Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Any advice re sailing with RCL appreciated :-) will be reviewing there forums as we have only sailed Costa and Princess

You will be fine with them. We have sailed on many lines over the years (not Costa, you have to maintain certain standards) and found them superior in many ways to all the others.

David

Hi Michelle -

Glad things are getting back to normal for you. You will love Royal -- I sailed on one of their older ships and was enthralled -- any ship you are taking from that line will be just "royal"!

On another note, Francesco Schettino's lawyer, Bruno Leporatti, has just called it quits and is no longer defending Schettino. No idea why Leporatti pulled the plug. Italian press reports are sketchy. :eek:

http://corrierefiorentino.corriere.it/firenze/notizie/cronaca/2012/11-dicembre-2012/leporatti-lascia-schettinol-avvocato-rinuncia-difesa-2113113283809.shtml

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/12/11/news/schettino_lasciato_dall_avvocato_leporatti_non_lo_difende_pi-48516852/?ref=search

CT, that is interesting.

I allow that I don't know much about trial lawyers and such but I do know that at times disagreements arise as to how to proceed with a case, especially high profile cases. This usually results in one (or more) lawyers leaving. We may or may not ever learn the reason behind it.

The common reasons for an attorney withdrawing from a case during the preliminary stages are usually failure of the client to pay the agreed fees and or the attorney learning of new facts that create a conflict of interest. That could be caused by learning the client had lied to him or finally tells the whole truth which is contrary to what the attorney has been arguing to the court.

CT, that is interesting.

I allow that I don't know much about trial lawyers and such but I do know that at times disagreements arise as to how to proceed with a case, especially high profile cases. This usually results in one (or more) lawyers leaving. We may or may not ever learn the reason behind it.

Yep -- we might never know. Can't say I blame him for abandoning the Homer Simpson of the High Seas!

HS of the HS is due back in court on Jan 3 for his wrongful dismissal suit. He gambled with the lives of 4000+ for bragging rights and a piece of tail. He lost. And he wants what? His old job back with back pay? Yeah right. Not to mention he's responsible for the world's costliest wreck-removal and clean-up. Surely people will be clamoring to get on board the ship Schettino ultimately captains. NOT. No need to line up folks -- plenty of room there. Not even $99 for a week on the Med and $1000 OBC with a free drink package to boot would get me on that ship. Does anyone know the Italian word for “chutzpah”?

The common reasons for an attorney withdrawing from a case during the preliminary stages are usually failure of the client to pay the agreed fees and or the attorney learning of new facts that create a conflict of interest. That could be caused by learning the client had lied to him or finally tells the whole truth which is contrary to what the attorney has been arguing to the court.
Not surprising this came after the Canadian 5th Estate interview. Every time Schettino opens his mouth, he seems to dig himself in a deeper hole. Why he would make statements the black box totally refutes is mind bogling.

He should probably stick to his first explanation from the black box transcript: "Roberto, I f-- up!" What part of this statment means, "I'm not at fault"?

I've just developed a sure fire not guilty strategy for Il Capitano. :eek:

Empanel a jury comprised only of Maldovian and Ukranian female chorus line dancers. :p

And who might the judge be? Costa Smurfette, Schettino's mother or his brother?

He'll be lucky if he gets this judge:

2i0ztav.jpg

Just a point of note, one Captain we sailed with told us that he and his staff ie officers drank Non Alcholic drinks whilst onboard ship and as most people know these include Wine and Beer!

You're kidding, right? Are you implying that Schettino was drinking non-alcoholic wine? In Schettino's case the wine was in a decanter. Isn't the purpose of decanting to rid the wine of the sediment that develops as some wines age (especially alcoholic red wine)?

Don't know about you but I've never seen non-alcoholic wine or grape juice decanted on a cruise ship or anywhere -- maybe Costa is different -- don't know. Are there even Italians who drink non-alcoholic wine? Doesn't that go against their culture?

The person who witnessed Schettino drinking also stated that he was laughing, cavorting and carrying-on with his companion. Hardly a scene for fruit juice... The alcohol test wasn't done on Schettino until the next day -- the alcohol would have worn off by then.

:p I was going to mention fees but figured since the Captain is writing or has written what is sure to be a best selling novel with his side of the story, money would not be a factor. :rolleyes:

CT, I saw that report earlier. As much as I understand the people wanting the ship gone there are just so many external problems involved, not the least is weather.

One mistake could cause even more damage than what is already there. I would think the need to proceed with caution is greater than just getting it out of there.

Course this is easy for me to say because I'm not living with "the elephant in my living room."

I beleive it will be broken up but there is a small chance it could be repaired into another type of vessel, but she will never be a cruiser ship again. That would be plain to expensive.

As to a wrecker in Italy or India or somewhere else will be decided later, governed by the highest bidder.

AKK

:p I was going to mention fees but figured since the Captain is writing or has written what is sure to be a best selling novel with his side of the story, money would not be a factor. :rolleyes:
Not sure if Italy has a law like in most States here (Son of Sam Law) in the US whereby a criminal cannot profit from his or her crime. In that case Schettino would get zippo from his book.

CT, I saw that report earlier. As much as I understand the people wanting the ship gone there are just so many external problems involved, not the least is weather.

One mistake could cause even more damage than what is already there. I would think the need to proceed with caution is greater than just getting it out of there.

Course this is easy for me to say because I'm not living with "the elephant in my living room."

Speaking of metaphors, the islanders must be mad as hornets. Schettino is like a turkey who votes for Thanksgiving every time he opens his bocca larga.

Not sure if Italy has a law like in most States here (Son of Sam Law) in the US whereby a criminal cannot profit from his or her crime. In that case Schettino would get zippo from his book.

Good point. But can you really see Schettino doing something that won't be a profit for him or a benefit to his daughter and wife, if she's still with him. :rolleyes:

I suppose he could use the book as a way to garner support for his story. I mean if you tell a story enough times you start to believe it; maybe you also convince others to believe it too.

Hoping this will work. It worked in a trial run.

The updated report on work has been released. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to translate the report. :( However, in this link you can access the report to see a few pictures. Once you open the link, click on Visualizza Relazione.

http://www.giglionews.it/2012121659291/news/isola-del-giglio/rimozione-relazione-settimanale-dal-8-al-14-dicembre.html#addcomments

Plans for 1 year after the disaster.

From Giglio News.

Sunday, January 13th a day to remember the victims of the tragedy TO ONE YEAR FROM THE CONCORDIA SINKING OF THE LILY NOT FORGET Mass of suffrage and a bronze plaque in memory. The gigliesi shake the pain of the family and to the memory of the castaways A day to remember the victims of the tragedy of the Costa Concordia. One year after the shipwrecked off the waters of Giglio Porto, Sunday, Jan. 13, the community of Isola del Giglio, commemorates the memory of the thirty victims and tighten, a year later, the pain of the relatives of the survivors and the memory of that night . program The program includes 10 hours to the repositioning of the rocks in the sea at Le Scole. At 11 am, in the Church of St Laurence and Mamiliano the Port, will take place during the Mass of Suffrage officiated by the Bishop of Sovana, Pitigliano and Orbetello Bishop Borghetti with the participation of the Choir of Isola del Giglio. Following the City Council and the community will commemorate the victims and will give the honors to the bodies of organized rescue. At 15.30 on the Red Wharf will be marked with a bronze plaque in memory of the victims of the tragedy and a plaque in memory of the gesture of solidarity gigliesi with the participation of the band Enea Brizzi. At 18 in the Church of St. Peter in Giglio Castello will be held, finally, the classical music concert for the gesture of solidarity gigliesi conducted by Maestro Massimiliano Warm with soloists MusicalGiglio. Commemoration activities are carried out in collaboration with Costa Cruises that joins to participate sincerely in the grief of relatives of victims and survivors and to thank once again the Islanders and all rescuers who are generously went out that night.

CT, I hope nobody among your family and friends were affected by the recent tragedy in your state. I can not imagine the pain your state itself is feeling but I know that all of us feel for every victim of this senseless act.

Memory Eternal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plans are underway for the 1 year anniversary of the Concordia disaster.

Sunday, January 13th a day to remember the victims of the tragedy TO ONE YEAR FROM THE CONCORDIA SINKING OF THE LILY NOT FORGET Mass of suffrage and a bronze plaque in memory. The gigliesi shake the pain of the family and to the memory of the castaways A day to remember the victims of the tragedy of the Costa Concordia. One year after the shipwrecked off the waters of Giglio Porto, Sunday, Jan. 13, the community of Isola del Giglio, commemorates the memory of the thirty victims and tighten, a year later, the pain of the relatives of the survivors and the memory of that night . program The program includes 10 hours to the repositioning of the rocks in the sea at Le Scole. At 11 am, in the Church of St Laurence and Mamiliano the Port, will take place during the Mass of Suffrage officiated by the Bishop of Sovana, Pitigliano and Orbetello Bishop Borghetti with the participation of the Choir of Isola del Giglio. Following the City Council and the community will commemorate the victims and will give the honors to the bodies of organized rescue. At 15.30 on the Red Wharf will be marked with a bronze plaque in memory of the victims of the tragedy and a plaque in memory of the gesture of solidarity gigliesi with the participation of the band Enea Brizzi. At 18 in the Church of St. Peter in Giglio Castello will be held, finally, the classical music concert for the gesture of solidarity gigliesi conducted by Maestro Massimiliano Warm with soloists MusicalGiglio. Commemoration activities are carried out in collaboration with Costa Cruises that joins to participate sincerely in the grief of relatives of victims and survivors and to thank once again the Islanders and all rescuers who are generously went out that night