goff caye in belize

bugger83

Couple of pictures of Goff Caye. Take what you need to sit at the beach and maybe some water. The locals came out and set up some souvenir stands and also brought some food for sale. Seems like the food items ran around $15. Sorry but I did not try any.

CarnivalDream24-11005.jpg

CarnivalDream24-11015.jpg

There's a BBQ where they sell lobster for approx $10, hot dogs ($5), grilled chicken ($7). Belikin beer was around $3, soda $2, candy and chips too. Some tours (Island Marketing, Eco Tourism) provide water and rum punch. $5.00 to rent a chair.

There's also some hand made jewelry, crafts for sale.

And you might want to tip the guide too.

• 2 months later...

It looks like Island Marketing does it for $40 per adult and $30 for a child. Eco does it for $45 per adult and $30 for kids. It seems kind of steep for just a boat ride over to the island and no food, chairs or anything included. :eek: :confused: Is this place really worth it?

It looks like Island Marketing does it for $40 per adult and $30 for a child. Eco does it for $45 per adult and $30 for kids. It seems kind of steep for just a boat ride over to the island and no food, chairs or anything included. :eek: :confused: Is this place really worth it?

The snorkeling is supposed to be awesome. The bad part was that we had to go out as a group. You could not snorkel on your own. After about the 3rd time that one of the guides shoved on my DH's shoulder and told him that we needed to catch up and stay with the group, we decided to go back to shore. I have never had a bad day while on a cruise, but I don't think my DH would ever go back there!:rolleyes:

The snorkeling is supposed to be awesome. The bad part was that we had to go out as a group. You could not snorkel on your own. After about the 3rd time that one of the guides shoved on my DH's shoulder and told him that we needed to catch up and stay with the group, we decided to go back to shore. I have never had a bad day while on a cruise, but I don't think my DH would ever go back there!:rolleyes:

Well that sucks. I hate snorkeling as a "group" and like to take my times and take pictures.

Is there any snorkeling to be seen by walking right off the beach in to the water? :confused:

How far do you go out on this "snorkel tour" and how deep is it?

Well that sucks. I hate snorkeling as a "group" and like to take my times and take pictures.

Is there any snorkeling to be seen by walking right off the beach in to the water? :confused:

How far do you go out on this "snorkel tour" and how deep is it?

I was wondering about snorkeling from the beach part also....if I would have known Belize was going to be so difficult I might have picked a different cruise.

We will be bringing 4 kids (17,15,13,9) so we are trying to avoid the long bus ride to the various excursions so cave tubing, zoo and ruins are out. The kids would LOVE to snorkel if they are able to see colorful fish (did this in Grand Cayman last year, but although we saw fish and stingrays, we didn't see many colorfulful fish...like nemo :)). We are not professional snorkelers if you know what I mean, so having to stay with a group doesn't sound like a lot of fun. We didn't have to do this in Grand Cayman last year.

If anyone has any ideas for me, I would great appreciate it at this point because frustration is starting to settle in. :confused: :confused:

I was wondering about snorkeling from the beach part also....if I would have known Belize was going to be so difficult I might have picked a different cruise.

We will be bringing 4 kids (17,15,13,9) so we are trying to avoid the long bus ride to the various excursions so cave tubing, zoo and ruins are out. The kids would LOVE to snorkel if they are able to see colorful fish (did this in Grand Cayman last year, but although we saw fish and stingrays, we didn't see many colorfulful fish...like nemo :)). We are not professional snorkelers if you know what I mean, so having to stay with a group doesn't sound like a lot of fun. We didn't have to do this in Grand Cayman last year.

If anyone has any ideas for me, I would great appreciate it at this point because frustration is starting to settle in. :confused: :confused:

Just so you know, cavetubing is AWESOME and a lot of fun. It doesn't seem like the ride is that long because the tour guides are talking to you the entire time and telling you the history of the island. We had the best guide ever and some great food after the tubing. We got back in PLENTY of time to do shopping and some more pictures. My 3 year old loved it.

If you are interested (and just a thought): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30667696&postcount=44

It was definitely a great and fun-filled day. One we will never forget and are thankful for the experience. My little still talks about it all the time even though we've cruised since then. :D

Couple of pictures of Goff Caye. Take what you need to sit at the beach and maybe some water. The locals came out and set up some souvenir stands and also brought some food for sale. Seems like the food items ran around $15. Sorry but I did not try any.

CarnivalDream24-11005.jpg

CarnivalDream24-11015.jpg

Love your photos! Thanks for posting them! :)

Originally Posted by funfamilyof6 viewpost.gif

Been snorkeling there so many times a few of the people there remember my name when I come. Love going there and last time I took my 10 yr old grandson and he loved it as well. You can go snorkeling right off the beach and it is really good. The guides are good as well. I have never missed having a beach chair. Too busy enjoying the water but I bring a towel from the ship and just lay it on the beach. I think your family will have a great time there. We always do.

Been snorkeling there so many times a few of the people there remember my name when I come. Love going there and last time I took my 10 yr old grandson and he loved it as well. You can go snorkeling right off the beach and it is really good. The guides are good as well. I have never missed having a beach chair. Too busy enjoying the water but I bring a towel from the ship and just lay it on the beach. I think your family will have a great time there. We always do.

Still have to wonder...you said you can snorkel right off the beach and it's good snorkeling, but then you added "the guides are good". So can you just walk off the beach into the water and snorkel yourself or do you have to have guides? As I said before, I don't need a guide (have been snorkeling since the late 80's and prefer to go alone at my own pace to take pictures and observe) and want to be able to just walk in the water and go within a distance. :)

Just so you know, cavetubing is AWESOME and a lot of fun. It doesn't seem like the ride is that long because the tour guides are talking to you the entire time and telling you the history of the island. We had the best guide ever and some great food after the tubing. We got back in PLENTY of time to do shopping and some more pictures. My 3 year old loved it.

If you are interested (and just a thought): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30667696&postcount=44

It was definitely a great and fun-filled day. One we will never forget and are thankful for the experience. My little still talks about it all the time even though we've cruised since then. :D

Originally Posted by funfamilyof6 viewpost.gif

Many thanks to the both of you for the quick reply!

Mitsugirly, how fast do the tubes go in the water while tubing? We go tubing a lot in NY (in rapid water), so my main concern (more than the bus ride) is that the older kids will be bored. I'm sure my youngest would LOVE it. Thanks for any advice given.

I was wondering who you booked with the cave tubing? i looked at your pics and wanted to do this excursion. I have a 6 year old girl and i think she would love it. did you book with carnival or independently? we are going to our cruise on april 21st :) thanks!

Many thanks to the both of you for the quick reply!

Mitsugirly, how fast do the tubes go in the water while tubing? We go tubing a lot in NY (in rapid water), so my main concern (more than the bus ride) is that the older kids will be bored. I'm sure my youngest would LOVE it. Thanks for any advice given.

I've heard that it all depends on the time of year you go. We were there in September and it had rained the week before we were there, but yet the water wasn't too high or rapid. They show you a lot along the way. Some very neat things with the plants and let you "try" things out. They make it so interesting that I don't think any kid would be too bored. But it's not really what I would call a rapid water. They are all about safety and they have someone go down the water prior to taking customers there to make sure that it's safe to go.

I was wondering who you booked with the cave tubing? i looked at your pics and wanted to do this excursion. I have a 6 year old girl and i think she would love it. did you book with carnival or independently? we are going to our cruise on april 21st :) thanks!

We booked with cavetubing .bz and had the tour guide jr who was marvelous. For what all we did that day and the wealth of information they give you on the ride there, along the hike to the caves and the tubing, it was so worth the money (which wasn't a bad price at all). Then ending it at their place for lunch, which the lunch was amazing, yes we had seconds, we were so satisfied with that day. :)

I've heard that it all depends on the time of year you go. We were there in September and it had rained the week before we were there, but yet the water wasn't too high or rapid. They show you a lot along the way. Some very neat things with the plants and let you "try" things out. They make it so interesting that I don't think any kid would be too bored. But it's not really what I would call a rapid water. They are all about safety and they have someone go down the water prior to taking customers there to make sure that it's safe to go.

We booked with cavetubing .bz and had the tour guide jr who was marvelous. For what all we did that day and the wealth of information they give you on the ride there, along the hike to the caves and the tubing, it was so worth the money (which wasn't a bad price at all). Then ending it at their place for lunch, which the lunch was amazing, yes we had seconds, we were so satisfied with that day. :)

We are considering cave-tubing dot com because they carry the tubes for you on the walk to the caves. Did cavetubing dot bz do this for you?

Only my 9 year old hopefully, LOL. :) Thank you for help, I really appreciate it!

Oh yea, especially for kids. They'll carry anyone's tubes that need help (they are not heavy, just bulky) all you have to do is ask (if they don't ask you first).

OK A little in defense of the 'guides'. When we tendered in Belize, the seas were on the rough side. There was also a fairly strong current out towards the reef. When we got to the island they had anyone that wanted to snorkel to get their gear and go right then. I never saw anyone snorkeling later in our stay. On one side of the island the shore line is very rocky and the water was very rough. On the other side was lots of sand and clear water. I would say that the reef or at least the 'good' part of the reef is about a football field away from the beach. About half the way out, you could still find some neat stuff to look at and was about in 5-6ft of water. I prefer places that we can snorkel on our own so this just wasn't our cup of tea. If you should go to Roatan, Tabyana Beach is great for shore snorkeling!

Here is a video of the beach. Where you see the water change colors, that's where some of the reefs are. The place they 'guide' you to is on the other side of the island from where I took the video.

This is a short video of what little bit we got to see before we headed back in.

OK A little in defense of the 'guides'. When we tendered in Belize, the seas were on the rough side. There was also a fairly strong current out towards the reef. When we got to the island they had anyone that wanted to snorkel to get their gear and go right then. I never saw anyone snorkeling later in our stay. On one side of the island the shore line is very rocky and the water was very rough. On the other side was lots of sand and clear water. I would say that the reef or at least the 'good' part of the reef is about a football field away from the beach. About half the way out, you could still find some neat stuff to look at and was about in 5-6ft of water. I prefer places that we can snorkel on our own so this just wasn't our cup of tea. If you should go to Roatan, Tabyana Beach is great for shore snorkeling!

Here is a video of the beach. Where you see the water change colors, that's where some of the reefs are. The place they 'guide' you to is on the other side of the island from where I took the video.

This is a short video of what little bit we got to see before we headed back in.

Great videos...gives me a very realistic idea of what it would be like even if we swam with group. I think I have seen too many Disney movies LOL. :)

We will probably save our snorkling for Roatan and Grand Cayman where we can do snorkeling from the beach and attempt to do Cavetubing or Altun Ha ruins/Holwler monkeys in Belize.

Thanks so much for the clarification and especially the videos. :)

From the looks of the video, it doesn't seem very far at all from the shore where the reef is at. According to where the waves were coming in, it looked very close.

So I know that this island is very small, but didn't realize that there's only a small walkway of sand in that area from one side to the other. :eek: Wow that looks really neat. I wonder if it's ever covered over and you have to walk in the water to get over there.

On the other side is that just sandy to a certain point as well?

Do they limit the amount of people they bring to this island? If several people book from different ships, I can see this place being very crowded.

Thanks so much for the clarification and especially the videos. :)

From the looks of the video, it doesn't seem very far at all from the shore where the reef is at. According to where the waves were coming in, it looked very close.

So I know that this island is very small, but didn't realize that there's only a small walkway of sand in that area from one side to the other. :eek: Wow that looks really neat. I wonder if it's ever covered over and you have to walk in the water to get over there.

On the other side is that just sandy to a certain point as well?

Do they limit the amount of people they bring to this island? If several people book from different ships, I can see this place being very crowded.

I imagine that at times the water level might be higher as if you noticed there was a guy racking the debris off the sand bar. The part I videod was the 'front' side of the island and very nice sand beach. The back side was all rocks. One thing that I thought was interesting...they had an outhouse on the island. DH and I walked the whole back side of the island and noticed there was a pipe leading away from the outhouse straight to the open sea!:( I think there were 3 ships in port when we went and we had 2 boat loads there, but never seemed that crowded. If you chose not to snorkel, as you can see in the video, it seemed quite empty!:)

I imagine that at times the water level might be higher as if you noticed there was a guy racking the debris off the sand bar. The part I videod was the 'front' side of the island and very nice sand beach. The back side was all rocks. One thing that I thought was interesting...they had an outhouse on the island. DH and I walked the whole back side of the island and noticed there was a pipe leading away from the outhouse straight to the open sea!:( I think there were 3 ships in port when we went and we had 2 boat loads there, but never seemed that crowded. If you chose not to snorkel, as you can see in the video, it seemed quite empty!:)

Yuck!!!!!!!! :eek:

One thing that I thought was interesting...they had an outhouse on the island. DH and I walked the whole back side of the island and noticed there was a pipe leading away from the outhouse straight to the open sea!:( I think there were 3 ships in port when we went and we had 2 boat loads there, but never seemed that crowded. If you chose not to snorkel, as you can see in the video, it seemed quite empty!:)

Oh my. :eek: I read someone else mention that there were some out houses on the island and the first thing I thought is "I wonder who comes out to the island to pump in out and where does it go". I guess this answers my question. They must not have any sanitation rules there? :(

Glad to hear it never seemed crowded. I wonder if people just don't know about it or they will only schedule so many people to come when ships are in. :confused:

Archived