from seizure. The decision this morning: the Board approved the application submitted by Costa Crociere rigalleggiamento relevance and ship transport from Lily to the port of Genoa. At the request of Costa had opposed the Codacons, bossing the defence of Sadomba asking that the vessel seized from zero rhymes. Prosecutors instead had restored the decision of the Court.

The Codacons, through lawyer Giuliano Rajiv, had opposed the request to release the products. "Still have to be made important investigations on the ship", this motivation of no of Codacons. Sadon's defense claimed instead that the ship remained at least sequestered from zero up to the bridge deck 3 because "must be still made important investigations on watertight doors", had explained the lawyer Donato Laino. Grosseto Attorney had instead called the decision of the Collegium of the Court, then retired to decide.

Costa Cruises has asked and obtained the Magistrates because the ship must be dismantled immediately regarding the upper decks: otherwise couldn't get into dry dock in the port of Genoa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following is the first part of the article. As you know my translator isn't that great so maybe someone else would like to use theirs to make better sense of this. Link below. (I did look to see if another paper had the story but found nothing at the time I posted.)

Sadomba: "I would hate to lose you now ship"

"Having done everything to make it go down, not trying to bring it as close as possible to where it is now, I wouldn't mind much you lost" la Concordia. These are the words of Sadon, reported today on the nation, about the last voyage of the ship.

Schettino, during a break in the hearing yesterday that he blamed for the sinking of the Concordia, explains, these statements in the newspaper, that his ' choice ', or to delay the abandonment of the ship to make her move to the coast, "cost me everything I'm experiencing now, understand that seeing her lose, I wouldn't mind."

On transfer to Genoa added: "I hope it's a choice that involves the least possible risk to the ship. I hope that you have made the necessary considerations ". "I can only add-continues – that I really hope you arrive at the port of destination and that the hand of man to destroy it and nothing else". "But there was a port closer? Livorno, for example, "asks the Commander who then tells you not to be able to judge on the issue" linked to plummet.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/07/04/schettino-mi-dispiacerebbe-nave-si-perdesse-ora/

Clive, thank you for your kind wishes. Had a very nice day.

The picture of the bell in that article was taken days after the sinking and before it was stolen.

What is it with Greenpeace? You can't move it because it will spill nasty stuff. What do they want? Do they want it to remain in its current location and left to rust and pollute the pristine waters of Giglio? Wasn't most of the nasty stuff spilled during parbuckling anyway?

The picture of the bell in that article was taken days after the sinking and before it was stolen.

What is it with Greenpeace? You can't move it because it will spill nasty stuff. What do they want? Do they want it to remain in its current location and left to rust and pollute the pristine waters of Giglio? Wasn't most of the nasty stuff spilled during parbuckling anyway?

What they want is publicity. The towing away of the CC will be one of the most watched events, and Greenpeace wants to remain relevant, so why not piggyback on the CC recovery with some lame idea of "monitoring the environment".

What they want is publicity. The towing away of the CC will be one of the most watched events, and Greenpeace wants to remain relevant, so why not piggyback on the CC recovery with some lame idea of "monitoring the environment".

Exactly. And if one little (or big) thing goes wrong what better opportunity to shout, "told you so."

The bottom line is the ship has to be moved.

I stand to be corrected, but I have yet to see any recent statement from Greenpeace regarding their plans in relation to CC's removal.

The only source we have is the trustworthy and never lying (haha) "Daily Mail". (Who just 'reported' with some very old photos and a mishmash of facts, cobbled together from all the time since the accident.)

So, Greenpeace have sent the Rainbow Warrior. And? Go on, show me sources.

I stand to be corrected, but I have yet to see any recent statement from Greenpeace regarding their plans in relation to CC's removal.

The only source we have is the trustworthy and never lying (haha) "Daily Mail". (Who just 'reported' with some very old photos and a mishmash of facts, cobbled together from all the time since the accident.)

So, Greenpeace have sent the Rainbow Warrior. And? Go on, show me sources.

I don't think the French do much very well except food and wine.

But, in my opinion, they have a track record on dealing with "Greenpeace" (aka WackoWar) :rolleyes:

Google: French Greenpeace

Click On Image To Enlarge

Rainbow_Warrior.png.0b6617afeb539755f4bf3b3f622b0098.png

Edited by Uniall