St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Antigua & St. Martin with active 5 year old - what to do?

tikcho

We will be doing a Southern Caribbean cruise next month with my very active 5-year old and I would appreciate recommendations from other parents. My son loves the beach but also loves unique activities like dolphins, monkeys, easy zip lines, etc.

St. Lucia - i was thinking of doing the aerial tram and then beach time. Has anyone done this, what is a good beach for kids?

St. Kitts and Antigua- except beaches is there anything else fun to do with a kid?

St. Martin - we have been there many times and mostly gone to different beaches because my son was younger. Now we are ready to do some activities but could not find any suitable for kids.

Any ideas/recommendations would be highly appreciated.

I have been to those island w/o my son- we are taking him in 2013 so I don't really have any recommendations except:

I would def recommend Maho Beach in St Maarten to see the jumbo jets landing- I know my 5 year old would be beside himself:D

We were in St Maartin last year and had a great time wandering around the downtown area with our boys who were 3 and 5.5 at the time. There is a small Star Wars museum within walking distance of the port owned by a person involved in designing the original characters. Our boys are Star Wars crazy, so this was a big deal to them. I have a great photo of DS1 posing with Yoda ;) We then went to some of the shops, got some wonderful truffles from a Belgian chocolate shop and basically just wandered around. The sidewalks and roads were narrow, but the vehicles move slowly so we had no concerns about both boys walking around in this area. We thought of going to Maho beach, but DS1 is sensitive to loud noises, so opted against that.

I did see lots of taxis with seatbelts, so it would be easy to use a car seat or booster, if that is a concern to you.

We will be doing a Southern Caribbean cruise next month with my very active 5-year old and I would appreciate recommendations from other parents. My son loves the beach but also loves unique activities like dolphins, monkeys, easy zip lines, etc.

St. Lucia - i was thinking of doing the aerial tram and then beach time. Has anyone done this, what is a good beach for kids?

St. Kitts and Antigua- except beaches is there anything else fun to do with a kid?

St. Martin - we have been there many times and mostly gone to different beaches because my son was younger. Now we are ready to do some activities but could not find any suitable for kids.

Any ideas/recommendations would be highly appreciated.

The last time we were in St Lucia we had my grandkids with us, 5 YO, 3 YO and 2 YO. We arranged a private tour that started with a van ride about the island, toured the volcano - although the 2 YO slept through that and the 5 YO didn't much care for the smell, then on to a lunch at the guide's home ending with a fast speed boat ride back to the ship. The last ride was really fun. The 3 YO loved the fast boat ride so much. She was up in front bouncing, bouncing, bouncing and we look over and she's fallen asleep with the smile still on her face. It was one of those priceless moments.

For St Kitts, all the kids (young and old) enjoyed the train ride. Not cheap, but you see a good portion of the island, get a nice overview of the place and people, a drink while circling and all the little kids come out to wave as you pass by.

The only port I have in common with you is St. Maarten, but we are taking our 5 year old on Bernard's tour. It has a beach stop, some off and on site seeing, and Maho Beach so he can see the airplanes.

Hope this helps.

Archived