Wine help please :)

Beppevroomvroom

HI,

I'm new to these forums (but not new to cruising - I'm hooked :))

I'm hoping someone can help with my wine query?

My sister and I mostly drink wine on board - usually a bottle in the afternoon when we've had too much sun, then another with dinner. We've always just bought these from the serenity bar and the MDR and we always just buy the house wine (we're Scottish - we'll drink anything :D)

If I remember correctly, we usually pay around $30 per bottle, but I noticed that Bon Voyage has Pinot Grigio for $26

Does anyone know if the BV price really is cheaper than the current house wine price on the Glory?

I've also looked at the wine package offer ($131) but that works out the same as just ordering 5 bottles through BV!

Any advice welcome!

HI,

I'm new to these forums (but not new to cruising - I'm hooked :))

I'm hoping someone can help with my wine query?

My sister and I mostly drink wine on board - usually a bottle in the afternoon when we've had too much sun, then another with dinner. We've always just bought these from the serenity bar and the MDR and we always just buy the house wine (we're Scottish - we'll drink anything :D)

If I remember correctly, we usually pay around $30 per bottle, but I noticed that Bon Voyage has Pinot Grigio for $26

Does anyone know if the BV price really is cheaper than the current house wine price on the Glory?

I've also looked at the wine package offer ($131) but that works out the same as just ordering 5 bottles through BV!

Any advice welcome!

I have no knowledge about the wine prices on board, but remember that you are allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine per person over 21 (must be packed in your carry on bag, not checked luggage) helps save you a few dollars at least :) ..we are bringing a bottle of champagne for those early mimosas ;) Happy Sailing!!!

The packages save you some in regards to if you order the bottles individually (at least thats the way I remember it thinkingback to the first time I saw the package). Makes sense that it would be the same as BV pricing. We have done the middle package the last 4 or 5 cruises and have not regretted it. Congrats on your 1st post here at CC also!

I have no knowledge about the wine prices on board, but remember that you are allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine per person over 21 (must be packed in your carry on bag, not checked luggage) helps save you a few dollars at least :) ..we are bringing a bottle of champagne for those early mimosas ;) Happy Sailing!!!

That's got to be one of my favourite things about Carnival - it's so nice to have a bottle or two ready to pop as soon as you're all settled in to your wee cabin :)

Our two bottles are generally gone by the time we've left Miami behind!

That's got to be one of my favourite things about Carnival - it's so nice to have a bottle or two ready to pop as soon as you're all settled in to your wee cabin :)

Our two bottles are generally gone by the time we've left Miami behind!

A wise lassie :)

Such a small piece of knowledge, but I learned it here on CC :) I know they "tell" you somewhere on Carnival's site but so many people just don't know that...it isn't a significant saving but it helps... When I walk around with my Pepsi (my ADDICTION.. I can't do Coke), I have so many people ask me what bar I got it from and when I tell them I brought it myself they all tell me they never knew it was allowed... I feel so superior!!! lol (jk....sorta)

Thanks everyone!

The link to the bar prices doesn't seem to show the pinot that's available through BV.

I reckon I'll just wait until I board (only 8 weeks to go!!) - once I've had my sail-away bubbles I won't be caring about how much I spend anyway :D

It is on the Main dining room wine price lists:

http://www.*****/Carnival/maindiningroom.html

What's offered through Bon Voyage, through the Wine Packages, in the Main Dining Room, and at the bars onboard will all differ some.

It is on the Main dining room wine price lists:

http://www.*****/Carnival/maindiningroom.html

What's offered through Bon Voyage, through the Wine Packages, in the Main Dining Room, and at the bars onboard will all differ some.

Thanks for that link!

There's Pinot on there for $23 :) so it looks like we wouldn't really save anything by going through BV or buying the package. Might actually be better value to just buy bottles as we need them!

Thanks for that link!

There's Pinot on there for $23 :) so it looks like we wouldn't really save anything by going through BV or buying the package. Might actually be better value to just buy bottles as we need them!

You are correct buying wine through Bon Voyage is basically the same price as in the Main Dining Room (once the 15% gratuity is added on there). The only real benefit for ordering wine through Bon Voyage is to have it in your cabin and all ready for you hopefully when you board or soon after.

The only savings you can get on wine is if you go for one of the wine packages.

You are correct buying wine through Bon Voyage is basically the same price as in the Main Dining Room (once the 15% gratuity is added on there). The only real benefit for ordering wine through Bon Voyage is to have it in your cabin and all ready for you hopefully when you board or soon after.

The only savings you can get on wine is if you go for one of the wine packages.

I ordered a wine package simply because the brands of wine in the wine package appear to be a bit better quality than some offered for about the same price(the price divided by 5) in the main dining room.

I hope the brands are the same when I actually get onboard or all my calculations will be for naught;)

You paid $30.00/bottle AND there was an automatic 15% service charge attached to that bottle.

You could easily purchase a wine package http://www.*****/Carnival/winepackages.html at the lower tier: 5 bottles @ $131.00 which is $26.20/bottle LESS the onboard 15% service charge. My point is - keep in mind that Bon Voyage is not subject to a 15% service charge.

Total savings: Bon Voyage @131.00

On Board: 5 bottles*$30.00=150.00*15% service charge = $172+change - savings = 172-131:$41/per person

Thanks everyone - great tips/advice!

Having looked at the latest Carnival wine list, we would be aiming to order the house pinot which is only $26.45 (inc gratuities).

I'm thinking it might work out a little cheaper to buy the basic wine package before we sail as sometimes they don't have any of the house wine up at serenity bar, so it looks like we could get a more expensive alternative for the same plrice if this was the case :)

Does anyone know if you can you def use the coupons at the serenity bar?

Thanks everyone - great tips/advice!

Having looked at the latest Carnival wine list, we would be aiming to order the house pinot which is only $26.45 (inc gratuities).

I'm thinking it might work out a little cheaper to buy the basic wine package before we sail as sometimes they don't have any of the house wine up at serenity bar, so it looks like we could get a more expensive alternative for the same plrice if this was the case :)

Does anyone know if you can you def use the coupons at the serenity bar?

You can, however, if it premium beverage (top shelf) which is what they mainly have at Serenity, then you will be charged the difference.

Hi. I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer. My husband and I are not big wine drinkers but we would like to order a wine package while on board. We like white or blush slightly sweet wine if we do drink it. Can anyone recommend any wines that carnival offers with their packages? (preferably in the basic Package or mid price range). Thanks!!

A wise lassie :)

Such a small piece of knowledge, but I learned it here on CC :) I know they "tell" you somewhere on Carnival's site but so many people just don't know that...it isn't a significant saving but it helps... When I walk around with my Pepsi (my ADDICTION.. I can't do Coke), I have so many people ask me what bar I got it from and when I tell them I brought it myself they all tell me they never knew it was allowed... I feel so superior!!! lol (jk....sorta)

Too funny - just off the Liberty and I was at the Pizza place getting a slice with my diet Pepsi in hand and the pizza guy was intrigued wondeirng where I got my pepsi as they don't sell that onboard! Even the crew is obviously unaware of this???:rolleyes:

It's been awhile since we've sailed Carnival but one of the reasons we love the Carnival group and are favoring them over RCCL is the liberal alcohol policy. Is it still the case that you can bring aboard some spirits and/or frosty beverages for the stateroom if concealed in your luggage? How stringent are they on the 2 bottles of wine - i.e. could we bring on 2 each without hassle? In the past we've had no issue but I know things change.

Don't get me wrong, we're not alcoholics but enjoy our drinks while getting dressed for dinner and a drink on the balcony. We still contribute to their bottom line in the bars!

It's been awhile since we've sailed Carnival but one of the reasons we love the Carnival group and are favoring them over RCCL is the liberal alcohol policy. Is it still the case that you can bring aboard some spirits and/or frosty beverages for the stateroom if concealed in your luggage? How stringent are they on the 2 bottles of wine - i.e. could we bring on 2 each without hassle? In the past we've had no issue but I know things change.

Don't get me wrong, we're not alcoholics but enjoy our drinks while getting dressed for dinner and a drink on the balcony. We still contribute to their bottom line in the bars!

There are many threads on here about people getting letter that smuggled booze was taken out of their luggage. They have gotten more stringent over the past couple of years. Don't know if you each had 2 in your carry on whether they would catch that. They seem to be catching more and more of items that were attempted to be smuggled in luggage.

Things have definitely changed! They carefully inspected our 2 bottles of wine (one per adult) - and the seals on my 6 pack of San Pellegrino sparking water (looking for broken seals and water replaced with ???).

I did manage to get some of those tiny airplane liquor bottles thru in checked luggage and another 'wine' in a tetra pak - just realize that your smuggled stuff may not get to you and may be removed and returned on the last night!

Hi. I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer. My husband and I are not big wine drinkers but we would like to order a wine package while on board. We like white or blush slightly sweet wine if we do drink it. Can anyone recommend any wines that carnival offers with their packages? (preferably in the basic Package or mid price range). Thanks!!

Beringer White Zinfendel is a very nice, sweet and fruity wine for non-wine drinkers. If you want to try it before you go, its only about $7 a bottle at any store, or costco has 6 packs for $19.99.

Archived