Do you ever move "chair hogs" things and then take their chairs?

palmbaytish

On our last cruise my son was in the hot tub and I found a chair directly behind the pool so I could watch him. There was another chair beside me and there was a bad wind out. I didnt see anything on the chair but then again I wasnt watching. My son came out of the pool and sat down beside me on the chair. All of a sudden this guy came running out yelling at us. Said 'this is my chair where is my stuff'. Ahhh I Didnt see anything on the chair so i said it must have been moved or blew away. Now mind you i had been sitting there for at least 45 minutes by this time because my son had gone to get a ice cream cone and was back eating at this time. I didnt notice but the guy had tied his shirt to the leg of the chair and my son's dripping bathing suit had gotten it wet. You would have thought we had poured acid on his clothes. He called me an idiot and a horrible parent then grabbed his stuff and went back to the hot tub. I just sat there. Like honestly who is going to yell at a child?????

First of all I'm not going to stand there and watch a chair for 30 minutes to see if someone is going to come back. Second of all I am not going to do the crew's job for them. I don't need a chair right by the pool, the sun shines just as strongly elsewhere;).

This. Granted, this cruise will be my first, but why do you have to have a chair right by the pool...? I can understand if you want to keep an eye on your stuff and make sure no one jacks it if you take a dip... but is there another reason?

That may or may not be true.

But people in the area told me know

one had been in these chairs for

over an hour.

I actually did point them (a spainish couple)

to a sign that said chairs can not be held for

more then 30 minutes. Then I said that must

be why their stuff was moved. Their stuff

a towel, and a book was only moved two

feet in front of the chairs they were saving..

I would rather see chair hogs than see someone who would do this to someone else. Why not simply tell the person that you moved their stuff because there is no seat saving. I am guessing that the people who were giggling with you really thought you were rude and just too cowardly to tell you.

My question is do we have the right to move their items and use their chairs at any point,

Absolutely!

Despite JH's assertions to the contrary, the staff will do NOTHING about this.

This. Granted, this cruise will be my first, but why do you have to have a chair right by the pool...? I can understand if you want to keep an eye on your stuff and make sure no one jacks it if you take a dip... but is there another reason?

personally, i like to have an eye on my kids while they are swimming.

• 2 months later...

I think people here on CC are all talk. Not as many people just move the hogs' stuff and sit in the chair. We all want too, but most people want to avoid confrontation. We are on vacation.

Now that you think about it, always "big talk" goin' on at CC.

Absolutely. There's usually a sign on deck that states the amount of time you can 'hold' chairs... 30 minutes or something? After that I move the people's stuff and point to the sign when they get back. I have never had anyone get upset with me for doing it... yet.

There are plenty of seats on the ship for everyone. You may just have to go to a higher deck or towards the forward or rear. I reserve seats, grab breakfast, and do some other stuff. I always check back within 30 minutes.

Someone might say they have not seen me around, but I have been there sat in the chairs, and left.

I have obeyed every rule carnival has, and you/they have no right to touch my stuff.

Hmmm. Chill out! Didn't see a single post where someone "obeying every rule" should think that anyone posting here would "touch your stuff." (Or for that matter-take your chair.)

If you piss off the wrong person, they will throw you out of that chair no problem.

There was one knucklehead intarweb tough guy here who admitted he would physically dump another person out of an occupied chair.

Every time I see tough talking guys like that, I picture this guy behind the words typed.

1pf1pt.jpg

LMAO talking about being a tough talker here on CC. The bigger the tough guy threat the softer the weenie the person probably is.

Towel mover vs person dumper. I wonder who is talking the most crap.

I wouldn't touch other peoples property but I would have staff move it instead. Not because I am worried about a drunk dooffy on superman juice (I am confident I can hold my own in most cases) I just dont want to have to deal with a troglodyte like that if I dont have too. What the point of dealing with mentally unstable roid ragers anyway.

Clearly the guy in this video doesn't remove anything, he just complains and posts it on YouTube.

Well he did comment ".... I am one of those people who would rather complain in the dark than make it worse by complaining out in the open. Im sort of a wimp that way."

Dude is honest and I can respect that.

Chair hoggers are selfish big time, but moving someones stuff is just as rude and is asking for trouble. Its suppose to be a vacation, we deal with enough jerks every day in the real world, that's one of the reasons people go on a cruise. Everyone should just respect each other. It does stink that the staff does not deal with this. Seems like the cruise lines need to wake up and enforce the rules. Last thing I want to see while on a cruise is two idiots fighting over chairs, talk about childish.

If you are in the pool area and in the hot tub you can tell by the things that are on the chair PLus there is a water trail around that area. A chair hoggers are the ones that come out at the crack of dawn and put a towel on one, a book on another a bottle of lotion on another chair, etc, Then leave for breakfast or go back to bed. I DO THINK that the pool attentances should do something about it.

I wait 1/2 hour then ask people in the area then just move the things and give them to the pool towel guy. and move the chair. I always travel with me and my husband but only get one chair because you husband walks around so I dont even hold a chair for him.

There are signs posted in the pool area and also in the lounge where alot of people try to save seats.

We are early risers, DH likes to take pics and we enjoy when the ship is empty so we are there as they are bringing out the fresh coffee. We see this often occur and I have to admit I am a bad girl from time to time and get a little bored while he is shooting pics. I have been known to wait long enough to know they arent coming back then I go by and pick each item up and put it all on one chair in the middle. If you look at the items it is one persons belonginds not 10 trust me. Half the time these folks are hung over and in their pajamas out there at 630 doing this. First time we witnessed it DH thought I was making it up. LOL then he saw her come back with a few more things and take 4 more chairs, she was counting them and everything

Not on the Imagination! All the ships need deck attendants like they have on that ship! If someone came in looking for a chair, the deck attendant knew exactly who was on the deck but in the hot tub, who had stepped up to talk to someone else in another location, who ran to get iced tea - and who left without letting him know what was going on or who left and didn't come back within about 20 minutes. If that happened and someone was looking for a chair, he'd just fold up the towels of the "hogs", folding their belongings neatly inside and put them in a bin behind his "desk". Then he watched to make sure there were no confrontations when the hogs returned by heading them off at the pass with their stuff in hand - he was AMAZING! And, YES - I tipped him! Great service, great experience, and they could definitely take notes on the Lido deck!

That's good to hear. I love the Imagination. It has always been such a well run ship.

I think people here on CC are all talk. Not as many people just move the hogs' stuff and sit in the chair. We all want too, but most people want to avoid confrontation. We are on vacation.

Now that you think about it, always "big talk" goin' on at CC.

LOL>> you may be right

I have never moved anything off any chairs

I think some people want to be by the main pool to watch their kids, so they notice this more.

We are early risers, DH likes to take pics and we enjoy when the ship is empty so we are there as they are bringing out the fresh coffee. We see this often occur and I have to admit I am a bad girl from time to time and get a little bored while he is shooting pics. I have been known to wait long enough to know they arent coming back then I go by and pick each item up and put it all on one chair in the middle. If you look at the items it is one persons belonginds not 10 trust me. Half the time these folks are hung over and in their pajamas out there at 630 doing this. First time we witnessed it DH thought I was making it up. LOL then he saw her come back with a few more things and take 4 more chairs, she was counting them and everything

I actually did the same thing two mornings on a row. I just moved the towels to the bar area. The staff saw me do it and laughed. I was there for hours and saw not one person come looking for theri towel. However on the third morning I saw a couple of women stay up on deck who had been towel droppers earlier. It was a port day anyway and I value my hide just the way it is so I moved nothing from then on.

I will clear a seat if I am sure that no one is actually using it. I don't care, you cannot save a lounger just in case you may want sun/shade/to watch a game/ listen to the band (DJ)/your child may go into the hot tub/ whatever. If you want to sit then by all means sit. Otherwise let everyone else get a chance to sit.

I use the pool and the hot tubs and I go and get food while using a lounger. I do not just leave a towel, I leave my flippies and my book and beach bag etc. I do not take valuables up on deck and leave them :eek:. I think people can tell my lounger is an occupied one as opposed to a hogged one.

I go by and pick each item up and put it all on one chair in the middle.

:eek:

I am shocked and more than just a little pissed off that I didn't think of this sooner. This could become a sport, if not a down right movement. Next cruise I'm going to see how many chairs I can set free before breakfast. Can't wait!

I actually did the same thing two mornings on a row. I just moved the towels to the bar area. The staff saw me do it and laughed. I was there for hours and saw not one person come looking for theri towel. However on the third morning I saw a couple of women stay up on deck who had been towel droppers earlier. It was a port day anyway and I value my hide just the way it is so I moved nothing from then on.

I will clear a seat if I am sure that no one is actually using it. I don't care, you cannot save a lounger just in case you may want sun/shade/to watch a game/ listen to the band (DJ)/your child may go into the hot tub/ whatever. If you want to sit then by all means sit. Otherwise let everyone else get a chance to sit.

I use the pool and the hot tubs and I go and get food while using a lounger. I do not just leave a towel, I leave my flippies and my book and beach bag etc. I do not take valuables up on deck and leave them :eek:. I think people can tell my lounger is an occupied one as opposed to a hogged one.

We had this experience as well I only did it once that trip and the next morning I saw someone stay and watch for a bit before she left..... as I say we are always up early and we stay on the upper back decks of the ships generally ...we love the wake....so we usually get breakfast early (7 or 730) and layout then and we usually never see anyone that has had all these chairs taken and we dont go in til around 11 or 12. I move one or two if nothing open where we want to sit and we sit and enjoy.

Archived