Chichen Itza or Uxmal?

brigand13

I just got back off the Elation and in Progresso, went to Uxmal.

It was a great trip.

I was with AutoProgresso and we left at 10:00 a.m. There was only 9 of us on the tour. We arrived around 11:40 a.m. Our guide walked us around explaining about the Mayans and the symbolism. We had plenty of time to enjoy on our own.

There were few people there and no large groups. Even though only 3% of the ruins are recovered from the jungle, it's beyond words. It was amazing and to enjoy the ruins without crowds.

I'm still working on my photos and they are amazing.

I would suggest Uxmal!

so how is Coba compared with Tulum?

Very different. Apples and oranges, if you will. Coba is a work in progress, still being excavated, and in a tranquil, forested location (and you can climb a pyramid there). Tulum is in a very dramatic position next to the turquoise ocean, but the buildings are not as impressive.

I think a good way to get an idea of all the ruins mentioned (or any destination) is to go on YouTube and look at some of the videos other travelers have posted.

I'm glad you enjoyed Uxmal as much as we did. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Are you also planning to do a review of your cruise?

I'm almost finish with my photos. Before the cruise I was in New Orleans three days,cruise and half day in New Orleans afterwards.

I was going to a mini review in the solo section and on the review page

• 4 weeks later...
Now I'm wondering if we should try Uxmal. We can't figure out what to do in Progreso. Wild horses holding me at gunpoint couldn't drag me back to Chichen Itxa, so I know that's out. I'm going to look more at Uxmal now!:)

My wife doesn't normally enjoy the ruin tours, so I go with my daughter. She did enjoy our visit to Uxmal a couple years ago. Beautiful buildings, lots of grass and no crowds.

Quote .... brigand13

Chichen Itza is a chance to see one of the principal cities of the Mayan Empire and one the 7 Wonders of the World. That's pretty cool.

==================================================

Chichen Itza was our choice MANY years ago. Not into Mayan Ruins so wanted to see the BEST when we did. You'll not regret your decision to go there as time goes by.... :)

LuLu

~~~~

I just got back off the Elation and in Progresso, went to Uxmal.

It was a great trip.

I was with AutoProgresso and we left at 10:00 a.m. There was only 9 of us on the tour. We arrived around 11:40 a.m. Our guide walked us around explaining about the Mayans and the symbolism. We had plenty of time to enjoy on our own.

There were few people there and no large groups. Even though only 3% of the ruins are recovered from the jungle, it's beyond words. It was amazing and to enjoy the ruins without crowds.

I'm still working on my photos and they are amazing.

I would suggest Uxmal!

Glad you enjoyed your Uxmal trip with AP. When we were there in June AP did not have enough people signed up to do the Uxmal tour so we just did their Technotel tour and toured the very small Xcambo ruins. Next year we will try Uxmal again and book with Carnival if nothing else. AP had emailed me several days prior to our cruise to let me know that at that time, my daughter and I were the only two booked and they had to have at least 6 or 8 people.

Archived