Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Thanks for links. Intereting stuff. By the way, do these jobs appear in the jobcentre. Might see him in the queue.

Not sure if he should be allowed to hire a rowing boat in a park

Edited by bigeck

Will the Captain of the minesweeper lose his job or just be given a New command on another one ?

Now that is a big question.....it could go either way, if the chart issue is true, the reef was 8 miles misplotted, he may get off and keep/get another command.

However it is likely there are other issues involved and if so, he will likely loss his command and end up in a dead end desk job.

Time will tell.

AKK

Will the Captain of the minesweeper lose his job or just be given a New command on another one ?

Your Ameriphobia is showing again. Don't forget, we preserved English as your primary language, twice in the last hundred years.

Not sure whether its official info or whether just speculation but I am reading on Giglio news about air pillows being used to cushion the impact of the hull onto the underwater platforms. I can see that this might limit the over- rotation during the parbuckle.

Also seem to remember a few days ago about a German filmaker following the salvage.

I am sure there will be "Hollywood " films regarding both the events of 13th January 2012 and the subsequent salvage. But if history is anything to go by these will be so dramatised as to be useless.

I am sure Nat Geo or others will have the salvage covered.

Wonder how many bookings a cruise with Schettino as captain would get. How many people besides CS would be on that ship and glad to be there? CS, you disappeared -- did you ever find those links?

I've been wondering too, where the links for the "well documented equipment failings" on Concordia were. I really do want to know what wasn't operating properly that night besides the Captain and his crew.

On the possibility of the captain on another ship - I dunno, he might be ok on a transatlantic tanker. I don't believe they have too many pretty dancers on board and the tankers aren't "showworthy" to the islands.

I've been wondering too, where the links for the "well documented equipment failings" on Concordia were. I really do want to know what wasn't operating properly that night besides the Captain and his crew.

On the possibility of the captain on another ship - I dunno, he might be ok on a transatlantic tanker. I don't believe they have too many pretty dancers on board and the tankers aren't "showworthy" to the islands.

Whoaaa............leave him off the tankers.............as least the Concordia is in one place................he hit a reef with a tanker and there oil for thousands of miles!

Beleive me. I know what horrors he could do with a tanker. I sailed 12 years on them, right up to Master.

AKK

Whoaaa............leave him off the tankers.............as least the Concordia is in one place................he hit a reef with a tanker and there oil for thousands of miles!

Beleive me. I know what horrors he could do with a tanker. I sailed 12 years on them' date=' right up to Master.

AKK[/quote']

lol - too true. Ok, cargo then. My point was something that stayed in the middle and didn't have dancing girls.

Schettino deserves a lot of things. Being called a Captain shouldn't be one of them, any longer. Can they do like the military does, and strip hiim of his title?

Far as I'm concerned he should not be allowed to even command a plastic boat, in a bathtub.

Shortly after hitting the rocks, didn't we read that Schettino called Costa but told them that, at most, they may need a tugboat?

If that's any where near true, how could Costa possibly know the extent of damage to the ship. Of course they need to be able to trust the captains judgement.

And that will be their downfall IMO. Trusting and promoting a man like Schettino to captain of a ship responsible for 4000 passengers safety.

I ran across this article and thought I would share. It is from January 8 but I don't think it has shown up on this thread.

http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/Costa+Concordia+captain+p

BOLOGNA, Italy — The captain of the Costa Concordia has spoken of his “enormous regret” about the cruise ship disaster and of his resentment at being demonized.

Francesco Schettino said in an interview that he “was painted as worse than bin Laden”, but that “the sentiment that characterizes the last year is torment for what happened that night. It is sincere pain from the bottom of my heart.”

Schettino told the Turin daily La Stampa that the way he was portrayed “ridicules not just 30 years of my work, my experience in the whole world, but also the image of our country, which has been exposed to the criticism, often unjust, of the entire planet”.

The Costa Concordia hit rocks off the coast of Giglio on the evening of Jan 13 last year, while sailing too fast and too close to shore in order to perform a ship salute. In the chaos that ensued, 32 people died, hundreds were injured and more than 4,000 passengers and crew were marooned on the tiny Mediterranean island west of Italy, usually home to just 600 residents.

Widely dubbed “captain coward” by the Italian media, Schettino has been accused of multiple manslaughter and abandoning the ship before all the passengers were safely ashore.

The captain, who has said he did not intentionally abandon ship but slipped and fell into a lifeboat when the Concordia rolled on to its side, called for a review of the cruise industry’s rules.

“Everyone knows that to salute the island you have to pass by closer to the island. We always did it,” he said. “I don’t want to point the fingers at others, but that night I was not furnished the exact information. I may have made a mistake, but I was not alone.”

Prosecutors announced before Christmas that their 50,000-page investigation was complete and charges would be pressed later this month against eight people, including Schettino.

The court’s expert report on the accident noted communication and language problems on board and said Schettino and the Costa Cruises crisis team failed to call an evacuation in time. By the time the command was given, the ship was listing too far for all the lifeboats to be launched.

A day of commemorative events is planned on Giglio for Sunday, the first anniversary of the disaster. Costa Cruises said that its flags would be flown at half mast all over the world. The company also said that Roman Catholic Masses would be held in Genoa, Manila and Lima, as well as Muslim ceremonies in Jakarta and Bali and Hindu ceremonies in Mumbai and Goa.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Shortly after hitting the rocks, didn't we read that Schettino called Costa but told them that, at most, they may need a tugboat?

If that's any where near true, how could Costa possibly know the extent of damage to the ship. Of course they need to be able to trust the captains judgement.

And that will be their downfall IMO. Trusting and promoting a man like Schettino to captain of a ship responsible for 4000 passengers safety.

This is where I miss our history with the threads that were closed.

I believe you are referring to the conversation the Captain started with, "I f'd up."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He says in the article posted above that he "was not furnished the exact information." Recent news stated that for a sail by there are more detailed charts but those were not on Concordia for that cruise because the ship wasn't to go there or if they were on board, they weren't utilized. My impression has always been that this was for the benefit of one or 2 folks on the Bridge.

I don't recall passengers from the ship saying they were notified of a sail by. If it was a Costa sponsored event, wouldn't announcements have been made at some point during the earlier part of the evening. I remember on one of my New Year's Eve cruises (HAL) we were told that the Captain was going to increase our speed so that at midnight we would sail past an island that was setting off fireworks. As we got closer to the island, the ship decreased its speed and we were able to see them in the distance.

I don't believe this would be classified as a sail by. There was no change in our route, just the speed so the timing would allow us to see the fireworks.

My point is, there was at least one, maybe 2, announcements made.

"There was no change in our route"

SB ... Just curious but how in the darkness could you tell there was no change in the route? there is no way you would know if you were closer to the island than the ship normallywould have been.

"There was no change in our route"

SB ... Just curious but how in the darkness could you tell there was no change in the route? there is no way you would know if you were closer to the island than the ship normallywould have been.

Wellllll mostly because at dinner that evening the Captain didn't say anything to those of us that we were going to go off course to see the fireworks. He only said he had the speed increased so we could be sailing past the island at midnight and we could stay at a slower speed afterwards for the timing to arrive at our next port.

Tho I don't exactly how far from the island we were, it was more than a few miles away. It's not like those of us standing on the starboard side were oouing and aahhhing, more like, "there's one" when they got high enough to see.

Just curious: if I were to say the sky is blue, would you ask what shade? ;):p

I ran across this article and thought I would share. It is from January 8 but I don't think it has shown up on this thread.

http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/Costa+Concordia+captain+p

BOLOGNA, Italy — The captain of the Costa Concordia has spoken of his “enormous regret” about the cruise ship disaster and of his resentment at being demonized.

Francesco Schettino said in an interview that he “was painted as worse than bin Laden”, but that “the sentiment that characterizes the last year is torment for what happened that night. It is sincere pain from the bottom of my heart.”

Schettino told the Turin daily La Stampa that the way he was portrayed “ridicules not just 30 years of my work, my experience in the whole world, but also the image of our country, which has been exposed to the criticism, often unjust, of the entire planet”.

The Costa Concordia hit rocks off the coast of Giglio on the evening of Jan 13 last year, while sailing too fast and too close to shore in order to perform a ship salute. In the chaos that ensued, 32 people died, hundreds were injured and more than 4,000 passengers and crew were marooned on the tiny Mediterranean island west of Italy, usually home to just 600 residents.

Widely dubbed “captain coward” by the Italian media, Schettino has been accused of multiple manslaughter and abandoning the ship before all the passengers were safely ashore.

The captain, who has said he did not intentionally abandon ship but slipped and fell into a lifeboat when the Concordia rolled on to its side, called for a review of the cruise industry’s rules.

“Everyone knows that to salute the island you have to pass by closer to the island. We always did it,” he said. “I don’t want to point the fingers at others, but that night I was not furnished the exact information. I may have made a mistake, but I was not alone.”

Prosecutors announced before Christmas that their 50,000-page investigation was complete and charges would be pressed later this month against eight people, including Schettino.

The court’s expert report on the accident noted communication and language problems on board and said Schettino and the Costa Cruises crisis team failed to call an evacuation in time. By the time the command was given, the ship was listing too far for all the lifeboats to be launched.

A day of commemorative events is planned on Giglio for Sunday, the first anniversary of the disaster. Costa Cruises said that its flags would be flown at half mast all over the world. The company also said that Roman Catholic Masses would be held in Genoa, Manila and Lima, as well as Muslim ceremonies in Jakarta and Bali and Hindu ceremonies in Mumbai and Goa.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Just as well Bin Laden isnt around, dont think he would like to be in the same quote as C Coward

Morning to All,

I just saw in the January issue of Marine log that as of about a week or so ago, 30% of the grout basgs are filled.

They also mentioned that the stack was removed to speed up the work on the *holdback system*. I am not sure if that holdback system has to do with keeping to hull from rolled onto the underwater platforms to fast/hard?

I note now that when the cassions are empty and the hull floating, the hull will still be drawing 18m, which means there is alot of water going to be left within the hull...........I am wondering how they intend to handle the freesurface issues during the tow???

Anyone see anything on these points?

AKK

AKK

I note now that when the cassions are empty and the hull floating' date=' the hull will still be drawing 18m, which means there is alot of water going to be left within the hull...........I am wondering how they intend to handle the freesurface issues during the tow???[/quote']

I would imagine that the spaces inside the ship that will be flooded will not be large enough for the free surface effect to have much impact on the stability. The water wouldn't move around fast enough for it to shift the centre of gravity that much. It of course is an issue on ships with large cargo holds, as the water can move freely. In Concordia there are corridors and bulkheads which will slow the movement of water.

I would imagine that the spaces inside the ship that will be flooded will not be large enough for the free surface effect to have much impact on the stability. The water wouldn't move around fast enough for it to shift the centre of gravity that much. It of course is an issue on ships with large cargo holds, as the water can move freely. In Concordia there are corridors and bulkheads which will slow the movement of water.

I agree , the large holds have a big free surface issue. However heven if the bulkheads slow the efect, the water could still cuase issues.

I was thinking the extra draft maybe due to them flooding or leaving the bottom bottoms and fuel tanks flooded, and pumping out the open spaces..........just a thought.

AKK