Our bumpy, pot hole filled road to our Carnival Victory Vacation on 1/21/12 through 1

Kitt Lady

St. Thomas 01/23/12- Average Temperature 85 degrees

I could wake up every morning this way…

MG8504-M.jpg

We woke up early, coffee came and off to the balcony we went…

Watched the beautiful island of St. Thomas come closer and closer -Now that's the life.

We planned to go to Coki Beach and Coral World for the day. I had talked to and pre-arranged a taxi company in St. Thomas to pick us up.

When we got off of the ship and looked for the taxi company and couldn't find them. We were able to easily find transportation. There was a port man helping everyone to find the correct taxi/excursion company for you. When he asked what company I was looking for - turns out no one never heard of them. Whether that was a ploy or not I don't know; but we were able to easily find an open air Safari type bus/taxi going to Coki Beach. We did wait for the bus/taxi to get full. It really didn't take long at all. I would say it was about a 10 minute wait - at most.

You know how you're on this ship with about 4,000 people - yet you keep running into the same people over and over. One of our new friends we an older couple from (we're guessing) Belgium. She spoke VERY little broken English and her husband spoke no English at all. They were talking with the driver as we boarded the taxi. I leaned into my DH and said - they want the sky lift and they can walk that but they are getting on the taxi?

They got in the seat in front of us and we started talking to them. She asked what we were doing - we told her. She said - sounds good. She discussed it with her DH and off to the beach with us they went. I had to chuckle - they were afraid to get left behind. She would check in with us every now and then while we were on the beach. We explained to them about Coral World and they went there and I seen them Snorkeling too. I just had to smile - It was nice to be able to help.

IMG8569edited-1-M.jpg

This is the only picture I have of them. Boy, I wish I would've asked to take their picture. They were such a nice couple. We kept running into them everywhere. It was funny - you could see the relief on their faces to see a familiar face. Even her DH spotted us first and nudged her and they both smiled and came over to chat.

We spent the day at Coki Beach with plans to walk over to Coral World.

We arrived on the open air safari taxi and a man met us at the stop. He offered us beach chair rentals, snorkeling gear and a waitress for the day (each rental was separate). He asked what time we wanted picked up. He made the arrangements with the driver.

It worked out wonderful. He checked in with us every now and then and so did the waitress - just to see if we needed or wanted anything. Then when the time was coming close to the time we told him - he came and told us. Then when he confirmed we still wanted that time - he called the open air safari for us.

What I didn't realize until part way through the day - the beach was broken into (for lack of a better term) territories. Each group had a section and their own guests. You can do it on your own by turning them down; But it was nice to have someone to explain and/or help you find or do what you wanted. They aren't pushy at all. They offer the service and respect what you want. The next time we're in St. Thomas - I will definitely do it again.

Unfortunately, this is the day my internal temperature hasn't caught up the temperature outside. DS and GF did all the snorkeling. They LOVED it. They said the Snorkeling there was the best of the entire trip. They just chattered and chattered about what they seen.

IMG8517-M.jpg

IMG8519edited-1-M.jpg

MG8562edited-1-M.jpg

IMG8567edited-1-M.jpg

Great review. Girl, don't know how you kept your composer with your flying incident. I would have "fell out"-soooo stressed. Lol...great job coping.:D you are truly a testament to your family keeping your wits together.

This itinerary is my dream cruise plus 2 more sea days. Too bad it is not a 9 or 10 day cruise. Now that would be perfect!:D

Thanks! That helps a lot! Thanks for the picture too! We have a suite booked for our Magic cruise & a cove balcony for our Breeze. I'm sure after the Breeze my DH will want to always book a suite. We had an awesome aft wrap suite on the Spirit & I think it spoiled him! Nothing can compare to the deck 4 aft wraps on the Spirit class IMHO!! :D

We will book a suite from now on...we were spoiled...lol

I'm eyeing aft wraps on our upcoming Victory cruise. Right now we are aft-facing but I would looove that big balcony!!

I was thinking about one too. Then DH reminded me that the back of the Victory has a bit of movement. We walk every night to the ice cream machine in the back (you know walk off the calories before comsuming more lol) We both agreed we wouldn't want a cabin in the aft again. That AFT wrap looks soooooo nice...it's so tempting

Fabulous review! Love it and eagerly waiting for more! Question for you if you don't mind. What Howard Johnson did your DS and his GF stay at? You said it was a couple blocks away from your hotel that was Sheraton? Looking to book Sheraton for our pre-cruise hotel, but wanting a second hotel for back up. We want it to be just ask close to the pier as the Sheraton. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thank you. More review please!!! :D

Jena

Thank you! DH and I stayed at the Sheraton. (which I loved) The address for the Howard Johnson's is 202 San Jose Street Old San Juan, PR. Phone 787-722-9191. I'm guessing it was about a three block walk to the Sheraton. They had water issues - that's just a little warning. They loved the look of it though.

Great review!

How long did you stay at Coki?

We were there from about 9:00am to about 3:30 pm and headed back to the port. We were wanting to leave "oops time" on getting back to the ship....NEVER want to be a Peir runner...lol

how much was the taxi and the rentlas at coki beach? also, which side did the ship dock at each port if you remember? thanks :)

Taxi was $10 per person one way or basically $20 for round trip per person. I double checked with DH about the chairs on Coki beach. We're both fuzzy on exactly how much. He thought it was $5 per chair and I thought it was $10 per chair. Sorry - I should've wrote it down. You know how that goes - it's the ... oh I'll remember...

We docked at the same one as last year - WICO, St. Thomas. It's the one with the Skyride across the street.

Great review. Girl, don't know how you kept your composer with your flying incident. I would have "fell out"-soooo stressed. Lol...great job coping.:D you are truly a testament to your family keeping your wits together.

This itinerary is my dream cruise plus 2 more sea days. Too bad it is not a 9 or 10 day cruise. Now that would be perfect!:D

Thank you so much. I was just a woman on a mission...gotta get through the idiots to get to paradise!! I agree - I love this itinerary. I could do it next year - but I'm guess I won't get DH to do it for a third year in a row...lol.

We were there from about 9:00am to about 3:30 pm and headed back to the port. We were wanting to leave "oops time" on getting back to the ship....NEVER want to be a Peir runner...lol

Taxi was $10 per person one way or basically $20 for round trip per person. I double checked with DH about the chairs on Coki beach. We're both fuzzy on exactly how much. He thought it was $5 per chair and I thought it was $10 per chair. Sorry - I should've wrote it down. You know how that goes - it's the ... oh I'll remember...

We docked at the same one as last year - WICO, St. Thomas. It's the one with the Skyride across the street.

We must have been very close to you at Coki Beach that day. Four of the six in our group did a scuba dive with the dive shop located by Coral World. I looked at your photos, but I didn't see "us"!

My friend and I rented chairs and did some snorkeling while the others were diving and I believe the chairs were $5 each and an umbrella was $10. We started to rent the umbrella, but since there was enough shade under the trees we changed our mind. We probably could have gotten by without the chairs as well since we were in the water most of the time we were there. We basically just used the chairs to set our stuff on.

Looking forward to more of the review...

Love the review and pics, We are going in 44 days (who's counting) and we are just winging it in the ports. No tours, just on a mission to find a good beach for swimming and snorkeling and a little shopping for the wife. You sold us on Coki I think, looking foward to the rest of your trip. Keep up the great work.

Love the review and pics, We are going in 44 days (who's counting) and we are just winging it in the ports. No tours, just on a mission to find a good beach for swimming and snorkeling and a little shopping for the wife. You sold us on Coki I think, looking foward to the rest of your trip. Keep up the great work.

thats what we're doing cafirecapt. lazy vaca lol. please do a review of which beaches and prices if you would so we'll have an idea. :)

Thank you! DH and I stayed at the Sheraton. (which I loved) The address for the Howard Johnson's is 202 San Jose Street Old San Juan, PR. Phone 787-722-9191. I'm guessing it was about a three block walk to the Sheraton. They had water issues - that's just a little warning. They loved the look of it though.

Thank you Thank you! Your help is much appreciated! I'm really hoping to get a room at the Sheraton...just preparing myself with back ups just in case! Love your review! So much information!

Will do jks, we did tours last trip (Costa Rica/Panama) which was fun but I want nobodys schedule except mine this year (with the exception of the ship of course).I have an idea of where I want to go (thanks to great reviews like this one) but I will know better when I step off the ship.

How good is the shopping in St. Thomas? Should we go out of our way to go downtown or is there enough for a few hours at the port? We want to take a taxi to Sapphire Beach for a couple of hours too and maybe a stop at Paradise Point.

Overall - I am thrilled with the way our plans for St. Thomas worked out. Last year, we did the Megan's Beach day through Carnival. We were taken there at 8:00am and left at 12:00 noon. It was just too short of a time. By the time you start to enjoy the day - time to go. I definitely recommend the way we did our beach day. Only little down side - we enjoyed the beach so much that we never made it to Coral World….NEXT TIME!!

MG8575edited-1-M.jpg

MG8578edited-1-M.jpg

We boarded the ship and enjoyed the Lido deck for a little while - then we were off to get ready for dinner at the Main Dining Room. I was excited to go to the Main Dining Room. DH hates to sit with people we don't know, so in three Carnival cruises - I have only been to the Main Dining room (Including this cruise) TWICE. His argument was…if we knew the people I would go….Well, he knows them this time…~* WOOOO HOOO*~

We all met at the Main Dining room. I broke my "Golden Rule" never eat seafood away from home. I wanted to try something different. They had an assorted seafood dish with a sauce. I wasn't too happy with the sauce - it was a rich sauce. Just a little more rich then I like - everyone else at the table liked it. I know everyone raves about the Main Dining and the waiters. Our's just was so distracted with the dance they were going to do. Everyone's food was cold when it made it to the table. DS asked for bread and it never came until he was done with his meal. Drinks were late coming. Just was very unorganized. The dancing waiters was fun. Ohhhh was I hoping for better, so that tomorrows dinner was easier to get DH to go.

MG8589edited-1-M.jpg

MG8590edited-1-M.jpg

We walked the ship for a while and settled into the Lido Deck to people watch and chat for a while. I stopped back at the room to pick up a sweater and look what I was left…

MG8606edited-1-M.jpg

I had left over points on my Carnival Credit Card - so I spent them on a bag. I figured that way it would be in the cabin and I wouldn't have to give up precious space in my luggage.

IMG8601edited-1-M.jpg

Then off to bed.

Before I totally leave St. Thomas - I almost forgot about our little friend.

IMG8541edited-1-M.jpg

IMG8547edited-1-M.jpg

IMG8542edited-1-M.jpg

This little guy just didn’t want to leave us. OK, not until I made a completely idiot out of myself. We were having fun watching him. The picture my DH has him in his hand…weeeelllll…He jumped on my leg and those little suction cup toe were holding on to my leg for dear life. I ~*though not proud now*~ screamed like a girl on a horror movie. Yep…I've found out, I am one of "those" girls. I not only screamed like girl…but I'm sure it was a lovely flailing of my arms and legs that was the cincher to everyone's hysterical laughter around us. Soooooo…..That was my proudest moment on Coki Beach. I sat down and hoped no one would remember me…unlikely now though.

What an awesome review! I'm new to cruising but looking forward to many, many to come. This would be like a dream cruise for me.

PS-Congrats on the new addition and my prayers are with you and your family as well.

I booked my 1st cruise in January and it is 288 days away...maybe I should start some sort of journal/memory keeper thingy-ma-bob as I'm sure I'll want to look back for years to come. So, kuddos to you. Glad to know I won't be the only "very-organized" cruiser ((as I've seen many on this site, I love it!)).

Thanks again for taking the time to post...looking forward to more.

Oh this is a GREAT review. I'm Subscribed. Your flying ordeal is horrible. I can't believe some of the people treated you like that. You're paying THEIR paycheck! Employees being rude and/or mean to costumers gets me really worked up. That's one of the reasons I love my job. I like to leave a good impression on the costumers, because its the gate agents, cabin crew, and the flight crew that everyone sees; "Oh I loved when the pilot sang to us at the end of the flight." or "It was cool that the pilot played trivia with us while we were delayed at the gate and then gave out prizes for correct answers." or "I hated all the Star Trek references in the pilot's announcements but they were funny."

But, the de-ice delay in Philly is common. Those guys can get REALLY backed up.

Archived