First days at sea from NJ??

bluecruise1

What temperature can I expect it to be inside the ship on our first few days leaving NJ in February? I know this may be a silly question but I've never left from NJ before in the winter ... and I'm packing for myself and 2 teenage daughters! Will be it warm enough for shorts or do we need pants? And can anyone tell me when we can expect it to warm up outside? It's 3 days at sea until St. Maarten - we know it'll be pool weather by day 3 but what about the weather on day 2? Help!!

This is our third cruise out of NJ and 2 in March. It will be chilly the first day (of course) 2nd day husband went in the pool last year, I sat around the pool in shorts. Still to chilly for me. Make sure you bring a hoodie or light jacket for day 2.

Sharon;)

What temperature can I expect it to be inside the ship on our first few days leaving NJ in February? I know this may be a silly question but I've never left from NJ before in the winter ... and I'm packing for myself and 2 teenage daughters! Will be it warm enough for shorts or do we need pants? And can anyone tell me when we can expect it to warm up outside? It's 3 days at sea until St. Maarten - we know it'll be pool weather by day 3 but what about the weather on day 2? Help!!

Inside temperatures are pretty constant regardless of when and where you are sailing and unless you are going to venture outside, shorts should be fine for daytime wear. I wouldn't expect to be anywhere that the weather is warm until the second sea day but since this has been a relatively mild weather it is possible that temperatures will be more moderate by mid or late afternoon of the day after you sail. Forecasts for at least one day this week in the Boston area are for temperatures in the 50s which, while not warm, are certainly more pleasant than one might ordinarily expect for late January, early February. Before you leave, check the temperature forecasts for the Bahamas or southern Florida and that might give you some idea of what to expect by day 2. Remember that a sea breeze can make it feel cooler even in the tropics. We are sailing out of Bayonne on February 10th and have the same questions.

Thanks to both of you for the info. It'll make packing a lot easier if we need mostly warm weather clothes! And of course pants, etc for ice skating on our first full day at sea. (I think even the warmer than usual winter will have us inside that day. :))

Well the weather here in NY/Nj had been very strange lately. It been bouncing around between 20 degrees for low and high as 60 degrees. I would just take one set outfit of winter clothes. Long sleeves, long pant, heavy sweatshirt, hats that won't get blown away. When you return you can put those on that last day of disembarkation.

I did that exact same thing back in 2008. I was freezing but only outside on top deck for about half hour to go under the bridge. After that everyone is inside because it got way colder and it was dark. The next day i was mostly in short because the ship pass the Norfolk, Va area. That is when you start getting warmer air. When we came back i use the same outfit that is for winter. I hope i help you in decision making.

We had a cruise leaving out of Bayonne during March. First day it was cold (medium jacket) and incredibly breezy to the point where you could hardly be outside once we left land. Second day it was nice, not too hot, but warm enough to sit by the pool. Then it would get cold and breezy at night where we needed a light jacket or wrap.

Archived