Magnet?

croozluv

Feel dumb asking this but everybody here says to take a magnet to keep the AC running when your balcony door is open. What kind of magnet? Heavy duty? Bendable? Seems like a dumb question but I have no idea how the whole magnet-in-door-frame works!

Thanks everybody!

Personally, I think that using a magnet to over-ride the balcony door switch for the air-conditioner is very selfish - why do you think that switch is there? Essentially you are trying to cool the Caribbean - definitely not one of the top ten ways to help keep cruise prices affordable.

Keith

Personally, I think that using a magnet to over-ride the balcony door switch for the air-conditioner is very selfish - why do you think that switch is there? Essentially you are trying to cool the Caribbean - definitely not one of the top ten ways to help keep cruise prices affordable.

Keith

I agree with you. Would you really do this at your house? Have the a/c blasting and all the doors and windows open.

Feel dumb asking this but everybody here says to take a magnet to keep the AC running when your balcony door is open. What kind of magnet? Heavy duty? Bendable? Seems like a dumb question but I have no idea how the whole magnet-in-door-frame works!

Thanks everybody!

Sometimes these boards are very helpful, sometimes not so much. I hope you find your answer. Sorry you're being hit with such criticism.

Here we go...

The OP asked a simple question, which I would answer of I knew what the answer is. Yet they will be hit with dozens of people telling them what a horrible human being they are.

Good luck OP,

Sometimes these boards are very helpful, sometimes not so much. I hope you find your answer. Sorry you're being hit with such criticism.

I'm sorry if you think that I'm out of line for expressing my opinion - in no way was I criticizing the OP. My criticism is reserved for the practice of circumventing ship-board control systems that is encouraged by some CC members.

Thanks everybody!

Small one, size of a penny is fine and it doesn't have to be strong. It's a small magnetic contact like you would see used for alarm systems on doors.

You may find the magnet is unnecessary.

This is true, not all ships have this. On some the A/C keeps running with the balcony door open.

I tend to only use this when I have parties in the room and lots of people are coming and going on the balcony. The room tends to get hot after a short time if the A/C is off (or continually going on and off) with the balcony door open.

This is true, not all ships have this. On some the A/C keeps running with the balcony door open.

I tend to only use this when I have parties in the room and lots of people are coming and going on the balcony. The room tends to get hot after a short time if the A/C is off (or continually going on and off) with the balcony door open.

Hmm. I was on the Sensation. I can't say if the ac turned off. I napped with the door open and it was nice. Maybe the ac was still on. LOL. I don't honestly know. It was a NICE nap though.

I thought they all shut off.

Thanks everybody!

WHy would you want the A/C on if the door is open????

I open the door to get a fresh sea air breeze. If it is to hot outside I keep the door closed and the AC works

Keith

Agreed 100%

I'm sorry if you think that I'm out of line for expressing my opinion - in no way was I criticizing the OP. My criticism is reserved for the practice of circumventing ship-board control systems that is encouraged by some CC members.

Perhaps critisizing wasn't the correct word. I just noticed that within his first three responses, he was referred to as "very selfish" and compared to government subsidized housing. I know we all have different beliefs, values, etc., but if we can't help with the orignial question, should we just bypass that post and move onto one where we can be more helpful? Not trying to disagree or debate, just offering another option. :)

I remember growing up, one of my friends lived in gov't subsidized housing. In the summer, they would have the windows open and the AC on. In the winter, they would have the windows open and the heat on.

That is one of my gripes. Here in Mi they have a progam to help pay the energy bills for the so called poor and want people to donate to it. When my parents lived in a older neighborhood we would try to conserve energy to keep our costs down. People who live by us that were always getting handouts, ADC, welfare and etc would have all the lights on all day an night, have windows open and have the heat turn up in winter or cooling down in summer. A lot of it was because they were smokers and needed ventilate the house because they couldn't put up with the smoke.

First and foremost, I'd like to thank those of you who took the time to answer my question without being judgmental.

Those of you who choose not to keep the door open and the AC on, that's your decision. I choose to make my own. I won't berate you for your decision.

However, if you must know, I'm not on government subsidies and I don't feel like I'm selfish either. We are booked in a wrap-around cabin that is a suite, going with a group and plan on having a happy hour in our suite. I'd prefer not to have the hassle of opening/closing the door and would like my AC left on. Furthermore, I chose to do the same thing at home, where I live, in Florida, where I pay my electric bill without government subsidies, on time every month. No, I don't leave the AC on/door open on a daily basis, but I don't notice a change in my electric bill when I have pool parties by doing this. My money, my choice. Just like on a cruise. My money, my choice.

And since you felt it was your place to tell me I'm being selfish, I find the most selfish people are those who push their views on others.

Again, thank you to those who could simply answer a question without pushing whatever is right in your mind, because, frankly, opinions of others will not change my decision to leave my door open and AC on. Either at home or on a cruise ship.

First and foremost, I'd like to thank those of you who took the time to answer my question without being judgmental.

Those of you who choose not to keep the door open and the AC on, that's your decision. I choose to make my own. I won't berate you for your decision.

However, if you must know, I'm not on government subsidies and I don't feel like I'm selfish either. We are booked in a wrap-around cabin that is a suite, going with a group and plan on having a happy hour in our suite. I'd prefer not to have the hassle of opening/closing the door and would like my AC left on. Furthermore, I chose to do the same thing at home, where I live, in Florida, where I pay my electric bill without government subsidies, on time every month. No, I don't leave the AC on/door open on a daily basis, but I don't notice a change in my electric bill when I have pool parties by doing this. My money, my choice. Just like on a cruise. My money, my choice.

And since you felt it was your place to tell me I'm being selfish, I find the most selfish people are those who push their views on others.

Again, thank you to those who could simply answer a question without pushing whatever is right in your mind, because, frankly, opinions of others will not change my decision to leave my door open and AC on. Either at home or on a cruise ship.

You and I, just like everyone else, have the ability to choose which conventions of society (laws, rules, warnings, built-in controls, etc) we will follow and which we will contravene. We will have to agree to disagree about this issue of keeping AC running with doors open.

A public forum with the name Cruise Critic will, by definition, be filled with freely offered opinions. With nearly 800,000 members, it is impossible for those opinions to all be the same (it would likely be a very boring place if they were).

I wish you maximum enjoyment from all your cruising experiences.

Keith

Thanks everybody!

fda9bfb0.jpg

We were on the Dream last month. This is what was posted on the door. I have to agree with them. Strong winds. The weather was excellent and even on relateivly calm days the wind comming into the cabin could knock you over. Luckily they had very good door closers or I would have chopped off a foot when the wind swept it out of my hand.

I didn't notice any switches to bypass. It did not have sliding doors.

Which ever you choose open or closed...have a good cruise!

first and foremost, i'd like to thank those of you who took the time to answer my question without being judgmental.

Those of you who choose not to keep the door open and the ac on, that's your decision. I choose to make my own. I won't berate you for your decision.

However, if you must know, i'm not on government subsidies and i don't feel like i'm selfish either. We are booked in a wrap-around cabin that is a suite, going with a group and plan on having a happy hour in our suite. I'd prefer not to have the hassle of opening/closing the door and would like my ac left on. Furthermore, i chose to do the same thing at home, where i live, in florida, where i pay my electric bill without government subsidies, on time every month. No, i don't leave the ac on/door open on a daily basis, but i don't notice a change in my electric bill when i have pool parties by doing this. My money, my choice. Just like on a cruise. My money, my choice.

And since you felt it was your place to tell me i'm being selfish, i find the most selfish people are those who push their views on others.

Again, thank you to those who could simply answer a question without pushing whatever is right in your mind, because, frankly, opinions of others will not change my decision to leave my door open and ac on. Either at home or on a cruise ship.

:) :)

I just took bungee to hold the door open and never worried about the magnet. We had a aft wrap on Splendor. If you really want to get beat up, start a smuggling thread, before it is finished you will be responsible for the demise of the whole cruise industry along with sinking the Concordia you will be called a thief, law breaker, and every kind of lowlife cheat all over saving $15.00 on a bottle of booze.

Keith

I had to double check to make sure I wasn't on the Holland America line or Canard line boards with all the better than thou posts

Yes you were.

I just took bungee to hold the door open and never worried about the magnet. We had a aft wrap on Splendor. If you really want to get beat up, start a smuggling thread, before it is finished you will be responsible for the demise of the whole cruise industry along with sinking the Concordia you will be called a thief, law breaker, and every kind of lowlife cheat all over saving $15.00 on a bottle of booze.

Just wondering......what is the best way to smuggle a door magnet past security? :D

+1

LOL, I love it.

Archived