Alaska - Princess or HAL

newhawaiicruiser

I have only ever cruised Princess so have no comparisons to offer. I have cruised r/t Seattle twice and had a wonderful time both cruises. I have cruised on the Golden twice (once to Hawaii and once to the MR) and she is a wonderful ship, IMO.

Princess has had a large presence In AK for a number of years, and offers a great Ak experience. Both of my cruises were excellent. The presence of an onboard naturalist adds so much to one's AK awareness and overall experience. When we went the last time, the naturalist was Libby Riddles, the Iditarod Dogsled Race winner, and she was very knowledgeable and interesting.

No matter what, you'll have a great cruise as they are both excellent cruise lines in Alaska. There are pluses and minus' to both so it's a matter of personal preference. I'm Elite on Princess and a 3-star Mariner on HAL and wouldn't hesitate to book either. HAL has fewer activities and entertainment at night, Princess has a good selection. HAL has full room service menus and you can even order off the dinner menu no matter what cabin type you're in, Princess has a limited menu. HAL cabins have a small couch and table plus most cabins have a tub/shower, Princess has more storage but smaller "living" area in the cabin and a small shower.

I think you'd be happy with either line. :)

Thanks so much for the replies. For those that have been on both, how does the food in the main dining rooms compare?
Food is very subjective but in my experience, the food and service has been better on Princess. HAL has some "always available" options but they're just entrees; Princess has shrimp cocktail and Caesar salad always available and their pastas are far superior. I prefer the Princess soup as well. But food doesn't decide my cruise for me as I can always find something to eat. I've found it much easier to order off-menu or entree modifications on Princess than HAL. For instance, I often have the tenderloin and ask for Bearnaise sauce or a baked potato with my entree on Princess but get looks when I do on HAL. HAL's dinner in the buffet is much better but it closes up tighter than a drum at 8:00pm.

I have done both. PCL is nice, but HAL has bigger bathrooms, and a tub in regular balcony cabins. PCL has tiny bathrooms.

Food is similar, but I lean toweard HAL. PCL has more activities.

Sometimes the differences are in the particular ship and not the line itself.

Find what is important to you, and choose that line. For me, it's cabins and food. :)

Pat

Speaking of tubs in the HAL bathrooms, I personally don't like them. The reason being that they have very high sides and if the ship is rocking 'n rolling, it can be a challenge getting out of the tub when you're wet and slippery if you are older and less mobile.

We were also on the Westerdam last summer and had a great time. it is a really nice ship. We are going again this summer but this time on the Star Princess. We try to focus on the positives, and both lines have lots of those. I would look at where you are getting the best deal and the itinerary you want. :)

From the perspective of itinerary (both cruise lines are great), I'd hate to miss Sitka, so beautiful but a tendered port. Obviously tendering can become more of a challenge with age. Some lines no longer go to Sitka as locals refuse to build dock which they say will harm scenery and fishery's.

In my opinion, one of the must see areas of Alaska that retains its' Russian flavor and heritage. Quite distinct compared to other areas which still have their own unique offerings. Something to consider ?

Without knowing anything about you or your mother, hard to judge what you'd like. As my mother aged, she moved from choosing Princess to being steadfastly pro-HAL. In my experience, HAL is a little more formal, the service more subservient, and skews older...or at least feels older, regardless of the demographics. Mom liked HAL's fresh flowers everywhere, but that wouldn't rank in my top 100 reasons to choose a ship.

I liked the Westerdam, but at that time had nothing to compare it to.

Archived