Attention Dawn Cruisers April 17

seahorse

Just thought I would post the release. Easier than having passengers jump to NCL.com. It will be interesting to see when in fact the Dawn gets back. What a shame. I hope everyone is in fact OK.Things look calm now.

NEWS UPDATE

Miami, Fla., April 16, 2005 - Last night on her return to New York, Norwegian Dawn experienced extremely rough weather. Although the weather had become slightly calmer at daybreak, the ship was hit by a freak wave that caused two windows to break in two different cabins. There was flooding in 62 cabins and four passengers were hurt with cuts and bruises.

The safety and integrity of the ship was in no way compromised by this incident.

Norwegian Dawn will be diverting to Charleston, South Carolina to conduct repairs. The ship will arrive late on Saturday afternoon. Passengers whose cabins were flooded will be flown home from Charleston.

Once repairs are complete, the ship will continue to New York. At this time, the company is unsure of the exact departure time of Norwegian Dawn from Charleston. The earliest the ship can arrive in New York is Monday morning.

Travel agents with passengers on the April 17th cruise are being contacted to inform them of the delay. NCL has set up a special number, 1-800-625-5672 for passengers to call for updates. In addition, updates will be posted on the Web site.

The company will provide updates as they become available.

fullsize.jpg

This is absolutely terrible. I feel very bad for those people cruising next week. And wasn't next week's cruise already starting out bad with some special event on board? Or was that last Sunday? Oh no...just terrible. I hope everyone is OK.

Thanks Jim,

Looks like whatever the "scheduled event" was is not going to take place. The pax will get an extra day too. All that complaining was not worth it, you never know what is going to happen from moment to moment.

Marie, it was a "rouge" wave. Sustained waves are easier to deal with. At least she didn`t have major damage (I hope) like the other ships this past year.

She is a good and sound ship.

This is absolutely terrible. I feel very bad for those people cruising next week. And wasn't next week's cruise already starting out bad with some special event on board? Or was that last Sunday? Oh no...just terrible. I hope everyone is OK.

It was this cruise hustling back to NYC for a 5 am arrival :eek: If it were not for the change the ship and wave whould not have been in the same place at the same time.

Nothing worked out well for anyone, those onboard, those plannning to board on Sunday, and NCL.

Ann,

She is a good sound ship. Everytime we cruise, I always tell my husband that I am always worried about a "rouge wave" as I saw a special on the weather channel one night. He always said, "you worry too much. What chance of that happening and the ship is so large." Well when I told him he just looked at me and said it won't happen again. He knows me well. lol I just hope like cecilia said that everyone is all right. Sometimes things are beyond anyones control. It sure causes a lot of trouble for all involved both on and off the ship.

Hope all people that are involved will be able to deal with in in a way that does not cause too much hardship.

marie

I feel terrible for all. The passangers on board must have been terrified and those planning on boarding tomorrow to have a vacation start out like that. The weather has not been cooperating. Last Saturday night comming back to New York was really rough, there were people sick but it was tolerable. I wish them all well.

Will NCL give the passengers any sort of credit? (The ones flying home) How about the passengers boarding tomorrow? What happens if they are delayed? I feel so bad for everyone on board. All of the planning beforehand...but you can't "plan" a wave.

I just got off the phone with some friends of ours who are on the ship. They are indeed in South Carolina and waiting for the ship to be repaired. They expect to arrive in New York Monday morning. The good news is that since 5pm last night and all day today, OPEN BAR!!! And, they get another night on the ship!

They seem in good spirits and have taken care of all the stuff they need to do because of their delay. I just feel sorry for the people who got flooded out.

He did say it was pretty scary and that they were doing "Hail Mary's" for a while, but all is well and they are being taken care of.

Their whole itinerary, of course, was shot. They were in Port Canaveral on Tuesday, Great Stirrup Cay on Wednesday and spent from 8am Thursday to 1am Friday in Miami.

So, they said they feel like their car got broken and they are stranded at the gas station until it's fixed, but they had a great time!

Will NCL give the passengers any sort of credit? (The ones flying home) How about the passengers boarding tomorrow? What happens if they are delayed? I feel so bad for everyone on board. All of the planning beforehand...but you can't "plan" a wave.

From the those that have posted. They are being taken care of.

Good afternoon fellow CCers!

I'm a 4/17 cruiser. This is just terrible news. I'm upset at losing a day on my cruise, but even more upset for all the 4/10 cruisers that went through this terrible ordeal. My thoughts are with them.

I've decided not to change my plans and will fly in to NYC tomorrow morning; I've booked a hotel room and then it's the waiting game.

(I have a feeling that my cellphone bill is going to be HUGE this month ;))

Julie :)

My condolences to everyone on the ship, everyone set to board tomorrow and all the loved ones that were worried. I am shocked to hear this. Especially as we were on the 3/27 Dawn cruise. Many vetern cruisers we were w/ thought those waves were among the worst they've ever experienced. I can't imagine what this was like. I hope everyone is doing ok and there won't be too much hardship from this "freak wave".

I am on the ship that leaves tomorrow. Ncl is giving a $200 shipboard credit. Does not seem like anything compared to what 1 day of sailing costs. There are 4 of us. Does this sound right?

I have trip delay insurance will that cover it?

I am upset for the people currently on board and hope they are fine. Safe Home!

Just wanted to let everyone know I just received an email from NCl that says the Norwegian Dawn was hit by a freak wave. Here is the whole email.

Norwegian Dawn News Update

Last night on her return to New York, Norwegian Dawn experienced extremely rough weather. Although the weather had become slightly calmer at daybreak, the ship was hit by a freak wave that caused two windows to break in two different cabins. There was flooding in 62 cabins and four passengers were hurt with cuts and bruises.

The safety and integrity of the ship was in no way compromised by this incident.

Norwegian Dawn will be diverting to Charleston, South Carolina to conduct repairs. The ship will arrive late on Saturday afternoon. Passengers whose cabins were flooded will be flown home from Charleston.

Once repairs are complete, the ship will continue to New York. At this time, the company is unsure of the exact departure time of Norwegian Dawn from Charleston. The earliest the ship can arrive in New York is Monday morning.

Travel agents with passengers on the April 17th cruise are being contacted to inform them of the delay. NCL has set up a special number, 1-800-625-5672 for passengers to call for updates. In addition, updates will be posted on the Web site.

The company will provide updates as they become available.

Sincerely,

JC

Archived