Jem or Star? Help me decide!

Katar

Hello all, we are looking at booking a 7-day Bermuda cruise out of NY with NCL sometime in April/May 2012. There are two NCL ships leaving NYC on April 29, both followoing identical itinerary: Norwegian Jem and Norwegian Star. Being veteran NCL cruisers (this will be our #8) but not never sailing on either of these ships, we are having a hard time picking one over the other and could use some advise. Also Star seems to be a bit more expensive than the Gem and I am curious to know the reason for this

A few words about us: A well traveled couple in late 30s-mid 40s traveling with a 2yo DD (this will be her 3rd cruise but the first one where she is qualified for the Kids Club). DD is very active, so having LOTS of physical activities (such as a larger than average kiddie pool, space to roam, etc.) is paramount. Other than that we are very easy to please and know exactly what to expect from NCL and from Bermuda. So, what which ship would you recommend and why?

All else being equal, I would take the Gem, only because I like layout of the ship better than the Star. There are slightly more dining options available on the Gem, and the pool area is a bit nicer. Gem also has a bowling alley, Star does not. Blue Lagoon is much nicer on the Gem.

That being said, they are both very nice ships.

I have sailed the Star, not the Gem but the Pearl, which is much like the Gem.

It is all about the Spa for me. I feel the Gem and Pearl (being alike) have a much better spa.

The kids area on the Star is smaller than on the Gem. The Star appears to have a bigger kids pool.

What is important to you in amenities?

There is a big difference in the itineraries for the Gem and the Star, there is only one Bermuda trip this year on the Gem and it is a 6 day trip with only 2 days in Bermuda (instead of 3 days in Bermuda on the 7 day Star trips). It is also in April and the weather will be still on the cool side in both NY and in Bermuda and not warm enough to swim, and that is a big deal for us. That is why we are sailing on the Star, and the only reason. We love the Gem, and hands down we think it is a nicer ship overall.

http://www2.ncl.com/itinerary?N=0&Nu=p_Key&key=GEM6NYCWRFNYC&TB_iframe=true&width=934&height=526&name=itinerary_map

That is less than 24 hours in Bermuda.

Here is the Star

http://www2.ncl.com/itinerary?N=0&Nu=p_Key&key=STAR7NYCWRFNYC&TB_iframe=true&width=934&height=526&name=itinerary_map

There is a big difference in the itineraries for the Gem and the Star, there is only one Bermuda trip this year on the Gem and it is a 6 day trip with only 2 days in Bermuda (instead of 3 days in Bermuda on the 7 day Star trips). It is also in April and the weather will be still on the cool side in both NY and in Bermuda and not warm enough to swim, and that is a big deal for us. That is why we are sailing on the Star, and the only reason. We love the Gem, and hands down we think it is a nicer ship overall.

http://www2.ncl.com/itinerary?N=0&Nu=p_Key&key=GEM6NYCWRFNYC&TB_iframe=true&width=934&height=526&name=itinerary_map

That is less than 24 hours in Bermuda.

Actually, the April 29th sailing on the Star docs at King's Warf for 3 days just like the Gem. Other Star sailing may be different. As for the weather, because of the timing of this cruise we will be arriving in Bermuda in the beginning of May. My research shows that the water is warm enough to swim at that time (in the 70s). Being able to go to the beach and in the water is very important to us. If my temperature data is wrong, please let me know.

Katar ...

Here is a thread you might want to look at ...

The Gem will have a new youth program, starting in late Feb.

They say some other lines are starting to charge for 6 mos to under 3 years. You may want to ask your TA if they know of NCL's new program.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1541870

Have a great cruise ...

Oops, I stand corrected :o I guess we are going with a Gem. Thansk everyone!

You might want to look very closely at the itinerary, the Gem is 6 nights with a one night stay in Bermuda which gets arrives and departs at Noon. (1 short day and a morning). The Star is 7 days with 2 overnights, arriving at 8AM and departing at 5PM. Pretty close to 3 full days in Bermuda. We were planning to do the Gem based on the price, but upon looking at the details we decided we'll book on the Star. Gem does look like a little nicer ship, though.

We just went over this with a client. The Gem is only docked for 24 hours in Bermuda on the six nighter - You arrive at noon on day 4 and leave at noon on day 5. The Star is in port for three days.

While I prefer the Gem, no way would I cruise on an itinerary that had 5 sea days and one in port.

You might want to look very closely at the itinerary, the Gem is 6 nights with a one night stay in Bermuda which gets arrives and departs at Noon. (1 short day and a morning). The Star is 7 days with 2 overnights, arriving at 8AM and departing at 5PM. Pretty close to 3 full days in Bermuda. We were planning to do the Gem based on the price, but upon looking at the details we decided we'll book on the Star. Gem does look like a little nicer ship, though.

We did Bermuda sailings in early June, and years later mid-June, and the water had a chill both times. It's not Caribbean warm at that time. Still, we are going there in mid-June next year on the brand new Breakaway.

Appears to me that Star is larger than Gem, but I do love Gem.

Have fun.

Oops again :o you guys are correct. after discussing this with DW list night, it looks like we'll be booking NCL Star despite the lack of Nickelodeon and not-such-a-good layout of the ship

HANDS DOWN the Star over Gem!!

1) the itinerary - you have longer visit in Bermuda

2) there is a great kiddo space on deck 12 AFT - own pool, 2 small slides, own kiddo whirlpool!!

3) Star has great wide wide promenade on deck 7

4) Star has great pool deck deck 12 with tiers up to 13 and 14. Both Mid and Forward.

I'm sure Star has same kiddo centre as Gem - not sure.

Archived