Do you ever move "chair hogs" things and then take their chairs?

palmbaytish

We ALL have had the experiences with the chair hogs. My question is do we have the right to move their items and use their chairs at any point, if after waiting for someone to show up (and they usually dont) and only if the crew members do nothing about it?

I have no problem in getting up if you were to come back to your chair wanting to use it if you had been in the hot tub or the pool, but I have a feeling some people might get pissed of it "their" chairs were being used.

I was just wondering the proper etiquette.

absolutely we move them. If they have been gone for more than 30 minutes or people sitting near there say they haven't seen them, then their stuff gets moved. Especially if it is just a book or something that is obviously only to hold a place for someone nowhere near the pool. If they come back, just play dumb and act like someone else must have moved it.

If there is an empty chair in an area where you'd like to be, use that instead! You can always ask a neighbor of the chair in question if anyone is USING the chair....they'll let you know! If they say "No.", then get the pool attendant to clear the chair...you shouldn't move anything more than a towel!

Most nearby folks will tell you if someone is sitting there, or if the offending items have been there for hours!

you can also go to security area or towel booth area and tell them the person has not sat there for over 30 minutes etc and to please remove the items so you may enjoy your cruise too

I told security once and the looked horrified and did nothing......

My solution, just move the chair.......it works and i have not had a problem...

Of course we move their stuff. How else are we going to get a chair?!?

I get up to the pool deck somewhat early... 9:30am or so. There's usually almost NO ONE around, and yet, many, MANY chairs are "taken" with a worn and tattered paperback book, an empty bottle of sunscreen, a worn-out flip-flop, a towel.

I have no issues with moving someone's stuff when they are "holding" a chair and yet no where to be found.

My DH and I are early risers. We often see people get up early. put stuff on the chairs and then go back to bed. The chairs are still empty at 10 a.m.... whether we need the chairs or not, this is just RUDE. People have got to get over the "me first, me only" attitude-it works when you are in your back yard, but not when there are another 1000 people around you. If we need a chair later, we move their stuff. Not someone else's, but the person who just had to hold chairs for 5 hours before using them.:D

I just move their stuff. If they come back I just tell

them someone from the crew removed them.

They can spend all their time trying to find the

crew member who moved their stuff.

However, since no crew member did move their stuff,

they will never find them.

I did this last month on RCCL. Everyone in

the area got a chuckle out of this person

trying to find that crew member that did not exist..

My DH and I are early risers. We often see people get up early. put stuff on the chairs and then go back to bed. The chairs are still empty at 10 a.m.... whether we need the chairs or not, this is just RUDE. People have got to get over the "me first, me only" attitude-it works when you are in your back yard, but not when there are another 1000 people around you. If we need a chair later, we move their stuff. Not someone else's, but the person who just had to hold chairs for 5 hours before using them.:D
I like your way of thinking!

Funny how there are no chair hogs on Cruise Critic. I guess they all go to some other cruise site.:rolleyes:

LOL so true.

I have been known to move stuff. I usually ask the people around, but when I witnessed one of those early morning birds saving chairs and going back to bed, I didn't hesitate to move their towels when my family came two hours later and needed a chair. I am not talking about them saving a a few chairs, I mean they saved two rows of chairs. Jerks!

At a deck party on our last cruise, I got up from my chair for a dance (I swear one dance). The lady next to me and I took turns saving each other's chair to get drinks from the bar, food every now and then and a dance once in awhile. I left my drink and sweater in the chair. No sooner than I got on the dance floor than I turned around to some guy arguing with the poor woman that he was taking my chair. LOL I guess I am a chair hog, but I went over and plopped down in my chair and said sorry this seat is taken. He proceeded to tell me how rude I was. My reply was... Oh well, Call me a chairhog I guess. He glared at me the rest of the night. Hope it was none of you LOL.

we were once on a MSC ship & chose two chairs on the upper deck that were not saved.So we sat on them & 10 min. later a older man came along and said that we were in their chairs.The chairs did not even have a towel on them.I told him tough luck.So he sat a couple of chairs away & stared at us for a long time.A couple of hours later we had enough sun & we going to a shaded area.Just about then a young couple were walking by looking for chairs & we offered them ours.You should have seem that old guys face.Priceless.

I don't consider myself a "chair hog" at all. I'll select an open chair and then get into the pool or hot tub...But YES I do leave stuff on the chair. I don't know what else you're supposed to do with it? You can't swim with a "towel", hearing aids, glasses...etc. I'm never far away unless I stepped off for the facilities or to get a drink. Of course I often pick a chair not the pool edge thus leaving it open for those that want to sit on the edge.

I just need a place to keep my "stuff" dry.

HOWEVER...If you do decide to move someone's stuff be aware that they may have important objects concealed in their shoes, towels pockets of cover ups etc. I can't swim with my aids but I hear very very poorly with out them so they're usually in a box in my shoes or something. Never put anything on the ground where it can get damaged.

:mad: I DID have one woman walk up and decide on MY chair and she started to move my stuff to the "ground" I walked up to her and said "can I help you..." She feigned "oh...is this your chair?"..."Well...YES my stuff is ON that chair and I'd appreciate it if you didn't move it to the ground. My hearing aids are in the shoe..." she got all embarrassed and dashed off. I actually was getting ready to leave but I stayed just out of spite. There were plenty of OTHER chairs I think she had a friend nearby that's why she wanted mine.

If you are in the pool area and in the hot tub you can tell by the things that are on the chair PLus there is a water trail around that area. A chair hoggers are the ones that come out at the crack of dawn and put a towel on one, a book on another a bottle of lotion on another chair, etc, Then leave for breakfast or go back to bed. I DO THINK that the pool attentances should do something about it.

I wait 1/2 hour then ask people in the area then just move the things and give them to the pool towel guy. and move the chair. I always travel with me and my husband but only get one chair because you husband walks around so I dont even hold a chair for him.

There are signs posted in the pool area and also in the lounge where alot of people try to save seats.

There are plenty of seats on the ship for everyone. You may just have to go to a higher deck or towards the forward or rear. I reserve seats, grab breakfast, and do some other stuff. I always check back within 30 minutes.

Someone might say they have not seen me around, but I have been there sat in the chairs, and left.

I have obeyed every rule carnival has, and you/they have no right to touch my stuff.

I just move their stuff. If they come back I just tell

them someone from the crew removed them.

They can spend all their time trying to find the

crew member who moved their stuff.

However, since no crew member did move their stuff,

they will never find them.

I did this last month on RCCL. Everyone in

the area got a chuckle out of this person

trying to find that crew member that did not exist..

I would rather see chair hogs than see someone who would do this to someone else. Why not simply tell the person that you moved their stuff because there is no seat saving. I am guessing that the people who were giggling with you really thought you were rude and just too cowardly to tell you.

First of all I'm not going to stand there and watch a chair for 30 minutes to see if someone is going to come back. Second of all I am not going to do the crew's job for them. I don't need a chair right by the pool, the sun shines just as strongly elsewhere;).

Funny how there are no chair hogs on Cruise Critic. I guess they all go to some other cruise site.:rolleyes:

People also do plenty of talking, but I have never seen anyone just move stuff from chairs with others possessions on it.

Also like I said on the last thread on this subject.

You all sound real brave here, but you better pretty careful who's stuff you move.

If you piss off the wrong person, they will throw you out of that chair no problem.

And no, security will most likely do nothing but stand there and act like nothing happened...

There are plenty of seats on the ship for everyone. You may just have to go to a higher deck or towards the forward or rear. I reserve seats, grab breakfast, and do some other stuff. I always check back within 30 minutes.

Someone might say they have not seen me around, but I have been there sat in the chairs, and left.

I have obeyed every rule carnival has, and you/they have no right to touch my stuff.

let the chair hogs go to the upper decks.

and it's very easy to distinguish a chair that's been occupied, and one that's been chogged, except for those that figured that out.

This is exactly the description of a chair hog. I would move your stuff in a heart beat. You cant "reserve seats" & that is exactly what you said you were doing! (I just SMH at some people)

First of all I'm not going to stand there and watch a chair for 30 minutes to see if someone is going to come back. Second of all I am not going to do the crew's job for them. I don't need a chair right by the pool, the sun shines just as strongly elsewhere;).

Chair saving has become a big problem on the serenity decks on Carnival... just this weekend I moved stuff from 2 chairs. When they came back, the girl said... "oh I had saved 6 chairs" My husband and I just laughed and said, well... according to all these people around here you haven't been here in several hours and we wanted to enjoy the sun! Surprisingly they were pleasant about it... I think more shocked that the had the guts to actually move their stuff.

I had a run-in with the chair hog on my Liberty cruise. We got back on board from Grand Cayman and went up to Lido to grab a Guys burger. It was me and my 2 girls. They were ahead of me in line so they went scouting for chairs. Mind you, it's about 5pm. They went ahead and found 2 chairs together but they couldn't find a 3rd. When I met up with them and with my plate, I looked around and next to us were 2 chairs with wet towels on them. I picked up one of the towel and put it on the other empty chair and started dragging it over so I can sit and eat.

Well, this woman, who was in a group of 6-8 people got up and started SCREAMING at me that I was taking her boy's chair. I told her no one is sitting in it and she SCREAMED that they are coming back.

So I had to go clear across the other side of the deck and drag a chair so I can finally sit down and eat my now cold Guy burger. We sat there over a half hour and her boys NEVER showed up. Finally, the group got up, grabbed the towels and left, obviously to get ready for dinner as it was well past 6:00 by now.

I was so pissed, my kids were mortified but I told him that lady had no right keeping those chairs. Even explaining it to my girls, they were still mortified and thought I was wrong.

Chair saving has become a big problem on the serenity decks on Carnival... just this weekend I moved stuff from 2 chairs. When they came back, the girl said... "oh I had saved 6 chairs" My husband and I just laughed and said, well... according to all these people around here you haven't been here in several hours and we wanted to enjoy the sun! Surprisingly they were pleasant about it... I think more shocked that the had the guts to actually move their stuff.

Not on the Imagination! All the ships need deck attendants like they have on that ship! If someone came in looking for a chair, the deck attendant knew exactly who was on the deck but in the hot tub, who had stepped up to talk to someone else in another location, who ran to get iced tea - and who left without letting him know what was going on or who left and didn't come back within about 20 minutes. If that happened and someone was looking for a chair, he'd just fold up the towels of the "hogs", folding their belongings neatly inside and put them in a bin behind his "desk". Then he watched to make sure there were no confrontations when the hogs returned by heading them off at the pass with their stuff in hand - he was AMAZING! And, YES - I tipped him! Great service, great experience, and they could definitely take notes on the Lido deck!

Archived