Chankanaab Park dolphin push/pull/swim

DuncNCinc

I originally wanted to get our family in on the dolphin swim/snorkel in Roatan, but when I went to book there was only 1 spot available for our time. Instead of spending days on research, I should have just jumped at it when I first read about it!!

ANYHOW, the Chankanaab Park dolphin swim seems like our best second choice. I've read many reviews, and some say you can't take your own pictures - while some say they were able to! Of course I'd like to take my own photos rather than pay an exorbitant amount for them - does anyone have first hand experience with this activity? What was your situation with the photos?

Thanks, and happy cruising!!

The observation area where my wife was located trying to take pictures was a long distance away and unless you have a big, long, telephoto lens you will be disappointed in the photos - bite the bullet and pay the outrageous fees for the photos and video CD. :o

We just did the Push,Pull, and Swim in early January and had a similar experience. We took an underwater camera and were able to take pictures but the pictures that they took were so amazing that we too ended up purchasing them. Have fun!

It is an amazing excursion and like others said, you can take your camera if it is waterproof, but there is so much going on and you are moving around so much it is hard to get good pictures. I too purchased their photos because they were great. I did not try, but some say you can bargain with them. It's worth a try! Snorkeling is great too. We snorkeled after our dolphin adventure.

Hello,

Me and my wife are planning to do this excursion in September. We will be at port from 8am-4pm. So my question is what time did you all get done with this excursion? I see its 3.5 hours. I'm hoping we could be done by noon. There are 2 more excursions we want to do in Cozumel. (Para-sail and mini-sub scooter)

Thanks

Question.... I am going with a group, but I think the only ones who will really want to do the dolphin thing are the kids (9, 6, 4). That said, there is NO WAY that my little one will do it if I am not nearby. It sounds like spectators have to be a bit away from the action. Any idea if there are exceptions for mom with little guys?

Hello,

Me and my wife are planning to do this excursion in September. We will be at port from 8am-4pm. So my question is what time did you all get done with this excursion? I see its 3.5 hours. I'm hoping we could be done by noon. There are 2 more excursions we want to do in Cozumel. (Para-sail and mini-sub scooter)

Thanks

There are specific times for the swims.

If you go to one of booking websites- dolphin discovery dot com- you can see the times available for the Royal Swim on the day you are going to be in port if that is what you want to do. The actual time with the dolphins varies but the maximum time would be no more than an hour from what I have read. This isnt the ship's excursion but independently arranged.

I take it you can take as long or as little time as you want in the park either before or after your Doplphin experience.

The times are Cozumel time not ship time BTW

The observation area where my wife was located trying to take pictures was a long distance away and unless you have a big, long, telephoto lens you will be disappointed in the photos - bite the bullet and pay the outrageous fees for the photos and video CD. :o

Can anyone put a dollar figure (average $) on the "outrageous fees" for photos and video CD?

Can anyone put a dollar figure (average $) on the "outrageous fees" for photos and video CD?

We paid about $100 for a package of photos of our 3 kids plus a DVD of them with the dolphins. That was a few years ago and my wife was able to bargain with them on the prices (price did not come down much, they just kept adding things to the package). Good luck! :)

I'm not sure if you are asking if you can take a camera to take pictures WHILE YOU are swimming with the dolphins or if you are wanting to take pictures while someone else in your party is swimming with the dolphins and you are not going to.

If you are NOT paying to swim with the dolphins, then no, you will not be able to take pictures. Even if you were standing on the dock (not by the dolphin areas, which is a way out) and if you had an dslr camera with a zoom lens, it would be hard because the trainer is standing in the way (her back would be toward you and standing in front of the person with the dolphin).

If you ARE doing the swim with others, you can take a waterproof camera. When we went the trainer and people that worked there said you could have the camera and when their photographer had you pose for the picture, then they would have the dolphin do it again for us to get a picture. They were really nice about it. (At the end, they extended our dolphin encounter and even let us doing the manatees as well). :D

When we were there, they had a set price of $130 for ALL pictures. This included as many pictures on a CD that had you in it. Just know the photographer not only takes the picture of each individual during the swim, encounter, but they also take random pictures while you're in the water with everyone. So if you are in the picture (along with anyone else-strangers), you will get those pictures too. ;)

They have refined their picture process somewhat. I pd. $110 for all of the pictures of only my son and I on the CD and some of the dolphins with no people in them.

They are great pics.

For the person worried about her little one, check the website. There is an age limit and if you have a young child they may have to be accompanied by an adult.

Archived