Boarding in Melbourne - Dawn Princess

jane02

My elderly parents and daughter are leaving Melbourne on Saturday aboard the Dawn Princess for a 13 night cruise to New Zealand.

I have read a few horror stories of long waits and major disorganisation with some Australian ports. My mum is unwell and my step father is unsteady on his feet due to a stroke last year. We have been told they can board between 12.30 - 3pm for a 4pm departure. I will be driving them to the port and live very close by so any recommendations for the best time to drop them off and avoiding peak times?

I am hoping to organise a wheel chair for my step father as he does not tolerate standing in a line for very long. It is going to be quite warm on Saturday as well.

Many thanks

Kellie

You will have absolutely no problem in organising a wheelchair for one or both of your parents. As soon as the staff see someone with a walking stick (even if they don't look too frail) they offer that service. Urge your parents to accept the help. It will mean they sit in a separate area prior to embarking, but they will have their own 'valet' to wheel them on, right to their cabin (the time my mum-in-law did this).

I hope they have a fantastic cruise.:)

Thanks for the reply. I hope it all goes smoothly. Once I get them on the ship, I will be able to breathe a sigh of relief. Its been a big effort to get them to the point where they are well enough to travel and boarding and returning to Melbourne without a plane trip is a big advantage!

We are currently on the Dawn and we got on the ship early, arriving at Station Pier at 11 am. They start boarding at 11.45 and we were in our cabin by 11.50 with no delays so better to get there early.

Hi on the Dawn! Our son is staff there-he was supposed to be home, but he had his contract extended. If you see the trumpet player in the ship's orchestra, an American, please tell him "Hi" from Mom and Dad and we hope to see him soon. This contract extension was such a disappointment, but we'll survive til he gets home, soon, I hope!

jane02, your parents will be sailing with him on what is hopefully his last cruise. Hope all goes well for them in boarding.

Just thought I would report back that everything went very smoothly when I dropped my family off for their trip on the Dawn Princess yesterday. In fact it was one of the most organised port I have been to.

My step dad was put straight into a wheelchair and they whisked through the admission procedure and in their cabins in a very short space of time.

Thanks for all of the reassurance. You guys are the best!

Kellie

Archived