Bernard's Tour ?

obsessedsc

We are traveling with 5 adults and an 8 month old. I'm not thrilled with the options that the cruise line offers for st. martin. I have only read good reviews about Bernards. With the 8 month old I would want to do a private tour. Not interested whatsoever in shopping. Suggestions on about a 4-5 hour tour with him...maybe some sightseeing and definately a beach!? Want to book something though. I like things to be planned. I dont want to just wing it at the pier. I like the idea of going through a trusted company.

* we have been to Orient (kako beach) on a cruise tour and did not have the best experience. This was in 2007 though. we would be willing to give Orient a second try if it's highly reccommended!

*considered Le Galion but i think my 25 year old single brother is looking to rent a jet ski or something somewhere

thanks

Maho Bay (where the planes land) is a lot of fun. You could book a private tour, but follow the itinerary of the basic tour. Then you would be able to spend as much or as little time as you choose at each location.

With a tiny baby, you are smart to think private tour. Will you be travelling with your own car-seat?

• 4 weeks later...
thanks! well, actually bernard's email reply said that they would provide one for us! :)

What price did he quote you? We are thinking of either dealing with taxi's or a private tour. No one in our party of 6 is interested in stopping at Orient, would like to use that time at Maho.

What price did he quote you? We are thinking of either dealing with taxi's or a private tour. No one in our party of 6 is interested in stopping at Orient, would like to use that time at Maho.

We were a family of 6 adults and our private tour (March) was $350.00 a $50.00 deposit was needed to book the private tour by phone with Bernard using a credit card (he called personally) then the balance ($300.00) was paid at the beginning of our tour....

The quote I got was also $350 for 2 adults and 2 children. I thought it was expansive. But, if it is the same price for a larger group then it isn't that bad.

$350 I believe is his standard private tour rate. For the 6 of us, that comes out to a little over $60 plus tip.

I calculated the taxi rates on the island and I can do the same route (bypassing Orient, which we want) and do it for the 6 of us for $150, about $25 per person.

I think we are going to go with doing taxi's all over the island. We want to go from the port to Marigot in the morning, then taxi to Maho Beach until 3pm, then taxi back to the ship.

Although since majority rules on his tour and we have six, if we sign up for his regular tour at $40 pp wouldn't the 6 of us be the majority? Then we could ask the driver to bypass Orient.

Bernard's is great! We went on his tour the first time we went to St. Martin and he was awesome. It had a little of everything - Marigot, beach time, Maho, and those that wanted to shop, he would drop off in town, and the others he took back to the ship.

Last year we went back, rented a jeep and drove ourselves all over the island and ran into Bernard at a couple of places!

I would definitely do a private tour with a baby though!!

$350 I believe is his standard private tour rate. For the 6 of us, that comes out to a little over $60 plus tip.

I calculated the taxi rates on the island and I can do the same route (bypassing Orient, which we want) and do it for the 6 of us for $150, about $25 per person.

I think we are going to go with doing taxi's all over the island. We want to go from the port to Marigot in the morning, then taxi to Maho Beach until 3pm, then taxi back to the ship.

Although since majority rules on his tour and we have six, if we sign up for his regular tour at $40 pp wouldn't the 6 of us be the majority? Then we could ask the driver to bypass Orient.

On our tour with Bernard, we had 13 with a couple empty seats, and I believe that he has vehicles larger than that.

gary

Here's another suggestion for you. We love Bernard and have now used him twice. One thing to keep in mind is that not only do they provide all the transportation and stay with you (those taxi costs add up), but they also provide free rum punch, soda, local beer, etc. When stopping at Orient the van is right there to be able to get more refreshments. They also know when the big planes land at Maho.

Last December we wanted something different and booked a private tour. I ended up getting the price down to $50pp since we had a large group and we wanted to visit Pinel Island and stay awhile. This place is a hidden gem and priceless. Bernard will take you to the ferry where you will pay an extra fee (I can't remember exactly maybe $6) to get to Pinel Island. This is a private island across from Orient. There are a couple of restaurants and some great shopping here. You can rent chairs and umbrellas. The place on the left was much cheaper than the one on the right. We also picked out a huge lobster in a cage in the water and they grilled it right there for us. It was awesome.

The island was quiet, peaceful, and we didn't see any nudity. Definitely not crowded like you will find at Orient.

pinelisland.jpg

pinel.jpg

lobster.jpg

4.jpg

Kathy, when you did the private tour...Did he take you other places as well? Was Pinel Island in place of Orient? I like the tour that he has lined out except for Orient Beach. Is it possible to do Marigot, Maho, and Pinel Island? When he dropped you off at the ferry, he just waited until you came back from the ferry to take you back to the port? I have been to Orient and wasn't overly impressed, so I was looking at another alternative. Thanks!

Kathy, when you did the private tour...Did he take you other places as well? Was Pinel Island in place of Orient? I like the tour that he has lined out except for Orient Beach. Is it possible to do Marigot, Maho, and Pinel Island? When he dropped you off at the ferry, he just waited until you came back from the ferry to take you back to the port? I have been to Orient and wasn't overly impressed, so I was looking at another alternative. Thanks!

Yes we replaced Orient with Pinel and they dropped us off at the Ferry and came back for us at a prearranged time. That way we could spend as much time as we wanted there. We also had time to go to Maho beach for about an hour and stop and shop. You can really do what you want when it's a private tour but we always like the stop at Maho for the photo opportunities.

We liked Pinel much better since it wasn't as touristy and much less crowded.

Archived